• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal - 16.03.2016, BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

alboots101

Established Member
Barca never really got going but theY still scored three, as for us, I bought we did OK some bright spots, Elneny, Iwobi, Özil was awful at times and Alexis tried hard but never really got anywhere, I wasn't expecting anything and that's what I got.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Don't think you should judge Barcelona on last night. They were in 2nd gear most of the time. However I don't think they, or any other team is outirght favourite to win the CL. It's a Cup competition ans there are enough very good teams left.

No but even when they were at ours , a more polished team would have punished them .

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

We really didn't take the game to Barcelona, they toyed with us. That is basically how they play against lesser team in the league. We lost 5-1 over two legs, bottling massive chances that could of swung the game and people are trying to take positives? :lol: And fans moan at Wenger’s mentality.
Amen! How can anyone come away from these two games and feel anything but frustration and anger. We are not even close to competing in the CL. We are not even close in our won domestic league. Never felt Barcelona came out of second gear. Pathetic to think we played well and even worse to fawn over Messi like Wenger did at the press conference. I cannot stand it.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
No but even when they were at ours , a more polished team would have punished them .
True. Could be they were not fully focussed the 1st leg too. They'ld approach a 1st leg away v say Bayern differently.

I do agree that they're not unbeatable. I meant there is no odds on favourite in the CL. Bayern, Barcelona, PSG are pretty close and could be knocked out by teams not mentioned yet.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
The only thing that could have saved us is if Ramsey wasn't injured. 2 famous people died yesterday so he would have had at least a brace ;)

goonerwarsh

Established Member
We went out with a whimper. I don't think we can take much away from this tie. I don't even think Barca will feel like they were genuinely tested or pushed to any kind of limit. Maybe if we'd stuck away a chance, but there's always if's and maybe's with Arsenal. This isn't even a great Barcelona, they're good in the middle and the front three is legendary but they're there to be got at in defence. The performance was ok last night but the bottom line is they put 3 past us without even looking like they were trying.

We're miles and miles away from competing at this level, and considering how many consecutive years we've been in this damn thing, we've learnt absolutely f**k all in how to play it. You would think that every year you were watching a naive, young team having their first crack at Champions League football. The european campaign from the group stages to our inevitable knock out has been an embarrassment, as has our season as a whole. Not good enough, simple as that.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There's a good piece in the Guardian this morning, offers a good analogy.

'It isn't hard to see why Barcelona like playing Arsenal. There isn't a gret deal to fear when you are essentially playing an own-brand supermarket version of yourself'

Ouch

That would be funny if it wasn't completely outdated.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
For all of the comments of Barca not getting out of second gear. I think they are ridiculous. I don't particularly find them entertaining in the slightest. They are efficient in front of goal and that's about it really. Neymar cuts in and plays it to Messi. Messi cuts in and plays it to Neymar. They make the same runs. They don't do anything spectacular. The key is they press as a unit. We don't. We press individually. If we were actually able to press and convert chances we would have destroyed them. 20 shots ffs and most of them in the 18 yard box, 1 goal, and people are still in awe of the 2 goals we gave them along with am unmarked shin by Suarez. Some of our passing was excuisite. We just fall short in finishing and defending and quite frankly if you can't do that then you won't be able to beat Swansea let alone Barcelona.

emilursin

I dont get why some people here are so upset that Juve are out, we of all teams should know the importance of this, this means the PL are still guaranteed 4 spots in the CL,

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
I dont get why some people here are so upset that Juve are out, we of all teams should know the importance of this, this means the PL are still guaranteed 4 spots in the CL,

Maybe that would be a good thing for the Epl and revamp how teams in this country approach their football because at this present time we are worlds apart from Europes e'ite. At least us and Chelsea should be doing better.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
For all of the comments of Barca not getting out of second gear. I think they are ridiculous. I don't particularly find them entertaining in the slightest. They are efficient in front of goal and that's about it really. Neymar cuts in and plays it to Messi. Messi cuts in and plays it to Neymar. They make the same runs. They don't do anything spectacular. The key is they press as a unit. We don't. We press individually. If we were actually able to press and convert chances we would have destroyed them. 20 shots ffs and most of them in the 18 yard box, 1 goal, and people are still in awe of the 2 goals we gave them along with am unmarked shin by Suarez. Some of our passing was excuisite. We just fall short in finishing and defending and quite frankly if you can't do that then you won't be able to beat Swansea let alone Barcelona.

Aren't you describing a typical Arsenal loss though? I don't find it particularly encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom