• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Charlie Patino: No Swan Song Afterall

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Just a question for AM experts, how come he can't get a sniff of the first team football when he is supposedly as talented as Wilshere was and nobodies like Elneny play ahead of him? Wilshere and Fabregas weren't physically impressive either at that age so I can't look at that as an excuse
Not sure Patino is as big talent as Wilshere and Fabregas.

But we need results, and midfield is tough in EPL. Elneny gives consistent performances unlike developing Patino, who has had very frail frame. Patino likely plays cup games this season.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just a question for AM experts, how come he can't get a sniff of the first team football when he is supposedly as talented as Wilshere was and nobodies like Elneny play ahead of him? Wilshere and Fabregas weren't physically impressive either at that age so I can't look at that as an excuse
Patino is 6ft and weighs about 100 pounds. Jack was still stocky for his height.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Not sure Patino is as big talent as Wilshere and Fabregas.

But we need results, and midfield is tough in EPL. Elneny gives consistent performances unlike developing Patino, who has had very frail frame. Patino likely plays cup games this season.
Players like Xhaka and Elneny will always make sure that we end up in the EL at best and we never see the CL. That's why I'm always open to risks, we did it with Saka and I don't mind doing it again as long as the first team players aren't good enough

drippin

Players like Xhaka and Elneny will always make sure that we end up in the EL at best and we never see the CL. That's why I'm always open to risks, we did it with Saka and I don't mind doing it again as long as the first team players aren't good enough
It just doesn't make sense to risk the season starting a youngster who isn't ready, which can ruin his confidence.

I don't like Elneny much starting at Arsenal, but I still know he is much more trustworthy than a newbie youngster who isn't a generational talent like some of the best have been, although a great talent still.

You can also listen to experts like @MutableEarth who I'm pretty sure has said that Patino isn't just ready yet to take a big role. Cup games next season I believe like I said. He looks bigger now too.

Or you can believe that a youngster will be the next Fabregas even if there are no signs for such a dream scenario no matter his talent.

But I believe Arteta gives more minutes to Patino this season over Elneny. He did for Nketiah over Laca too. And Elneny has a year in contract also. But Patino must earn it in easier games first.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You can also listen to experts like @MutableEarth who I'm pretty sure has said that Patino isn't just ready yet to take a big role. Cup games next season I believe like I said. He looks bigger now too.
Most people were saying the same for Saka, had exactly the same discussion as we are now having with Patino. There is no expert in the world (not even @MutableEarth ) who could tell you when they are ready or if they ever will be. Some players failed who were destined for huge success and some unexpectedly succeeded, no matter the age. They need to start kicking the ball for the first team and things will be clear then, and for me, the best time for that is when our first team players are simply not good enough, which is definitely the case atm

drippin

Most people were saying the same for Saka, had exactly the same discussion as we are now having with Patino. There is no expert in the world (not even @MutableEarth ) who could tell you when they are ready or if they ever will be. Some players failed who were destined for huge success and some unexpectedly succeeded, no matter the age. They need to start kicking the ball for the first team and things will be clear then, and for me, the best time for that is when our first team players are simply not good enough, which is definitely the case atm
I get what you're saying, but DMF role is one of the most difficult roles in football. Even more experienced Sambi had problems there in his first EPL season, which was expected.

Fabregas, or even Saka play/played in more attacking roles (even at LB Saka was more attacking in our tactics). Mistakes are much more easy for a young player to make higher up the pitch, than at DMF where if it leads to goal, can be crushing for confidence.

It has been pretty clear to me that Patino needs to bulk up for the midfield role in EPL, and that he has now done in the past year. So I assume he will get his chances in cups now. Only after that we can talk about him starting in EPL.

I assume last year the management saw that Patino is not yet ready for mens games no matter his technique. And now I think they see it differently because he has developed.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Seems like they need to prioritise one of Lokonga or Patiño's development at 6, to me, one of them should go out on loan, unless the plan is to sit Elneny in Europa League and only use him should there be an injury crisis where we can't play Xhaka-Vieira nor Thomas-Vieira nor Thomas-Xhaka in PL...

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I think there was a plan to give him minutes. Unfortunately, he was injured or recovering from injury at the crucial moments of opportunity.

There were two Charlie Patino's last season. The first, was producing perhaps the most dominant displays I've ever seen at u23 level. A midfield marshal who had complete control over the midfield. Dominant Patino lasted until he was out from ankle injury between Oct - Nov 2021. After November, it was really frustrating to watch him play. He was constantly losing the ball in midfield, he couldn't dribble forward, couldn't turn under pressure... he didn't look himself.

On January 10th, he started against Nottingham in the FA Cup and played terribly, we were knocked out. I'd wager that if Patino wasn't recovering from injury at the time, he'd have staked a decisive place in our midfield rotation last season. He got another injury between late January and March that's strangely unreported by transfermarkt and at large. I'm unsure if it was a new injury or a continuation of his ankle issue.

After another two months, he returned to playing u23 football on 7th march. He still struggled with fitness in matches. He did appear to improve a little in his final 2/3 matches.

To assess Patino's value last season for our u23s, look at how the team performed with him vs without. (Scroll down to PL2 stats)
Pre his first ankle injury, the team won 6/9 and drew another. After his first injury, the u23 team won 4 of 17. If he hadn't been injured I'm sure we'd have seen a lot more of him. I just hope he's fit now.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure how good he is compared to Cesc or Jack but he won't get many first team minutes unless we start to win comfortably and dominate. Arteta said that Laca played so long because he was scared to play Nketiah and it's the same with Patino. Arteta would rather plod with what we have instead of taking a chance to be better.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'm not sure how good he is compared to Cesc or Jack but he won't get many first team minutes unless we start to win comfortably and dominate. Arteta said that Laca played so long because he was scared to play Nketiah and it's the same with Patino. Arteta would rather plod with what we have instead of taking a chance to be better.
Yeah for youngsters it comes down to manager. Arteta is a conservative manager who don’t like to take gamble on youth. I think last season was more of him realising youth gives him time and it was to save his job rather than being a progressive manager

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
For taking pride in our youth project we certainly seem a bit afraid to use our academy prospects, we prefer to throw a lot of money on a young player with a bit of experience because Jorge Mendes says so.

Hopefully we can introduce another one like this guy who seems to be very highly rated and plays in a position there are opportunities to improve on

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

The Patino hype went too far. No way was he better than 16 year old Wilshere or even 15 year old Reiss Nelson in the academy. I like him as a prospect, but he has some of the same issues Xhaka does. Both lefties, barely use their weaker foot, both slow and not very good defensively on or off the ball. Although Xhaka is better defensively and I would say Patino is more agile, better in tight spaces and better dribbler.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Patino is 6ft and weighs about 100 pounds. Jack was still stocky for his height.
Patino has put on some size recently. He even looked a bit taller. Think he is one of those kids that is a late bloomer physically. Prob won't fully grow into his body till his mid 20s. With the right mentorship, think he can become a brilliant CM in his prime. He has a very high football intelligence and awareness.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Patino has put on some size recently. He even looked a bit taller. Think he is one of those kids that is a late bloomer physically. Prob won't fully grow into his body till his mid 20s. With the right mentorship, think he can become a brilliant CM in his prime. He has a very high football intelligence and awareness.

Yep, the club know it as well:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The thing is with Patino he's better off getting a loan next season and playing week in week out rather than staying and getting the odd League Cup / Europa League group stage match here and there.

At this stage of his development he could do with getting consistent first team football in his legs, week in week out. Got to think long term here.

Championship would be fine. Gets him adapted to the physical side of the game too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It just doesn't make sense to risk the season starting a youngster who isn't ready, which can ruin his confidence.

I don't like Elneny much starting at Arsenal, but I still know he is much more trustworthy than a newbie youngster who isn't a generational talent like some of the best have been, although a great talent still.

Or you can believe that a youngster will be the next Fabregas even if there are no signs for such a dream scenario no matter his talent.

But I believe Arteta gives more minutes to Patino this season over Elneny. He did for Nketiah over Laca too. And Elneny has a year in contract also. But Patino must earn it in easier games first.
Won't know if he's ready until he plays. Arteta has shown reluctance to blood youngsters too soon. Most of the ones who play often are players who had already established themselves to some degree before he became manager.

I have my opinion (think he's not quite ready yet) but I won't know until Arteta actually gives him a little run, which I'm doubtful he will get for a while yet. I await to see how it will play out for him.

The Patino hype went too far. No way was he better than 16 year old Wilshere or even 15 year old Reiss Nelson in the academy. I like him as a prospect, but he has some of the same issues Xhaka does. Both lefties, barely use their weaker foot, both slow and not very good defensively on or off the ball. Although Xhaka is better defensively and I would say Patino is more agile, better in tight spaces and better dribbler.
It was a little strong, I agree - the Wilshere comparisons, while understandable, were a little much IMO. I wouldn't say his issues are too similar to Xhaka's though, I think he's a stronger player defensively than given credit. His wiry frame gives off that vibe but he's a pretty tenacious player.

It's not an accident the Arsenal Academy page is named "MutableEarthsPage". He likely follows the youth here the most. Hope this helps.

There are some other posters too who follow it closely of course.

"https://arsenal-mania.com/for-um/forums/MutableEarthsPage/"

:lol: Pay no attention to this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom