• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Can Chuba Akpom be the #9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan
AFC have been in search for a top tier striker since Robin defected to Wankers FC.

He’s a willing kid who threatens defences by bursting in behind them, which is good for the team and great for a team like Arsenal as it gives space and time for the midfielders to work their magic.

He has strength and pace, and a great goal scoring record for the youth team.

Could be be given the #9 and trusted at Arsenal?

It's worked amazing well for Sturridge at Pool. A bit of trust and consistency saw Daniel turn from a new kid on the block to a household name which shocked everybody. I see a few similarities between the two, similar circumstances, unable to get game time, showing promise, very determined and confident, just looking for an opportunity.

As an English fan, I'd love for Chuba to be given that chance. Young Lionheart.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Sturridge was further down his development when he joined Liverpool than where Chuba is at now. Chuba now is where Sturridge was at City - all before his Chelsea move, Bolton loan, games then wide at Chelsea etc.

Chuba will most likely have to go out on loan and score consistently to pressure Wenger into giving him a shot here.

Have high hopes for him, don't think it's too outlandish to say he looks more exciting than all of our senior options.

Danskin

Established Member
It's still very early to tell but he possesses many interesting qualities and he already has a pretty good goalscoring record at youth level. He's quick, strong and finishes well. I think he needs to go out on loan this season and play regularly to aid his development. There's no reason why he can't be our next #9.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Normally I'd say no, but considering Yaya ****ing Sanogo started upfront for us in the FA cup he should at least be considered.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He's got everything to make it here, needs a good season long loan though.

GabeGooner

No. Walcott and Welbeck are both in front of him, and Giroud seems to be in front of them. Why play Akpom? Why force it?

Send him on loan and let him develop his game and his confidence. If he's good enough, he'll come back and establish himself. That's how the top teams do it; that's how we have to do it if we want to compete with them.

cannonade

Established Member
Normally I'd say no, but considering Yaya ****ing Sanogo started upfront for us in the FA cup he should at least be considered.
If you recall Sanogo started for us v Bayern in the CL (!). Neuer saved from him early and then Özil missed his pen. We should have won that game, even with Sanogo.
And, yes I think Akpom has what it takes and I'd like to see more of him with the first team this season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm a huge fan and I wouldn't mind seeing him get more games for us. He has the game needed for an Arsenal CF, pace, good build, good dribbler, good technique, good movement etc. I think he has the skill-set to be a top class centre forward.

However....

He's a lot more raw than Sturridge at the same age. I've seen the comparison, but Sturridge was much further ahead. He shone in the PL at 19 playing for Bolton. Akpom hasn't scored a professional goal yet, despite playing in League 1 and Championship respectively. Being thrust into the Arsenal first team set-up properly might push him (he did look good for us in his cameos) but that's a big gamble that may backfire for us and for him.

I think a loan to a team where he will flourish and find the composure he needs at the top level would be more beneficial than staying here. He has Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott all in front of him as CF options at this current point, so it makes no sense for him to not go on loan for regular game time to improve. Another season in the Championship would be better.

It would be great to see him play for us, no doubt. I do believe he has the ability to make it here and I've believed that for a couple of years now. But I have strong doubts about whether he's truly ready. But then, we played Sanogo lol.......

Akpom has a lot of pace and ability, but his best and most important attribute will be his hunger to succeed. He's going to need to hold onto that and channel it well. Sometimes, he's a bit too eager and snatches at his shots. If he calmed down and played his game naturally, he'll do well.

Danskin

Established Member
Anyone know why Afobe wasn't given a chance with the first team?
Perhaps because Wenger felt he wasn't good enough. I remember him playing against Boreham Wood in a pre-season friendly last season but that was about it. He then went out on loan to MK Dons and sold in January to Wolves, but I think we have a buy-back clause on his contract (can anyone confirm?).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We signed Sanogo.
That, and also the fact that Afobe suffered a few ACL injuries that stunted his development here. Had he not suffered those injuries, his career could have been quite different.

@Danskin it's been rumored that we have a buyback clause - Afobe himself favorited a tweet on twitter claiming such, so it's likely that we do have one just in case.

amirkat

Established Member
Perhaps because Wenger felt he wasn't good enough. I remember him playing against Boreham Wood in a pre-season friendly last season but that was about it. He then went out on loan to MK Dons and sold in January to Wolves, but I think we have a buy-back clause on his contract (can anyone confirm?).

Possibly sold him too soon, unless he pushed for it. His numbers look decent: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=57575

Danskin

Established Member
It's likely he pushed for it since he's 22 and he wasn't getting any playing time for the first team. I'm glad things have worked out for him because his development was severely hampered by injuries when he was younger. He always had the talent.

Godwin1

Very well-known
It's a discussion for the future, if we're serious about challenging for the league then he shouldn't be in contention. From what I've seen of him, which is very little and not enoough to judge, I'd say he looks like your typical player who's very fast for his age but will lack in a lot of areas. I generally defer to mutablearth and Danskin with these youngsters, someone who's seen him play regularly.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Will he be as good as Rooney or Owen? Clearly not and they are the only English strikers of the last 2 decades of the highest quality. Sturidge at City was clearly a huge talent, Akpom will probably have a premier league career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom