• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chelsea's points tally

awooga83

Established Member
Just heard on sky sports that chelsea have the highest points tally of any team in premiership history at this stage of the season. Thought it was interesting as while chelsea didn't win the league last year because of our exceptional run perhaps the same may be true this year with us it may just be that chelsea are in a league of their own this season similar to the way we were last season.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
teams that excel in the second half of the season are the ones that win the league.. it remains to be seen if chelsea can do it... in the past 3 seasons, we have tallied 38 points, 32 points and 46 points during the last 16 matches (out of 48 possible points).... we won last season and 3 seasons ago, only losing in 02-03 (when we got only 32 points)... can chelsea gain more than 35 points? looks likely at this point, but one never knows... 2 or 3 injuries to key players (Terry, Robben, Lampard, etc) and they might not be as deep as everyone thinks

JazzG

Established Member
They have an incredible number of points right now and even if we were at the same stage of last season we would still trail by 3 points. Some of our fans are blind to that and just don't realise we aren't doing badly after 22 games.

Chelsea's true test will come when they have CL matches, FA cup matches and PL matches to deal with, the players are becoming tired and games are coming thick and fast, what if Barca give them a good hiding what will happen to their confidence? There is nowhere to run or hide then, then we will see if this Chelsea team are worthy. So far they have dropped points against us, Sp**s, Villa, Bolton and Man city. Whats to say they won't drop anymore against those sides? They have to go to Old Trafford and that match man utd will give it their all because pride is at stake, they play the Spuds at WHL and the Spuds are on quite some run right now, they still go to St James park and Newcastle always finish the season strong, games at Bolton are always hard and Chelsea let slip a 2 goal lead against them. And we still go to Stamford Bridge and I think we will beat them, we did em last season and this season their full team couldn't do jack **** in open play against us and only our inept set piece defending gifted them goals, Henry should of scored as well so I think we will beat them. What happens if Robben gets injured, before he came in they were scraping wins and that guy has very dodgy hamstrings. Same for Duff who has a dodgy shoulder. Anything can and probably will happen.

I really can't understand why people think it is already over because there is still so much football to come. Everyone is writing us off and like Allyboy said our greatest moments have come when written off. Remember Inter at home and Old Trafford last season everyone said it was the beginning of the end, then we tonked them in Milan and went unbeaten. In 01/02 after the Toon game everyone said we were about to fall apart but we didn't. We are still in this race FFS and I'll be damned if after 22 games I stop believing :x

awooga83

Established Member
I agree the season isn't over yet just felt that this fact which i hadn't really thought about before does put our position into a little bit of perspective.

Canuck

Established Member
Well put Jazz. There's still a ways to go, and a sustained title challenge is extremely stressfull on the team. I'll be very interested to see how they fare against Barca, and what it does to their confidence.

Remember how everyone was moaning about how we wouldn't beat Chelski when we played them? Well...
we still go to Stamford Bridge and I think we will beat them, we did em last season and this season their full team couldn't do jack s**t in open play against us and only our inept set piece defending gifted them goals, Henry should of scored as well so I think we will beat them.
Damn Straight!

Henry IV

What we need is for a bookmaker to pay out on Chelsea, that was a good jinx on Man Utd in 1998, and on us in 2003.

sienna

Don't forget they have to play Manure in the Carling Cup and that's played over 2 legs.

gakc1

It's definitely still possible. If we beat them at Stamford Bridge and Man U beat them at Old Trafford then that's six of their seven point lead gone.

itisme

I agree, its too early to say yet, its only 7 pionts afterall, we are still in this no matter what everyone else says ;D

KingReyes

Established Member
JazzG, You have made various points about Chelsea dropping points in future games and what happens when their players tire and FA Cup matches and CL matches come along. They are all good points you have made, but the same can be said with Arsenal.

Our squad isn't looking too fresh either, Kolo had played most games and so has Henry. What will happen to us when the CL and FA cup games come to us? Wenger has recently said he's more worried about Arsenal getting the results rather than waiting for Chelsea dropping points and I still agree with that. There is no point in Chelsea dropping points if we don't win our games.

As you said in your thread "16 games to go", we are going to have to go on a phenomenal run to win the league. But just like yourself I haven't given up. :wink:

Sammer

Established Member
KingReyes said:
JazzG, You have made various points about Chelsea dropping points in future games and what happens when their players tire and FA Cup matches and CL matches come along. They are all good points you have made, but the same can be said with Arsenal.

Our squad isn't looking too fresh either, Kolo had played most games and so has Henry. What will happen to us when the CL and FA cup games come to us? Wenger has recently said he's more worried about Arsenal getting the results rather than waiting for Chelsea dropping points and I still agree with that. There is no point in Chelsea dropping points if we don't win our games.

As you said in your thread "16 games to go", we are going to have to go on a phenomenal run to win the league. But just like yourself I haven't given up. :wink:

Exactly my thoughts, King Reyes.

Why speculate that Chelsea will be tired at some point? I don´t know any other squad in professional football that can match Chelsea´s squad depth at the moment.

We have to win one game at a time, and the Manchester City game showed again, how hard it is to compensate the injurie-absent players this season (not to speak about the off-form players like Paddy).

JazzG

Established Member
Players like Bergkamp, Reyes and Pires need to get their acts together and start performing. Freddie has started to get going again and even if he didn't have a great game he still got us the goal and in the last few games the same.

We need to go a run and think we could, if anyone can pull it out it is us. This time in 2002 we were looking abit ragged as well and had quite a few injuries to our squad but slowly we got our players back. Hopefully by the Bolton game many of the players should be back so we will go into that game in much better shape.

We have been there and done it all before and coped ok in the past with the build up of matches, Man utd also have been there before but Chelsea haven't, thats the point I was getting at. Also Chelsea haven't had many injuries to their first team, of course they might not happen but what if Robben and Duff get injured? They were without them before and really were struggling to score goals.

AFCG7

Established Member
Well looking at Chelsea's fixture list for the next Prem Games :

Tottenham,Portsmouth Blackburn,Man CIty,Everton, West Brom,Norwich , Palace ,Southampton , Birmingham.

I think they can win all of these ( maybe they'll draw one or two but they will still be in front). Thats where our problem lies..we'll have to match or better their performance over this period.

Then they have to play Man U and then they play us. Those will be the 2 key games of their season and our season.They've already played Liverpool twice so thats a big hurdle out of the way for them.Newcastle last day of the season for them too so anything could happen.

patrick42uk

Established Member
football is such a funny game though and in that fact lies our hope. another fact is that things can change quickly in one game. i feel fairly confident that by next weekend, the gap will be cut back to 5 points. now this depends very much on getting 3 points at the reebok, something we havent done in recent years. chelsea will find it hard against tottenham. they are good offensively, defensively and are playing with alot of confidence. i just dont see them getting 3 points. a draw will do for us, just to give some belief to the team and a sense of purpose. 5 points will mean its within reach as we still have to play chelsea.

our next 6 fixtures are a lot harder than chelsea's. we have newcastle, man utd and bolton to play. we HAVE to win all 6 because after that chelsea's difficult games come. everton away, blackburn away, back to back games againt united and arsenal. if chelsea come through these, they are deserving champions. we cannot afford to make it easy for them.

KingReyes

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
our next 6 fixtures are a lot harder than chelsea's. we have newcastle, man utd and bolton to play. we HAVE to win all 6 because after that chelsea's difficult games come. everton away, blackburn away, back to back games againt united and arsenal. if chelsea come through these, they are deserving champions. we cannot afford to make it easy for them.

Those games will be crucial, personally if we can stay in touch with Chelsea when those games come around maybe 3-5 points behind then anything is possible. If we are within touching distance and they have that added pressure going into the Man Utd and Arsenal games then its possible to turn it around. For the time being lets just continue to win our games.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom