• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Christian Abbiati

Clarkey

I'm actually thinking the opposite as I look at the club Wenger's trying to emulate, Ajax. We bring in these youngsters, give them a tutorage and if they don't work out we sell them in the hope they will achieve their potential somewhere else. But the feeling that will be built up like Ajax is that due to the players Arsenal upbringing his potential is that much greater. Building the myth kind of thing.

AFCG7

Established Member
Jan Lastuvka looks a really good keeper.. his CL performance was brilliant.. but i'd have to see him for a good length of time to be certain.

gakc1

Here's an interesting article on Abbiati from last May. He only made two appearances last season and has so far made two appearances this season.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... 20&cpid=21

Here are a couple of more recent articles which are also interesting:

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idN ... 49&progr=1

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idN ... 96&progr=0

And here are a couple of articles about our offer for him the summer before last, for all those whose memories aren't long enough:

As for the idea that Wenger likes his keepers to be relatively tall it is perhaps interesting to note that Abbiati is 6ft3, like Lehmann and Almunia.

AfC_li4nGht

Yepx... They are quite good, Leo Franco the up & coming GK for Argentina & Jan Lastuvka the peter cech no.2... Or Frey...

I wuld be disappointed if AW goes for unproven GK or GK in his retirement age...
Even players like Green & crystal palace keeper that we linked are really not good enough for us...

Izzit too much to splash 10million on a good keeper or 25million on SWP?
I hope wenger made the right choice :angel

Clarkey

How much would Franco and Lastuvka be on the market for? As Wenger could always do the Houllier and buy two keepers at the same time.

Soler

Established Member
Jan Lastuvka had a wonderful performance in the Nou Camp. While Barcelona may've won 3-0 he kept denying Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Iniesta and Deco so many chances to score with quick saves. He's pretty much Petr Cech mk. II.

He'd be sub 5m euros range I think.

dafish

i say bring in the biggest sumo wrestler in japan as our new gk. and then sign the 2nd biggest as a center back. have them 2 stand side by side on our goal line and i think we'll be doing pretty good :D

sorry. but the canadians are annoying me with hockey recently. them and their tiny goals. i keep asking themwhy not sign Shaq and have him sit in the fricking goal.

Ratinho

Established Member
I know Cech is a youngster but they hardly took a chance. Teams have been watching him for years and he cost £9m! :roll:

A

Anonymous

othen_9 said:
It is simple, we have not managed to replace David Seaman!
Either give Stuart Taylor a chance or (my preferred option) buy Sebastian Frey from Parma, im sure he will be more than happy to come and will not be too expensive!
Look at Chelsea they already had a quality keeper but they took a chance with a highly rated youngster and now look at him (Cech).
Its not even a risk Frey is quality, and he is french so he will fit right in!
Who cares about his attitude, he is professional enough, he knows he should be playing for a bigger team and for France but you don't see him complaining. He just carries on and gives his all.
Cudicini isnt big, Given isnt big and I certainly wouldnt mind them. It has to be Frey for me, no competition!

We dont need another keeper who carries on! thats what lehman does and it is stupid.

quattro

Ratinho said:
I know Cech is a youngster but they hardly took a chance. Teams have been watching him for years and he cost £9m! :roll:
that and reports say that we wanted to "take a chance" with him too, only that we didn't (and couldn't) win against the chelski spending machine.

Ratinho

Established Member
Erm, story straight fella.

Cech couldn't get a work permit back when Wenger wanted to sign him.

A

Anonymous

Look the best way to get a fantastic keeeper is to play a young one. Look at Casillas real madrid took a huge risk in playing him but boy has it payed off. Exactly the same as Victor Valdes. rather than Wenger going out and buying another 34 year old, he should look at Taylor and give hima a chance. Play him regurly and give him time to settle down. I beleive that in 2 years time it will be one of the best things Arsenal have ever done. you cant expect to send him out on loan everywhere and him come back and be worldclass. He needs confidence and regualr game time. Why spend money on a young goalkeeper when we have a perfectly good one waiting for a call up

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Look the best way to get a fantastic keeeper is to play a young one. Look at Casillas real madrid took a huge risk in playing him but boy has it payed off. Exactly the same as Victor Valdes. rather than Wenger going out and buying another 34 year old, he should look at Taylor and give hima a chance. Play him regurly and give him time to settle down. I beleive that in 2 years time it will be one of the best things Arsenal have ever done. you cant expect to send him out on loan everywhere and him come back and be worldclass. He needs confidence and regualr game time. Why spend money on a young goalkeeper when we have a perfectly good one waiting for a call up

I agree 100%. Give the lad a fair chance, don't drop him the moment he makes a clanger. I think it could definately pay off in the future if we give him a chance. If we're going young, play Taylor, if we're after experience, then we should sign someone like Abbiati or Hildebrand. I'd like to see Taylor get a run, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom