• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
How is Valencia more efficient than Bale ffs, he was shunted to RB years ago. All he gives you is effort.

Do we really need to list what Bale’s done in the game?

Shunted to RB where he has gone on to be on the of the clubs most consistent performers, captains the side most of the time and is a fan favourite, but hey downplay it all you want.

I do not in any way rate Bale. He's injury prone, he is inconsistent, he relies on his speed and I'd take Valencia in my side over him. I know that he is more glamorous, a bigger name, etc but he's done sweet **** all for a while now.

As I've said, I've made some absolute moronic posts on here in the last 10 years, I could rattle them off for hours, but that's one I stand behind.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Cahill's no world-beater but he would probably have done better than Mustafi.

I laugh that now Mustafi is the worst defender the club have seen, yet like always, in his first 3-4 months he was apparently world class and no one could believe how smart the club were to sign him.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I laugh that now Mustafi is the worst defender the club have seen, yet like always, in his first 3-4 months he was apparently world class and no one could believe how smart the club were to sign him.
I don't think he is the worst defender we've had by a long stretch... I remember Stepanovs, Caesar and a host of other duds. In fact, if he were able to keep his concentration and stay on his feet more he might actually be a pretty good one. But Cahill's performance over the years with Chelsea has certainly been much better than Mustafi's time with us.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
On the contrary. The problem is that when a young player has put in a couple of decent performances he's been dropped to make way for an underperforming senior player.

Being realistic, there is no way the new manager is going to spend his limited funds on two centre-backs. Not even if Mustafi goes.
Nowhere did you see me advocating for playing an underperforming senior player. I'm saying that we can't get caught in the trap of thinking a couple of good shifts from a young player means we don't have to invest. I also have to dispute what you've said. Bellerin came in and ended Debuchy. Iwobi was one of the reasons Perez never played.

Now compare that to how many times Wenger didn't sign a player in a position of weakness and then came out and said "If you do that you kill *insert name of young player here*". This club has not been ruthless enough in its assessment of any player and when I hear people suggesting that players who have looked good in a couple of matches (when they've looked awful in many or those are the only few matches we've ever seen them play in at senior level) are definitely the solution and we shouldn't be looking to more established options then I cringe because that's come back to bite us over and over again.

Also given that we don't actually have a manger, don't know how much input that manager will have regarding transfers and don't know what sort of budget we will have this summer it's a bit premature to talk about what players they will and won't be spending on. But if we'd like to play that guessing game then I would imagine that a manager looking at the squad and seeing our attacking options compared to our options in midfield and defense is probably going to view defenders as a more pressing concern especially given that the only proven one is old and has just done his achilles.

Reactions: Jae

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I don't think he is the worst defender we've had by a long stretch... I remember Stepanovs, Caesar and a host of other duds. In fact, if he were able to keep his concentration and stay on his feet more he might actually be a pretty good one. But Cahill's performance over the years with Chelsea has certainly been much better than Mustafi's time with us.
Who the hell is Caesar? I've followed Arsenal like a religion for the last 25 years and I have not heard of this name.

Mustafi is the worst centerback considering how much we paid. He is like a Mangala signing for us.
Squillaci is the other crap one followed by Silvestre.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
No. No. No. This is exactly the kind of mentality that has screwed us for years. A young player puts in a couple of decent performances and then we consider it problem solved. They then regress or revert to their normal inconsistent level and we are left short of quality. Lather, rinse, repeat. For once I would like to see us stop doing that and show a ruthless streak. Bring in 2 absolutely top CBs and then challenge the kids to supplant them. If they can't do that then they can either be bench options or binned. That's what a winning culture is.

I'm being realistic, we wont buy 2 new CB's because we need a GK, DM & AM. If Bellerin goes add RB to the list. A new CB with Chambers would be a step up from what we had this year, especially with a decent keeper behind them. Marvro & Holding would be good back ups. If we can buy 2 new CB's great, send Holding on loan but its very unlikely.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Chambers is going to be massively important for us moving forward. At Saints he mostly played as a right back and the club saw him as a right back. If we move to a system where we dont have both full backs playing as pseudo wingers we will need cover there as even though Chambers is proving himself at CB Im pretty sure Bellerin is going to be on his bike in the summer so we are going to need a right back + back up.
Whatever pace he does/doesnt add Id guarantee he's a better crosser of the ball than Bellerin anyway.
I think getting one new cb is realistically what we can expect but hopefully he will be the sort of leader and defender we havent seen in years at Arsenal.

Last edited:

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I dont want him as permanent starting right back but he has the flexibility to play there and is solid so defo think he has a future here and hes starting to show what he can do in the middle as well which is good. Clean sheet today for the boys, good stuff...

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Hopefully he will be one of the first names on the teamsheet under a new manager. Feels like it's really his time to shine now.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I'll be honest I didn't believe he has it in him to become first choice for a top team but with performances like this I can see it. Keep it up!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Love how comfortable he is on the ball, he has improved so much in that regard. In this form and assuming it’s his level going forward, he’s the perfect utility player you need at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten
Top Bottom