• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Can Chuba Akpom be the #9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Hopefully he comes back in 2016/2017 and becomes our Harry Kane. We need a top English striker coming through our ranks.

I have faith he will come good.

Emibury

I wonder if this loan means Wenger is determined (and perhaps close) to sign another striker. That would make some sense, given he said only two weeks ago that Akpom would not be loaned out.

Carlo Marx

Used to be the Voice of Reason, now raging
I wonder if this loan means Wenger is determined (and perhaps close) to sign another striker. That would make some sense, given he said only two weeks ago that Akpom would not be loaned out.

Nooo! Stop giving me straws to clutch at! :(

9jagooner

Honestly think this is do or die for Akpom. If he doesn't impress, he's gone next summer, simple. Hope he does the biz this time. Go on Hull.
I don't think it's 'do or die' for him. Unfortunately, our youth team at the moment does not have anyone either at or potentially at Akpom's level and unless one comes from nowhere over the next season or two, I think Arsène will still keep Akpom on the fringes of the first team.

In the past, we've had an array of forwards in the youth team making it difficult to keep those who were not able to get into the senior team. That's why we had to let go of players like JET (he also had other personal issues) and Afobe. As for Akpom, I'm sure we'll give him at least 2 to 3 more seasons. Unless ofcourse he becomes impatient (like Kris Olsson)

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I don't think it's 'do or die' for him. Unfortunately, our youth team at the moment does not have anyone either at or potentially at Akpom's level and unless one comes from nowhere over the next season or two, I think Arsène will still keep Akpom on the fringes of the first team.

In the past, we've had an array of forwards in the youth team making it difficult to keep those who were not able to get into the senior team. That's why we had to let go of players like JET (he also had other personal issues) and Afobe. As for Akpom, I'm sure we'll give him at least 2 to 3 more seasons. Unless ofcourse he becomes impatient (like Kris Olsson)
He's 19 already. 20 by the end of the season, he's hardly going to be interested to be on the fringes of the bench and being a regular for the reserves. He can start for some premier league clubs now, just not sure whether he can make it here.

9jagooner

He's 19 already. 20 by the end of the season, he's hardly going to be interested to be on the fringes of the bench and being a regular for the reserves. He can start for some premier league clubs now, just not sure whether he can make it here.
I'm not sure he can make it here too to considering our recent change in strategy as per incoming players. Few years ago, he may have had a shot but now, can't really tell.

As for the first part of your post, depends on him really. Depends on how much he rates himself. I for one think he'll be better off at a Championship side for now. Depending on what he does there over the next one season, perhaps get a shot at a premiership side for another season. If he drastically improves on his current level over that time, he may have a chance.

He's a striker, as long as he's showing continuous improvement, I still think being a fringe player at Arsenal at 23 isn't too bad.

fabo

6.51 / 10
He wouldn't start for any PL clubs, probably won't for Hull either. Don't think it means anything for our striker search - Akpom wasn't getting minutes anyway but his poor showings last weekend probably helped Wenger's decision.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
He wouldn't start for any PL clubs, probably won't for Hull either. Don't think it means anything for our striker search - Akpom wasn't getting minutes anyway but his poor showings last weekend probably helped Wenger's decision.
I doubt Wenger is a knee-jerker like most of the posters on here and made a 20 minute cameo change how he rates a 19 year old. Especially seeing he scored a hattrick only a few days before.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I doubt Wenger is a knee-jerker like most of the posters on here and made a 20 minute cameo change how he rates a 19 year old. Especially seeing he scored a hattrick only a few days before.

It's not knee-jerk. He's aware of Akpom's strengths and weaknesses. Besides fitness, the purpose of pre-season is to get a look at young/fringe players. Akpom displays could well have further convinced Wenger that he needs a loan.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Wenger probably had this planned all along but would only finalise it if he had a 3rd striker sewn up. We were about to go into the season with Giroud, Walcott & Akpom, no way would Wenger go with just Giroud & Walcott.

I think its Llorente!

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
I think that Wenger has back on his word regarding Akpom going out on loan because of how surprisingly developed Adelaide is, along with Iwobi. Adelaide may have jumped ahead of Akpom in the pecking order, so Wenger decided it would be best for Akpom to go out loan instead of staying here, behind even more players than to begin with.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
It's not knee-jerk. He's aware of Akpom's strengths and weaknesses. Besides fitness, the purpose of pre-season is to get a look at young/fringe players. Akpom displays could well have further convinced Wenger that he needs a loan.
But he had a good display against Singapore and looked decent against Lyon. My point is Wenger won't look at his 20 minutes against Wolfsburg and come to a decision on him based on that performance alone. If he were to asses him, he would use the whole pre-season, and Akpom's was a bright one.

If Arsène wanted to keep him, then that sub last Sunday wouldn't have changed his mind. He's been in the game for like 30 years, he would have seen countless youngsters put in much worst performances and still stuck to his guns.

Last edited:

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
It's pretty telling that after scoring a hattrick, he didn't start a single match at the Emirates. Despite his claims of wanting to stay and fight for his place, he is ultimately loaned out. It proves that Wenger wants to see more from him and don't feel he will benefit playing reserves footie here. It also prove that Wenger don't think he can challenge for first team football here yet.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
But he had a good display against Singapore and looked decent against Lyon. My point is Wenger won't look at his 20 minutes against Wolfsburg and come to a decision on him based on that performance alone. If he were to asses him, he would use the whole pre-season, and Akpom's was a bright one.

If Arsène wanted to keep him, then that sub last Sunday wouldn't have changed his mind. He's been in the game for like 30 years, he would have seen countless youngsters put in much worst performances and still stuck to his guns.

Sometimes it's the finer details that can decide things. Like Clrnc said, it's pretty telling that despite his hat-trick in Singapore he didn't start either game at the Emirates Cup against potential European opposition. Tbf I don't think he's ready myself, a loan is the perfect thing for him at the minute.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

The club messed his development up a bit really, which is a shame as I'm desperate for us to develop a quality striker :(

a_fourteen

Established Member
Adelaide is going to run those English lads out of town. Akpom, Welbeck, Ox should all be watching their back.

GOONER1991

Established Member
I honestly have seen nothing in Akpom to suggest he will make it here. Especially with the club at the level it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom