• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs. Olympiacos - 29/9/15 - 7.45pm - BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
http://www.theguardian.com/football...lympiakos-alfred-finnbogason-champions-league

"Arsenal ‘don’t want to defend’ says Olympiakos’s Alfred Finnbogason.

Arsenal have been described as the team who “don’t want to defend” by Alfred Finnbogason, the Olympiakos striker, who scored his club’s winning goal in the Champions League match at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night."
It's simple. Our way of defending is by keeping possession. That's how Wenger wants us to defend. If we have the ball, they can't score. That's why we love to just casually pass it about aimlessly, because when we do that, we're stopping them from scoring.

But when it actually comes to defending without the ball, how often does it take the other team just 1 or 2 chances to score a goal? Because we're just not comfortable at all when defending without the ball. When the opponent attacks us every 15 minutes or so, we panic and always seem to lose concentration. Because we're not used to sustaining pressure.

It's true what this manager says. We don't want to defend without the ball. That's why I'm not sure Wenger wants to set us up as a counter attacking team-because he's worried our defense isn't good enough to soak up the pressure. But funnily enough, it seems that our defence is more susceptible when we lose possession high up the pitch and are hit on the counter, than when we are defending deep as a compact unit. I'm just fed up of our style of football tbh.

Last edited:

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
It's simple. Our way of defending is by keeping possession. That's how Wenger wants us to defend. If we have the ball, they can't score. That's why we love to just casually pass it about aimlessly, because when we do that, we're stopping them from scoring.
partially true, we like possesion because we are a tecnical club, our players like to have the ball, they need the ball to show what is all about.

But when it actually comes to defending without the ball, how often does it take the other team just 1 or 2 chances to score a goal? Because we're just not comfortable at all when defending without the ball. When the opponent attacks us every 15 minutes or so, we panic and always seem to lose concentration. Because we're not used to sustaining pressure.
Last season with coquelins emergence we started to defend deep and hit teams on the break, we tried to do that against olympiakos, we had 2 clear chances at the beggining of the first half, we couldnt capitalize it and we were punished.
If you rotate your back 4 and your keeper that much you can expect to be rock solid after only 2 months of proffesional football.
It's true what this manager says. We don't want to defend without the ball. That's why I'm not sure Wenger wants to set us up as a counter attacking team-because he's worried our defense isn't good enough to soak up the pressure. But funnily enough, it seems that our defence is more susceptible when we lose possession high up the pitch and are hit on the counter, than when we are defending deep as a compact unit. I'm just fed up of our style of football tbh.

undestand the frustration, but we all knew that this team was not build for the CL, and that mentally we are nowhere ready to challenge on Europe.
We are on a good position in the league, we still can push for the title, we are adding goals to our form and we have a world class game changer winger in our team, Theo looks clinical and Ramsey/Cazorla/Özil are all great great players, we are starting to click. It will get better, we just need a good result on the weekend, we break Chelsea on the Charity shield and look what happened to them after that, we can do the same with this United, and we can get a big boost. crucial, crucial game.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
It's fine to say that our style of defence is possession but when we can't even defend against set-pieces that's a coaching shortfall. Besides, when you have a team who can't keep the ball against competent teams for more than 57% of the time that leaves you vulnerable 43% of the time and that spells a loss. Not to mention the fact that that we're not exactly brilliant at breaking down opponent defences either. So what's the point of keeping a ball if you can't make something out of it?

Our style needs to change, Wenger needs to start actually coaching this team.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Arsène Wenger’s ill-fated decision to select David Ospina as Champions League goalkeeper against Olympiakos was the cause of internal surprise at Arsenal, especially as Petr Cech wanted to play and had declared himself fit
- Jeremy Wilson

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
partially true, we like possesion because we are a tecnical club, our players like to have the ball, they need the ball to show what is all about.

Are we really though? I'm shocked how often we lose possession because our players can't control a football unless their opponent lets them. All it takes is a bit of disciplined pressing and it's heavy touch/wayward pass galore. Cazorla, Özil, Rosicky and Wilshere are the only attacking players who I'd blindly trust to control a difficult pass. If we want to play a technical, possession-based game we need better players in my opinion.

ScotVieira

Established Member
Are we really though? I'm shocked how often we lose possession because our players can't control a football unless their opponent lets them. All it takes is a bit of disciplined pressing and it's heavy touch/wayward pass galore. Cazorla, Özil, Rosicky and Wilshere are the only attacking players who I'd blindly trust to control a difficult pass. If we want to play a technical, possession-based game we need better players in my opinion.
This.
A lot of people turn a blind eye to the quality of our players. Most of them are not technically sound and crumble when pressed as they require too many touches to control the ball. I still maintain that only a few of our players will start for any of the other top 4 teams on quality alone.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

http://www.theguardian.com/football...lympiakos-alfred-finnbogason-champions-league

"Arsenal ‘don’t want to defend’ says Olympiakos’s Alfred Finnbogason.

Arsenal have been described as the team who “don’t want to defend” by Alfred Finnbogason, the Olympiakos striker, who scored his club’s winning goal in the Champions League match at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night."

The second time some half-bit coach comes along and tells us what we've all been saying, we are the most predictable team in top flight football.

Reactions: KAB

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

This.
A lot of people turn a blind eye to the quality of our players. Most of them are not technically sound and crumble when pressed as they require too many touches to control the ball. I still maintain that only a few of our players will start for any of the other top 4 teams on quality alone.

Lol yeah because the BPL is littered with technical giants like Manchester City/United and Chelsea?

The whole league is way behind the rest of Europe in this regard, especially with pressing and defending without the ball.

fabo

6.51 / 10
We're playing in European competition, the best in the world, with a midfield trio of Coquelin, Cazorla, Özil.

Fairly obvious there's gonna be problems there. Imbalanced and weak.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Not sure what else people expect these guys to say. The only correct response is to admit they were poor and to commit to being better.
True but after years of spouting the same thing-I don't believe these ****ers anymore. They generally improve until they get complacent again & then fall into the same traps & make the same mistakes.
Everything about our results is predictable.

It's like our match performances-you're just waiting for Arsenal to ****itup because recent history has told you that they always do. They'll turn it around for a while & then just when you think you've moved on from past debacles-BOOM, they ****itup again. It's so predictable now-utterly frustrating and down to one man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom