• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers (Out)

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We need an incoming Tony Pulis or Swansea bid. They've both got money from potential sales.

There's no place for Chambers here. He'd do well to go to one of those teams.

tcahill

He's only 22 and already has a solid premier league season beneath his belt, and showed promise for us too.
People on here think Holding is the next Maldini, and he's the same age as Chambers with less to show for it.

His wages aren't exactly a financial strain either, might as well keep him around, play him in cup and EL games, see how he does. If he struggles we can still sell him later for only a few mill less.

JHusMan

He's only 22 and already has a solid premier league season beneath his belt, and showed promise for us too.
People on here think Holding is the next Maldini, and he's the same age as Chambers with less to show for it.

His wages aren't exactly a financial strain either, might as well keep him around, play him in cup and EL games, see how he does. If he struggles we can still sell him later for only a few mill less.

This is the exact reason why we've held onto Walcott and such for so long. Chambers looked good in a very defensive system at Boro, had A LOT of cover and a solid defender in Gibson next to him. With us it just will not work, he isn't athletic, he isn't great at passing or dribbling either. He isn't very tall or very strong, he's simply average.

tcahill

This is the exact reason why we've held onto Walcott and such for so long. Chambers looked good in a very defensive system at Boro, had A LOT of cover and a solid defender in Gibson next to him. With us it just will not work, he isn't athletic, he isn't great at passing or dribbling either. He isn't very tall or very strong, he's simply average.

Its a gamble mate. Would you rather get 15 mill for Chambers now, and risk losing a quality CB in the future (especially in todays market?). We gambled on Walcott and lost, true, but there are plenty of other examples where clubs have let players go only to regret it later. If you think that we should just sell him, fair enough, I just think that in a 3 at the back he'll have plenty of chances to play, and we'll lose almost nothing by keeping him another season.

What I think we disagree on is his actual quality. I agree he's far from a first teamer here, but I think he has the potential to be. He's good in the air, a smart tackler and very composed on the ball for someone of his age. He was a candidate for Middlesborough player of the season (not that its saying much I admit), and while he did have heavy protection, he also had plenty of attacks to snuff out, far more than the average PL team.

JHusMan

Its a gamble mate. Would you rather get 15 mill for Chambers now, and risk losing a quality CB in the future (especially in todays market?). We gambled on Walcott and lost, true, but there are plenty of other examples where clubs have let players go only to regret it later. If you think that we should just sell him, fair enough, I just think that in a 3 at the back he'll have plenty of chances to play, and we'll lose almost nothing by keeping him another season.

What I think we disagree on is his actual quality. I agree he's far from a first teamer here, but I think he has the potential to be. He's good in the air, a smart tackler and very composed on the ball for someone of his age. He was a candidate for Middlesborough player of the season (not that its saying much I admit), and while he did have heavy protection, he also had plenty of attacks to snuff out, far more than the average PL team.

I do see your point. I'd just personally sell him for 15-20m and then put that towards a top class CB such as Van Dijk/Manolas etc.

If the option was to get rid of Chambers to bring in a top CB who was aged around 24-27 then I think everyone would jump at it.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Who would you recommend as a CB signing then?? Those are the two best that are available. Or is Wenger just being stingy and should sign Pique or Hummels for £100m+
Dijk would be good, but as much as I like Manolas I dont think he would be great here. Laporte has a big release clause, but would still cost less then Dijk probably.
There's other good defenders around, but people want names, not better players for a certain system.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He could come good could come bad. We don't know. We do know currently he isn't what we need. So why gamble if a good offer is there that allows us to buy someone for now? Jordan Ibe looked a good player and Liverpool pocketed a cool 15m or so for him. If they kept him they wouldn't get that for him now.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Manolas has potential to be world class
I hope he does, but I doubt it. He is a perfect defender for defensive minded teams. Could literally end up being the new Terry in a moronho chelski system, but it wouldnt make him world class individually

tcahill

Manolas has potential to be world class

Manolas is a great raw defender, but is very average on the ball. Van Dijk would fit us better and has PL experience. Someone here mentioned Laporte, would love that lad at AFC.

He could come good could come bad. We don't know. We do know currently he isn't what we need. So why gamble if a good offer is there that allows us to buy someone for now? Jordan Ibe looked a good player and Liverpool pocketed a cool 15m or so for him. If they kept him they wouldn't get that for him now.

Read my post #344. I explained my position there. Even if Chambers utterly flopped this season, we'd still get around 10 mill because of his age and nationality. You gain 10 mill or a reasonable chance at a future good CB. If you think we should sell, fair enough, I just think we could gain much more from keeping, and lose very little. (And we do need squaddies for CB, especially with 3 at the back)

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Love Manolas but he is not top class, neither is Dijk

I'd be quite happy with signing Van Dijk, but you're right. People always overrate players from other clubs who get a lot of press (especially links to other clubs for big money). But if you go to Squawka and use the comparison matrix, you'll find that his per 90 metrics are strikingly similar to Mustafi's in almost every defensive category (Mustafi actually even edged him out with lower defensive errors). Yet some of the same folks who think Van Dijk is the Second Coming think Mustafi is crap and not good enough. People are to influenced by what they read in the papers and on the internet. Plus I think sometimes because they watch Arsenal play regularly they see the imperfections in Arsenal's players that they don't see in players who aren't on their TV screens so much.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cesc starting at 16 still skews Arsenal fan views on age

More to do with Wenger offering only one year extensions to players over 30 at one point.

Funny how the media are surprised by us letting players run down contracts. At one point Bergkamp was on a rolling one year contract even though his performances never dipped. Times have changed but Wenger hasn't.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I agree with a lot of the points here about the merits of Chambers and Mustafi. I do like both of them. It's still wait and see with Chambers but I definitely think Mustafi's a good defender.

My only worry is just about size. Who was the last team to win the Premier League without at least one big CB? Was there ever one?

As good as Mustafi and Chambers may be in a 3 at the back, 3 relatively small defenders (and the majority of our CBs are small for the PL) will always come a cropper and cost points at some stage, especially against teams lower down the league.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree with a lot of the points here about the merits of Chambers and Mustafi. I do like both of them. It's still wait and see with Chambers but I definitely think Mustafi's a good defender.

My only worry is just about size. Who was the last team to win the Premier League without at least one big CB? Was there ever one?

As good as Mustafi and Chambers may be in a 3 at the back, 3 relatively small defenders (and the majority of our CBs are small for the PL) will always come a cropper and cost points at some stage, especially against teams lower down the league.

I think the type of centre back is more important. Both Kos and MustafI like to win the ball early. We need a centre back who can read the game like Mertesacker. They are harder to find that physicaly beasts like Davison Sanchez. I'm nit envious of Sanchez. I would have lost my mind if they got De Ligt. He is the reader and the distributer.

tcahill

I disagree with the myth that we can't compete unless we have two 6'4 towers at CB, which seems to be one of the main reoccurring arguments against Chambers

Size in itself isn't a proper quality, however it plays a key role in both strength and aerial ability, which are crucial for CBs. Shorter CBs can have both of those attributes in abundance, for example Chambers is better aerially than Holding and at least on par strength wise, despite being 7cm shorter. Silva, Ramos, Godin etc are some of the best CBs in the world, without noticeable height.

I think the type of centre back is more important. Both Kos and MustafI like to win the ball early. We need a centre back who can read the game like Mertesacker. They are harder to find that physicaly beasts like Davison Sanchez. I'm nit envious of Sanchez. I would have lost my mind if they got De Ligt. He is the reader and the distributer.

Good point, the middle CB in a back 3 needs to be a excellent reader and a strong tackler. Kos and Mustafi are better suited to side CBs, where mobility and distribution are just as important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom