• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Chambers is clearly a CB long term but there's no need to be arguing about where he should play. Whether it's at CB or RB it's just good to see him getting some minutes this season. Sure I don't know if he'll make it as a top CB in the end but he's a young player and it's not like we spent a fortune on him. The rush to judge Chambers, and Holding for that matter, isn't needed. Chambers is still a serviceable back-up CB and Holding can still go out on loan.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Speed (different from mobility) in my opinion, is one of the most overrated qualities a footballer can possibly have.

Fullbacks like Gary Neville, Phillip Lahm and Maldini were/are horrendously slow but they are all considered some of the best fullbacks to ever play the game, because they were intelligent and hard working.

Theo was lightening quick and was a half decent finisher but pretty much lacked everything else. If he'd have lacked a yard of pace but had a better set of feet he probably would have made it here.
Oh Maldini was horrendously slow? That's news to every one of us who actually saw him play instead of adding him into a weak argument to give it weight.

Jae

Oh Maldini was horrendously slow? That's news to every one of us who actually saw him play instead of adding him into a weak argument to give it weight.

As I said previously mate, was "horrendously slow" was probably a bit harsh on my part. Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully :lol:

Maldini's positional sense, tackling ability, work rate, engine and amazing reading of the game was what made him world class, nothing to do with how quick he was or wasn't.

Like others have said, by the end of his career his speed had deserted him and he was still world class, which brings me back to my original point...

Speed - which appears to be the only significant thing Bellerin has over Chambers - is at times overrated. :rolleyes:

Don't exactly see how that's a weak argument to be fair when the majority of our recent pacey players have been either poor technically or mentally.

pikey2000

Agreed on the pace argument, useful but overrated unless your Dani Alves who has the skill to compliment the speed, Dixon/Lauren/Sagna some of our best full backs weren't exactly speed merchants, they were solid, good positional sense with the ability go forward if required.

Bellerin doesnt really make full use of his speed anyway, the number of times he turns to play the ball back or sideways instead of trying to beat his man is crazy, he really needs to start "having a go" more often, too afraid to fail imo, probably because we are hung up on being a possession side, unless he makes use of his speed more often I can honestly pick out another trait that has him nailed on to start over Chambers to be quite honest.

Reactions: Jae

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
:lol:

When @Jury gets it in for a player there’s really no way back. Sending my thoughts and prayers to Hector.
Sometimes it just goes. My pride has taken a huge blow because I really thought he had it what it took. I feel betrayed by him and ashamed I got it wrong. So yes, this is the early stages of Hectors AM assassination. He'll be gone soon anyway, the PJ wearing gonk.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Thought he was very good again last night.

Deserves a run of games at CB.
I have been one of his biggest critics but after all the dodgy performances he put in he has shown great resillience by picking himself up in some tough matches. Confidence and consistency are what he needs.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I would still like to see him in midfield at some point, he played there for England's under age groups and I remember a highly regarded youth coach saying that is where he sees him playing in the future.

The English Busquets.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I would still like to see him in midfield at some point, he played there for England's under age groups and I remember a highly regarded youth coach saying that is where he sees him playing in the future.

The English Busquets.

Pretty certain Wenger has tried that a couple of times with him (somebody can double-check). If I remember correctly, he was all over the place - no positional awareness.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Pretty certain Wenger has tried that a couple of times with him (somebody can double-check). If I remember correctly, he was all over the place - no positional awareness.

You sure you're not getting him confused with Ramsey?

Seriously, you have to give a young player more than a few games to adapt when he is (re)learning a position and "no positional awareness" is a far bigger issue for a centre back than it is for a midfielder.

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Yeah, I remember that. Probably used there once or twice for a short amount of time, but I can see him play there if he's taught to do it.
The question is, in what game do you try him in that position? You can't afford to do it in the league, because it might lead to conceding and certainly in no european competition, so that leaves the Mickey Mouse cup or when you're leading comfortably 3 or 4-0 with 15 minutes to go.

Jae

The question is, in what game do you try him in that position? You can't afford to do it in the league, because it might lead to conceding and certainly in no european competition, so that leaves the Mickey Mouse cup or when you're leading comfortably 3 or 4-0 with 15 minutes to go.

You say that but we've got nothing left to play for in the league this season so wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You say that but we've got nothing left to play for in the league this season so wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.
If we start to play like **** again, then sure.But I was mostly referring to next season, when we convince ourselves it will be different, only to be the same old story like every year. :p
Right now we're in a decent form. Three wins in a row with only one goal conceded is quite the improvement from the Benny Hill show we had in our defense just two weeks ago.
However, I'm pretty sure we would go back to leaking goals like crazy against an opponent who presses a lot.

Reactions: Jae

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If it really was a thought in Wengers mind he’d try him there in preseason

He’s a CB for me and hopefully he can kick in and become a good one

OSBK

Established Member
Make or break, we cannot keep saying he is the future whilst we get torn to shreds in the league.

Summer straight swap for maquire and maybe some cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom