• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Carabao Cup Quarter-Final: Arsenal v Man City | Tuesday, December 22 | KO: 20:00 GMT | Sky Sports

Who goes through to the Semi-Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Missed the game but no Saliba? No Nelson? Did Balogun get any minutes at all?

Arteta you're breaking my heart.

Hunny68

Good evening all I’m a lifelong fan of Arsenal I’ve never done anything like this before I’ve only just joined tonight I’m 52 years of age I’m not very good with social media never done it before but getting a little bit frustrated now and worried my question is do you think we should go back to grassroots i.e. marking man for man just get our basics right and build from there Because it seems to me in this modern day football we seem to overlook the basics I hope you’re all well nice to talk to you have a fantastic Christmas Hunny 68

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I wouldn't go man to man.

I would however drill some basics in like pass and move, move the ball forward, always pressure the ball in your half and press with intensity and as a unit.... We seem to be lacking every single one of these

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I would say to all those who are panicking after each and every match, take a deep, and sing along with me...

“You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done”

Love that last line.
Iirc, the singer was on a train bound for nowhere-like us atm! The best lines are about knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep. Somebody point dozy Mikel in the right direction and get him to bin (insert player's name)

Hunny68

I wouldn't go man to man.

I would however drill some basics in like pass and move, move the ball forward, always pressure the ball in your half and press with intensity and as a unit.... We seem to be lacking every single one of these
Thank you for your reply I totally agree with what you’re saying but when we haven’t got the ball especially when we are defending we seem to be letting a lot of goals in due to no man marking look at tonight‘s first goal for example I’m really not a fan of the zonal marking. Five Arsenal defenders one Man City player one nil down there all looking at one another thinking who is marking marking him

Hunny68

Thank you for your reply we need to do a lot more when we haven’t got the ball and when we haven’t got the ball you need to mark your man and take responsibility by doing these basics we will concede a lot less.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Good Ebening. We lack shape, drive and purpose. It's difficult to judge it tonight as it was a mish-mash of players, but even our strongest team looks like 11 strangers playing together. We don't work cohesively in area of the pitch and have no patterns of play.

The closest we have to a partnership is Tierney and Saka when they both play.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I would go man for man. That way your aim is to win individual battles. And it means everytime someone scores a header theres someone accountable.

It is impossible to avoid conceding from corners sometimes. Some players movement will just be better and they will get that yard of space.

What I'm not a fan of is our tallest men free loitering around the 6 yard box and people like Pepe, Nelson, Nketiah, Laca having to often pick up central defenders who are 10-12cm taller and often stronger.

Pepe was tasked with marking Mina on Saturday. Whoever decided that was the plan is stupid. You wouldnt see that in Sunday league. I remember I think it was Nelson or Saka having to mark Olymiakos defender or some defender in EL last season and the difference in height and stature was huge. He scored from what I remember too.

Obviously theres some stat that suggests zonal marking is good but I like accountability and winning 50/50 battles. And someone to blame for mistakes not everyone looking at each other and shirking responsibilities.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Worst season since I have been a fan...a rookie manager making loads of mistakes, in a job that is way too big and demanding for him, with a (mostly justifiably) angry fanbase...plus a load of players that just aren't good enough, some of them even make the others worse just by being on the pitch!

Polar Bear

I would go man for man. That way your aim is to win individual battles. And it means everytime someone scores a header theres someone accountable.

It is impossible to avoid conceding from corners sometimes. Some players movement will just be better and they will get that yard of space.

What I'm not a fan of is our tallest men free loitering around the 6 yard box and people like Pepe, Nelson, Nketiah, Laca having to often pick up central defenders who are 10-12cm taller and often stronger.

Pepe was tasked with marking Mina on Saturday. Whoever decided that was the plan is stupid. You wouldnt see that in Sunday league. I remember I think it was Nelson or Saka having to mark Olymiakos defender or some defender in EL last season and the difference in height and stature was huge. He scored from what I remember too.

Obviously theres some stat that suggests zonal marking is good but I like accountability and winning 50/50 battles. And someone to blame for mistakes not everyone looking at each other and shirking responsibilities.
There has been a few matches this season when the opponents have had a corner and I have seen Pepe on their biggest guy, WTF , makes no sense at all...

Firstly Pepe is really **** at headers, he is not a good header of the ball at all.

Secondly he is only 5'11'' and very skinny, he is a light lad, barely 68KG. I've seen him on Tomas Soucek 6'4'' and 87KG, and Mina 6'5'' and 96KG, and a few other players too.

Get him off defending corners, he is rubbish at headers and is so lightweight, he ain't got nothing about him, looks half asleep all the time.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

My concern was early on in the season that it’s difficult to switch formations and tactical styles mid-season.

A lot of pros have talked about how vital that pre-season is to implement new ideas and adapt to a system. My fear is that even we have the dream scenario and add an Aouar type player in January we’re going to struggle to change our passing patterns.

You wonder if this is just the way it’s always going to be tactically under Arteta. Klopp is the example of trying to play a certain way without his players so when they did sign people they could slot in.

I just can’t see us signing someone and changing the way we play overnight. It’s not realistic.

Melquiades

That was ugly. Some bad luck, but also some terrible selections and terrible performances to create that bad luck. Didn't think City was even really that good ... barely broke a sweat in this one.

- Runnarsson is just awful. Looks like he should be playing for Grimsby Town. Was atrocious against Dundalk in the last EL game and I said at that point there was no way he should play again the rest of the season ... and this is what happens when they do. Totally predictable. Feel bad for the guy because it isn't his fault a big team gave him this opportunity, but feel even worse for Matt Macey who has spent 8 years working for an opportunity and couldn't possibly be this bad but has this bum parachuted in in front of him. Team absolutely has to sign a keeper in the upcoming window.

- as noted earlier in the thread, it's absurd to be preaching patience and 'long term' to supporters and then throw out guys like Mustafi and Kolasinac in a game like this. And both were horrible, worse than any young player could have been. Hopefully that will be Mustafi's last game in an Arsenal shirt.

- Martinelli was a livewire and the only guy making anything happen until his injury. Hopefully it's just a bruise/flesh wound because it would be a disaster to have him out again for an extended period.

- ESR came in for the last 25 minutes and was instantly the best Arsenal player on the pitch. Quality runs, quality passes, quality touches.

- Balogun again looked right at home in his 10 minutes.

- I really try to support AMN but there is no fire and compete in this player at all. Body language and effort are terrible. Still probably more effective than some of the flat-out bad players in the squad but he's been given an opportunity in the last few games and really hasn't risen to the occasion.

- Ceballos can just go away. The lack of pace and poor passes are bad enough, but the constant diving and rolling around on the ground is just embarrassing.

- Elneny is basically a less annoying Xhaka.

- I don't hate Soares. Serviceable squad player who minds his business out there pretty effectively.

Just an incredibly frustrating time because you have a group of young players (Martinelli, ESR, Saka, Balogun) up front who have form and pace and look like they could really rescue the season if they were given an extended run together, but instead we're forced to continue watching the old, slow, expensive dead wood get trotted out to lose over and over again.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Till this day most of those you’ve mentioned got more appearances in the league under Emery than Arteta tbh.

Except Nketiah.
It did help that Emery was at the club longer and had a full pre season.

Its darkest just before the dawn. 12 months from now is when we should be asking the hard questions of Arteta.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Thank you for your reply I totally agree with what you’re saying but when we haven’t got the ball especially when we are defending we seem to be letting a lot of goals in due to no man marking look at tonight‘s first goal for example I’m really not a fan of the zonal marking. Five Arsenal defenders one Man City player one nil down there all looking at one another thinking who is marking marking him

I've never been a fan of zonal marking; zonal marking never works against pin point crossing/passing, if the ball gets stuck on the oppositions head/foot you got no one man tight who can defend it.

Zonal works against current Arsenal because the crossing just gets sent into the box as a threat and not a target but when you got top crosses/passes delivering balls in you dont go zonal because they have the ability to stick it on the players head, like last night, over and inbetween your defensive 'zones'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom