Carabao Cup I Chelsea v Arsenal 1st leg I 10/1/18 I 8pm GMT | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by THunter, Jan 7, 2018.

?

Which Mitchell are you?

1. Phil Mitchell

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Billy Mitchell

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Grant Mitchell

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

He was a solid lump of uninspiring sh!t. That's because he sh!t.

2. redanddread

redanddread Always negative

Sorry mate. Can't be happy at getting knocked out of the FA Cup. We've spent more money on this squad than when we were competing in the CL and you're telling me that we can't cope with the EL, FA Cup & the league. We've played our reserves this season in pretty much every game bar the EPL.

3. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

I'm not happy, I'm being realistic. We've spent a lot of money but still suffer with injuries for whatever reason. It's better for the squad that we're not in the FA Cup because it probably increases our chances in the other competitions. As for playing our reserves, a lot of those guys are now having to start games quite regularly due to injuries and this has been happening since the start of the December. I'd have loved to win the FA Cup again but for me, the bigger picture is getting back into CL is more important for the club whether that's winning the EL or top 4 (hopefully both along with Carabao cup).

4. SomGooner

SomGooner Prolific Liker

BTW Alonso belongs in a prison rather than a football pitch. Scumbag excuse of a human playing for a scum football club.

krackpot likes this.
  5. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Hoping Emery cloud has a silver lining

Love the nuances and subtleties in your footballing arguments.

6. Preacher

Preacher Twitter Bot

Correction 1 in 7:drool:

American_Gooner and Makingtrax like this.
  7. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians

It's certainly more accurate. Harry Kane cost Spurs nothing but is arguably a 100m player in the current market.

Makingtrax likes this.
  8. BaZZe

BaZZe Wants his own title !

Morons on twitter complaining about VAR is starting to piss me off. Parroting Blatter with the "Human error is part of the game" horsesh*t. F*ck that! Getting the correct decision is far more important than the flow of the game. The refs will probably learn to use it efficiently and even less disrupting as they get ised to it also.

Giroud12, Makingtrax and redanddread like this.
  9. Makingtrax

I wonder what algorithms CIES use? Be interesting to compare their valuations with the crowd sourced valuations in Transfermarkt. :lol:

bingobob likes this.
  10. redanddread

Look, I hear you but the reality is that if a club the size & wealth of Arsenal couldn't cope with the demands of the EL, the FA Cup and TRYING to get into the top 4, something's very wrong. Just very wrong...

11. Makingtrax

Isn't that what a club the size of United did last year. Finishing 6th. Spending huge sums.

12. bingobob

I missed the game so can't comment on tonights use of it. But every time I've seen it used it's been terrible.

IslingtonBornandbred likes this.
  13. redanddread

UTD. simply weren't good enough but in reality they should have been able to cope. They identified a clear path to the CL that would be easier than through the top 4. Unfortunately, we're in the same boat & simply not good enough either but I feel we should be able to cope with those demands.

Furthermore, injuries aside we have enough players to put out a decent FA Cup side - I mean we did that with the EL group stage & the early CC rounds. What's different?

14. bingobob

Am I reading it correctly that Wilshere went off with an ankle injury?

15. rich 1990

rich 1990 Not Actually a Moaner

Yes, he's not coming back.

16. Makingtrax

There's a whole bunch of injuries now and things going on behind the scenes with transfers. Wenger would have fielded his usual second string EL side with Giroud, Coq, Jack etc that beat BATE 6-0 but that was far from possible.

17. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

It's obvious now that he doesn't have the physicality or skill to lead the line in the Premier League with the current system we are using. He's unable to use his body to shield the ball like an Aguero and doesn't have the blistering pace of someone like Vardy to run into space. He's basically Wiltord, and he should very much take that as a compliment.

Like Wiltord, he was prolific in France where defenders stood off him and he was afforded more space and time to get his shot off. He was also flanked by more natural wide players in Valbuena and Ghezzal or Cornet than he has here.

Lacazette, ironically like Giroud, would excel with a striker partner who can occupy at least one of the defenders around him because he struggles to create space for himself. Either that, or deploying more orthodox wide men (surprised we have not been linked with Moura), who stay wide and engage the opposition backline through direct play.

What I fear is that by the time Wenger figures that out, we'll be too far away. Despite all of this though, I think Lacazette can and should be doing more. Appreciate he was ill today, but I'd like to see him press with more intent, and be stronger on the ball.

18. carlito'sway

carlito'sway Well-Known Member

I do feel be plays better and has a better chemistry with Jack than Ramsey. Jack is more positionally disciplined than Rambo.

Makingtrax likes this.
  19. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

He's ridiculously mobile he's gone from pressing at one end of the pitch to making a tackle at the edge of our box .

20. rich 1990

rich 1990 Not Actually a Moaner

Problem is, it's usually him that's caused him to have to run back. Defensively, he's Ok, he does put out dangerous situations. Offensively he's hopeless.

celestis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.