• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

'Chelsea Are No Better Than Arsenal Really' - Andy Gray

alibey

Heres a quote from Andy Gray on his thoughts on the match.

'Chelsea Are No Better Than Arsenal Really'
Monday August 08 2005

There are some people who are suggesting that Chelsea have all-but wrapped up the title before a ball has even been kicked. But that's foolish talk and anyone who believes that obviously knows little about football and how hard it is to win back-to-back titles.

Arsenal may have lost to Chelsea on Sunday but Arsène Wenger, and anyone else who watched that game, will have walked away thinking there's absolutely nothing to choose between the two sides. Chelsea were not better than Arsenal on the day - the scoreline flattered them and was simply the result of two good pieces of finishing.

I was quite impressed with both teams - I thought the fitness levels and technical ability showed that both are very much ready for the new Premiership season. Wenger might not be too happy with the result, but both managers will have been very happy with the running, the passing and the sharpness of their players.

We saw exactly what we would have expected from both teams - Arsemal were studious, deliberate and the ball rarely left the ground. For them it's all about possession and movement. I was impressed with Alexander Hleb when he came on, just as I was when I first saw him two years ago playing for Stuttgart. He looks equally comfortable on either flank.

It was impossible to tell from that game whether the Gunners will miss Patrick Vieira too much - there's no doubt that the first-choice pairing will be Gilberto and Cesc Fabregas, and I think we saw as soon as the Brazilian came on that his presence has a steadying influence on the team.

So we learned little that we didn't already know about Arsenal, and the same applies to Chelsea. Criticism of their tactics has been a little unfair - they don't just play long-ball football, they like to mix it up a little bit. They have variation, a Plan B that sometimes the Gunners are lacking.

Talking of what the Gunners are lacking, I am as massively surprised as everyone in the game that they're not showing any interest in Michael Owen. In fact, I find it extraordinary that clubs are not queueing up to sign him. He would practically guarantee 20 goals a season and I would have thought that the way Arsenal play - with speed and without too many high balls - would suit him down to the ground.

But obviously Arsène thinks that in Robin van Persie, Jose Reyes and Dennis Bergkamp he has enough options, and who are we to argue?

Chelsea might have won the league comfortably last season, but winning back-to-back titles is something else. Look at the quality teams Wenger has put together without achieving that feat. There will be no surprise element and no waiting for blips this time around.

Teams must improve again to win again and Arsenal and Man United will both think they can push them all the way, especially if Chelsea have problems with injuries or suspensions. Imagine a Blues team without Frank Lampard, Claud Makelele or John Terry for a long period of time. That wouldn't be a team that's unbeatable.

Henry IV

From the way the media are talking about Chelsea and the way Chelsea are talking about themsleves, Arsenal shouldn't waste their time turning up this season.

_scorpion_

Established Member
It isnt anything we didnt know already.

Our top 11 can match any team but its the squad that makes the difference when the matches come flying....keeping a quality 11 through injuries and suspensions is teh key and that is where Chelsea obviously have it over us.

I dont think the 2 matches against Chelsea will matter more than our games against all the other sides. Possibly bragging rights, but at teh end of the day it is about consistency.

air

Chelsea ARE no better than Arsenal, or Chelsea WERE no better than Arsenal?

Right now they are the champions. If we were champions and someone came in saying they're equally good we would be replying with something different. I'm just saying. I hate them, but they're last season's champions.

I didn't see the game so I can't comment on that. Good points on Owen but I still think he's overrated and not good enough technically. He doesn't create the way everyone at Arsenal does.

Army of Me

Established Member
i totally agree, there's not many players who are pretty much guranteed to score that amount going for around 10mil either, and he's still only 25, I honestly can't believe Newcastle are the only seriously interested party.

KingReyes

Established Member
there is no doubt in my mind that when both Chelsea and Arsenal are both at full strength 11 vs 11 we can beat them and any team in the premiership. The problem though is our lack of sqaud depth especially from an experience point of view. If we make a couple of signings in the right places (keeper and midfielder as priortiy it would give us that added strenght that we need to challenge on all fronts especially a 38 games league season.

Feanor

Established Member
What the hell is going on? Doesn't Andy Gray hate us? That's the only realistic article I've seen this off-season. Everyone else thinks Chelsea will the title without breaking a sweat and their only competition will be Manure and Pool, not us. People are actually saying we won't qualify for CL next season...of course they're FSC channel correspondants but still.

Legend#1

Established Member
Andy Gray doesn't hate.. he doesn't love us either like Martin Tyler.. he's usually inpartial.. but he does love Henry.

A

Anonymous

Great article by andy gray and i believe he is right about everything! and i am optimistic that we'll win the title!

Top Bottom