• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Carlo Cudicini

asajoseph

Established Member
If it does I will change my name to Pascal Cygan II.

It's not likely, but if he agitates for a move, there's an outside chance. But if it does happen, I'm going to hold you to that.

agnishevchenko

i think i would like him to play for us..
but cant see that happening!! seriously, if i am Roman, i rather pay his wages and make him sit on the bench than sell him to my arch-rival who is also a title contender!!

Split

pha2er said:
Well Milan just loaned Abbiati to Juve for the season, and people thought that was impossible. Footballs a funny old game.

and the tottenham captain came to arsenal!

If I was Carlo, i'd come to arsenal to play first team football (he'd get the nod over Jens)

If I was Chelsea I wouldn't sell him to Arsenal.

So the only chance is to get him when his contract is over (no doubt it's not soon!) so will probably never happen.

Army of Me

Established Member
Split said:
pha2er said:
Well Milan just loaned Abbiati to Juve for the season, and people thought that was impossible. Footballs a funny old game.

exactly, at the end of the day it'll all come down to the player, and if he wants to move club for a better chance of first team action then i'm sure he'd rather move to one not only challenging for major honours, but in the same city so he doesn't have to move house.

A

Anonymous

who thort denilson would go to a unkowen small turkish club , anythings possible , no-one thort beckham would go either

asajoseph

Established Member
Actually, I thought it was pretty obvious to the whole footballing world that Denilson was a busted flush.

And I don't know about you, but EVERYBODY thought Beckham would leave Utd.

Lord Dula

Established Member
pha2er said:

Part o'that was a gesture on Milan's part after Kaka had killed Buffon.

Split

Tegh said:
pha2er said:
Tegh said:
Sol left on a free transfer...

he sure did, Captain Obvious!

That dude at the top of the page said:

How does that even compare to Cudicini being sold to us?

Which, isn't going to happen.

pha2er said:

Abbiati went to Juve from Milan (rival clubs), people thought that was impossible, Football is a funny old game.

Sol came to Arsenal from Sp*rs (rival clubs!), people thought that was impossible, that certainly made football a funny old game!

AFCFan4Ever

Cudicini is on WSD right now if anyone is listening...sounds like he isn't going anywhere based on his comments lol. :?

famous no 10

Established Member
i think Cudicini is quite prepared to sit on the bench and count his money...he's footballing ambition vanished when Cech signed.

I'm not sure he's all that much better than Jens anyway, if at all, and I doubt he'd leave chelskis bench to sit on ours for less money.

sray2

Cudicini was the best goalkeeper 2 seasons ago (along with Friedel), and if he has anywhere near the same ability he had then, I would love for us to buy him. He made that one **** up against Henry, but he would be the perfect challenger to Lehmann. The sad thing is, it actually seems like he's happy on the bench collecting a fat paycheck based on his recent comments. He signed a new contract at the beginning of the summer, so this rumour seems very unlikely to materialise.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think it's a pretty poor reflection on the guy if he's prepared to warm the bench for money, when he could walk into most top club's lineups. Indeed, the fact that he's not agitating for a move probably is enough to tell us that we don't want him. That said, I still believe that if he wanted to come here, and could reproduce the form he had before he was dropped two years ago, he'd be an improvement on Lehmann, and a good mid-term option for another 4-5 seasons.

Tegh

Established Member
Split said:
Tegh said:
pha2er said:
Tegh said:
Sol left on a free transfer...

he sure did, Captain Obvious!

That dude at the top of the page said:

How does that even compare to Cudicini being sold to us?

Which, isn't going to happen.

pha2er said:

Abbiati went to Juve from Milan (rival clubs), people thought that was impossible, Football is a funny old game.

Sol came to Arsenal from Sp*rs (rival clubs!), people thought that was impossible, that certainly made football a funny old game!

He wasn't sold, and why shouldn't he join Arsenal, i don't think it's funny he wanted to join a rival club, they play up to it for the fans. There was a chance for medals, and European football. I know where i'd rather be.

Adidas - Impossible is nothing.

fuma75

how about make other club sign him and loan to us...
we can loan some youngsters to them instead.

oh well...

visitor99

asajoseph said:
Cudicini, in my oppinion, is a better shot stopper, and generally a little less error prone than Jens.

I'd go along with that, but also add that Cudicini is not great at commanding his area, or coming for crosses. He isn't bad, but Lehmann and many others in the EPL are far better than him in that respect.

Perhaps his occasional preference for staying back and trying to block a possible shot rather than trying to prevent a shot by coming to meet the ball might have something to do with the perceved error rates.

Take Arsenal V Southampton last season for example. Lehmann comes for a corner aimed at crouch and doesn't get there. Crouch scores and Lehmann is widely criticised for his blunder. But if Cudicini in the same situation stays on his line and Crouch still scores he isn't anywhere near as likely to be slammed. (and Lehmann was unlucky in not getting to the ball before Crouch. As he was about to jump he stood on someone's foot and didn't manage any leap at all)

asajoseph

Established Member
Visitor, you make an excellent point, and one that I do go along with to some extent. Cudicini is more of a 'stay at home' keeper, and that does indeed affect the number of 'save opportunities' he gets.

My personal belief, is that Arsène values keepers who are willing to come off their line and catch crosses and long balls into the box - indeed, perhaps this explains why he rated Almunia. Manuel is a keeper more than happy to come off his line and claim a cross, even if his ability to do so under pressure (unlike Jens) is fairly awful, but he also has excellent reflexes, which would in theory have made him an excellent keeper. On the other hand, perhaps it explains why he's so dire - Manuel is instinctively more of a 'stay at home' guy, and it's in encouraging him to charge out for crosses that Arsène has caused him to be so error prone. Who knows.... This would also explain why height is so important to Arsène in his goalkeeping choices - shot-stopping too must be important, but if the priority is to get a keeper who can control a box, it's easy to see why Wenger has never looked at keepers like Kameni.

One might argue however, that having a keeper who rushes off his line gives the defence one more thing to think about in situations where split second decisions are vital. It can cause that little bit more confusion in the defence, meaning that some players can be a little put off, or caught out of position from time to time. But really, that's a matter of tactical preference I guess - 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom