• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

"Captain" Thierry Henry

How would you evaluate Henry as Arsenal captain?

• Great captain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bad, Vieira is better.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Terrible captain. Give it to Kolo Toure!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phil

Captaincy is often over-rated in our sport. `In cricket it is important. `in football, far less so.

If giving the Captaincy to Thierry, Wenger was using it to sign him for 4 more years, then God Bless You. I have heard what Titi said on the plane back from Paris, and he is truly Captain. As soon as I heard that yesterday: I knew, for the first time, that he was staying.

He is the Greatest forward to ever play for Arsenal. He is certainly one of the best three players ever to wear the shirt.

Thanks, captain Thierry.

IBL

Established Member
echo pretty much what others have said already, thought he wasnt up to it to begin with but has really grown into the role over the past few months and I believe he can propel the team to even greater things next season.

I also feel that Gilberto makes for an excellent co-captain. With the armband he ups his game and really encourages the players around him. It's good to have the old Gilberto back :)

Phil

I can remember the same debate when PV4 stood up. Who would ever replace TA? PV4 was The Man. TH14 is good enough, and on Weds night, he showed he is man enough for us, The fans.

I personally think that Titi staying is probably the best signing for at least 5 yrs. He is a superb player, a true sportsman, and a stunning World personalty.

He is worth 20 points a season, and probably £20m a season in Global terms.

Is he good enough? Yo bet your sweet BiBi's!

kanooo

I didn't like how he captained the team in the beginning as well.

But now, it seems that he's been leading with example all the while. To me, it seems that he's been demanding the best out of the young lads and got some response as well.

Thanks for 4 more years, Thierry. Hope Arsenal can get the CL during these 4 years and many more major trophies with you around !

lee1001

Established Member
As the season has gone on he has improved as Captain in all the ways you associate with a great captain, but there is another facet to his importance as our captain.

Its not just inside the club that he has that respect and admiration. Talent aside for a moment he is probably footballs biggest playing ambassador. His reputation amongst his peers across Europe is unrivalled and he is a shining light in football and more importantly for Arsenal FC.

When opposing teams see him run out on the pitch leading the team with the Arsenal crest on his shirt and captains armband on his arm the psychological battle is half won.

Mark

Established Member
I think Henry grew into his role as captain as the season progressed. He will be better next season, especially now as we know he is comitted to the club. I think Kolo is a must for captain when Henry retires though.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
If you we're looking at choosing a new captain now then it's have to be either Kolo or Lauren (who I think would also make a wonderful captain).

However, if all goes well we're talking about 4 or maybe 6 years time. Looking at the players we have now I'd say that it'd be Cesc or Senderos.

IBL

Established Member
It's great that we've had other possible candidates emerge from this season. Kolo has stepped up his game to become our outstanding and commanding leader at the back, Cesc has shown a maturity and attitude beyondhis years, Senderos has illustrated great desire and commitment, Cole shows plenty of fight on the pitch so is also a possible candidate.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Before we established the connection between excrement and fans (of the spinning variety although you could just as easily take the Cole situation another way) I'd have backed Cole to be the next captain after PV4. IF he stays there are one hell of a lot of people who are going to need one hell of a lot of convincing that he's worthy of being Captain of Arsenal.

Biggus

Established Member
Tegh said:
Likewise EIN.
I've voted for #2, as PV obviously has been a better captain and I loved his spirit on the pitch. Hopefully Henry can go on to be bigger and better.

I disagree Tegh, I never liked Vieira as a captain, I never completely trusted him, His impatience at TA's retirement, His cliqueyness with other french players caused disturbance in the camp especially his last 2 seasons here. He was only made captain just to keep him here, I was glad when it was put to an end. Don't people remember this. I would have preferred Dennis as captain.

Thierry has only been Captain for 1 year and seeing him with his arm around young Manu to cool him down you can see him emerging into the role. And 4-5 years down the track if everything goes OK Cesc can step into his shoes. So alls well that ends well. :)

flaunt

I think Kolo would make a great vice captain. But Henry is our undisputed team leader, and his passion makes him a greater captain than Vieira.

ventin

my choice for captaincy is
1. Lauren - fight fight fight attitude
2. TH14 - inspirational, though sulky at times
3. Toure - commanding presence

after what he said on the plane, he truly can be a great captain. that is the stuff that we want to see in a captain, bringing the team out of the **** hole.

Canuck

Established Member
Biggus said:
I disagree Tegh, I never liked Vieira as a captain, I never completely trusted him, His impatience at TA's retirement, His cliqueyness with other french players caused disturbance in the camp especially his last 2 seasons here. He was only made captain just to keep him here, I was glad when it was put to an end. Don't people remember this. I would have preferred Dennis as captain.
Well he's got his Karmic retribution now.

Biggus

Established Member
To be Arsenals captain is a great honour and you are following in some very illustrious footsteps, Arsenal display great thrust in their managers & captains and both usually have very long reigns. Vieira betrayed that thrust and thought he was bigger than the club.....He wasn't the only one, but it was one time too many. Thierry Henry has now proved by his loyalty that he is the true inheritor of Tony Adams "Mr Arsenal" mantle.

hollow

My signiture last season was Titi for Captain (it still is but they've been turned off). I always thought he'd make an excellent skipper because he loves the team. Adams did, Vieira didn't.

Adams once said he found it strange how much emphasis is put on being vocal when discussing leadership, as all the shouting is really just for show. I think Henry is a captain in the true sense of the word.

mood

I've noticed that Gilberto has worn the armband whenever Henry/Bergkamp isnt on the pitch.

He's done quite well with it too.

Biggus

Established Member
hollow said:
Adams once said he found it strange how much emphasis is put on being vocal when discussing leadership, as all the shouting is really just for show. I think Henry is a captain in the true sense of the word.

Shouting is not all show. Verbal communication is very important especially between Goalkeeper and defence. It is less important as you move up the pitch, where mental understanding takes over.
Which brings me to the point that many people make.........Because of their speciality and isolation Goalkeepers and strikers should not be captains, central defenders and midfielders are better. I think in Arsenals situation at the moment with a young team growing up together and Wenger displaying a preference for intelligent players I don't have a problem with it in this instance.

wer

Great Captain win 'big' matches. Henry did it a few times this season so I would classify him as one.

Top Bottom