Calum Chambers: Ready to Make an Impact?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by entropy13, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

Chambers deserves a go on merit. Start picking the performers ffs. One thing is for sure, he's a better footballer than Bellerin, if he's not a better RB.
  2. Cudareli

Cudareli Well-Known Member

It's exactly this. A modern day fullback can have a stinker all game then make one overlapping run or last ditch tackle and all of a sudden be seen to have had a blinder.

While there is no doubting that pace at fullback is a terrific asset, I personally think intelligence is far more important. The reality is that it's all about balance in a side, including fullbacks. Ben Davies at Tottenham has had a superb season to date and is considered slow by most, the same goes with Fabian Delph.
    KrissKringle likes this.
  3. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Speed (different from mobility) in my opinion, is one of the most overrated qualities a footballer can possibly have.

Fullbacks like Gary Neville, Phillip Lahm and Maldini were/are horrendously slow but they are all considered some of the best fullbacks to ever play the game, because they were intelligent and hard working.

Theo was lightening quick and was a half decent finisher but pretty much lacked everything else. If he'd have lacked a yard of pace but had a better set of feet he probably would have made it here.
  4. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

What? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you ever watch either of those two at their peak?

Maldini was a physical freak, used to run the left hand side.

It was only as he aged that he got slower and begun playing as a CB.
  5. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

He wasn't known for his speed, he was known for his stamina :rolleyes:
  6. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

Chambers will get destroyed against any quick/agile winger with any quality.
    say yes likes this.
  7. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

I suggest you go watch Maldini in his prime.

A complete athlete.
  8. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

I've had the pleasure of seeing them all play. Thanks anyway.
  9. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

Of course you have..

10. Kroket

Kroket Well-Known Member Trusted

Agreed, I want Chambers to get a sustained run in the side from now until the end of the season, see if regular playing time helps him get rid of those lapses in concentration. Whenever he ****s up now he tends to disappear from the team sheet for weeks on end, that's no way to improve a young player.
    Brown Gooner likes this.
  11. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Not sure why that is funny to be honest :lol: surely anyone who's been a football fan for more than 5 minutes has watched these guys play multiple times?

If you'd like to discuss these guys further then DM me so we aren't derailing the thread!
  12. thierrytheking14

thierrytheking14 Well-Known Member

Ok Maldini doesn't quite have the out and pace of Bellerin but he's quick mate. First minute or two will confirm it.

Think his advancing years at CB may be clouding your judgement ;)
    Jae likes this.
  13. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Fair enough mate, never remembered him as being particularly quick (definitely got slower as the years went on) perhaps slow was an overstatement (although was more referring to G Nev in that regard :lol: )
    thierrytheking14 likes this.
  14. thierrytheking14

thierrytheking14 Well-Known Member

Yea he had reoccurring knee injuries which definitely affected his mobility in his later years and prompted the move to CB.

And less said about Neville the better :lol:
    Jae likes this.
  15. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

with 4th place gone Wenger can afford to experiment with the side, and give regular playing time to the younger players

and give the older knackered ones like Kos a decent rest for the Europa

more playing time and more recovery time will help both young and old make their WC squads
    DanDare, krengon and Kroket like this.
  16. OSBK

OSBK Well-Known Member

No doubt, but that goes for any of our fullbacks and cb's and cm's.

Gotta use the best of a bad bunch.
  17. say yes

say yes Very Stable Genius

When @Jury gets it in for a player there’s really no way back. Sending my thoughts and prayers to Hector.
  18. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

Hopefully Bellerin will respond well to some much needed competition.

That’s the order they should be in.
  19. say yes

say yes Very Stable Genius

Chambers is a CB for me. If Wenger’s binning anyone from the first team it should be that Albanian ginger.
    HBL likes this.
  20. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

Agreed, he still somehow managed to look incredibly average in what was the most assured defensive performance we’ve had in a while. Take whatever money we can get for him and run, hopefully £20-25m :D