• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal | 17/05/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meek

come on guys. i honestly believe we were told to play like that, this was evident because even henry had to defend. the final will be much for open if we get barca. if we get milan its gonna be tougher i think because if they score 1 you just know they will sit back and defend, whilst barca can be more easily exposed at the back. 3 weeks is way too long. i cant wait.

joetsang

our poor poor performance against villarreal has little to do with formation or tactics. the fact is, many arsenal players have a serious dip in form, which are already evident in recent games.

look at henry, he might not have the support from the midfield he needs, but even his ball handling and passinareis so poor, which suggest to me that he is suffering from fatigue or nagging injury, and possibly both.

same for fabregas.

the good thing is, relatively speaking, the arsenal defence has been doing a fine job - lehmann, the back four and gilberto.

of course, the physical and emotional drain of the Sp**s game could explain part of our lack of decent showing, even after half-time.

so, with this in mind, and if we do believe that the cl crown is our "once a life time" chance, i would avocate playing the remaining league games with a "league cup"ish lineup so as to let key players rest/recover and avoid picking up new injuries.

if we perform to our potential capabilities, the gap between us and barca/milan is only minimal.

BannedKwame

No brainer for me: 4-5-1 against Barcelona. With Barcelona, 4-5-1 will lessen the possession gap and limit their dominance in the middle. It will also clog the spaces Deco/Iniesta/Van Bommel have in the middle. The 4-3-3 is effective because it infers ownership of a narrow midfield, and with Ronaldinho's trickery on the left, is just perfect for them. 4-5-1 at all costs, and hopefully with Cole or Clichy at left back, so we can exploit the spaces left by their full backs. Whomever we play, this figures to be an exciting final.

We would probably find Milan easier to beat. On May 17, Barca's squad should be fully fit.

--------------------------Valdes------------------
--Oleguer-------Puyol----Marquez-----GvB--
-----------------------Edmilson-------------------
---------Deco------------------------Xavi---------
---Messi-------------------------------------R10--
------------------------Eto'o------------------------

versus

------------------------Lehmann--------------------
--Eboue-----Toure------------Senderos----Cole-
------------------------Gilberto-----------------------
------Hleb--------Cesc-----Ljunberg------Reyes---
------------------------Henry---------------------------

...Or course if RvP discovers his form, I replace Reyes with Freddie and stick RvP in the hole.

MOUTH WATERING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssa

arsenal defense is getting better day by day and hope it wont stop getting better, alot of players need to be rested but the substitues need to be sharp to take the 4th spot in the premier league its vital not to loose the champions spot

mood

BannedKwame, I 100% agree with you.

Barca only play 3 players in midfield. Their formation is kindof similar to what we play, but with their wingers much much more offensive, which will leave spaces and help us exploit it. Let's hope so.

Even though they've got Ronaldinho, I've seen him have many off games here and there and he's not particularly unstoppable.

Eto'o is a threat, but Toure-Eboue delt with him in the African Nations Cup and I dont see why they cant deal with him today.

Another thing is, no matter how great this current Barca side is. They haven't been tested in a big game like a Champions League final yet (neither have we), but we've been through bigger games with Henry & co. We have no idea how they'll perform however or whther they'll live up to the hype. Rijkaard is not as experienced as Wenger as well. If we fire all cylinders and hope Barca get nervous, we'll finish them.

Rahul

BannedKwame said:
No brainer for me: 4-5-1 against Barcelona. With Barcelona, 4-5-1 will lessen the possession gap and limit their dominance in the middle. It will also clog the spaces Deco/Iniesta/Van Bommel have in the middle. The 4-3-3 is effective because it infers ownership of a narrow midfield, and with Ronaldinho's trickery on the left, is just perfect for them. 4-5-1 at all costs, and hopefully with Cole or Clichy at left back, so we can exploit the spaces left by their full backs. Whomever we play, this figures to be an exciting final.

We would probably find Milan easier to beat. On May 17, Barca's squad should be fully fit.

versus

...Or course if RvP discovers his form, I replace Reyes with Freddie and stick RvP in the hole.

Spot on.
but i do not think playing rvp in freddies place is a good idea

Uri

We deserve it.
The team deserve it.
Henry desereves it.
Arsène desereves it.
Highbury deserves it.

Now let's go get that cup.

Uri

BannedKwame said:

versus

I don't know... Lehman as a striker and Henry as a goalkeeper... I don't know... :D

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

kel varnsen said:
hujja said:
We should take the same approach we took in the FA Cup Final. Employ damage limitation tactics and then win on penalties.

if we do, we'll get killed. barca are too good; there is no way we'll be able to sit back and let them have at us for 90 mins without conceding at least a goal or two.

Doing that would be absolutely terrible it would bring the put the final into direpute , I would rather lose honestly than play for penalties. The idea disgusts me .

Gurgen

Established Member
BannedKwame said:

It won't be mate, Messi is out. He's a doubt for the World Cup even.

Henara

arsenal vs. barca

i said last year in december: final will be: arsenal vs. barca!

and i still think this will be it!
barca will beat milan again, because they have the same high skilled players + ronaldinho, messi and eto!

messi may be injured, but roni and eto can`t be taken out of the game form the milan defenders!

and what about arsenal vs. barca?
it will be THE GAME of the season!
one-touch-football meats best technical (sry i dont really know how its written right) football!

in this case, arsenal has the advantage, that their players are over all maybe a little bit better (all very fast and can all go through bye fast dribblings f.e. Hleb, Reyes, Eboue...)!

while (in my oppinion) Arsenal has an over-all-player "level" which is a little bit higher then barca, there are roni, eto and messi! well, messi is out, i am sorry for that! it would have been better for the game!

it will be very interesting, what is more important, a better team work (arsenal) or the tec(h)nique from ronaldinho!

i would say milan would be easier to play, cause a (superb) defender like ebou could take an inzaghi completely out of the game!
but if there is ronaldinho or eto thats not the same!

i think that the barca defense is much better then milans!
but for henry it should not be a problem to ge through!

so: i think it will be a superb game, for me arsenal is the stronger team! but lets see how it will end!

hertyid

Hey. Have been on here a lot the last few weeks, mainly involved in arguments over the relative merits of Sp**s and how to measure our success this season, but whilst I hate to say it, last night and today are all about Arsenal. You rode your luck, you played like **** (why I'll never know, even Wenger couldn't understand it), but 10 clean sheets don't lie. You've been brilliant in the CL this season, you've somehow managed to coax the best out of previously average players (Gilberto is finally playing like a WC winner, and Flamini, last year he couldn't even play in CM, now he's a LB!).

Anyway, just wanted to say well done. I still hope you lose in Paris obviously. Anything else would be terrible for Sp**s. But for getting this far I congratulate you. Barca or Milan, both will be the biggest test so far, probably in the top 3 teams in Europe right now with Chelsea, but you've as good a chance as anyone.

Ronaldinho v Henry, hell even I'm excited.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
What a good morning it is! The hangover makes it even better. P A R I S!

Anyway 4-1-4-1 is not the right system to play against FC Barcelona's 4-3 (with DMF)-3. I will elaborate on that the moment our opponent is known.

wingontravel

ljungberg doesn't have the skill to play in this. we have to attack, and hes passing range to link up with henry is not good enough. reyes is just utter crap. Great skills but his mentaility is not right in the head. doesn't take responsibility for his actions. i think hes massive price tag really messed with his head. This game requires the skill of pires and bergkamp. to thread that pass to henry.

don't those two look more attacking then ljungberg and reyes? if u have doubts about bergkamp and pires defendings, its a champions league final, they will run their arse off.

with bergkamp and pires on the left, fabregas and helb and eboue on the right. i really feel we have the amunition to flogg barcelona.

Flamini and senderos got us there, they deserve their place. karma and luck will play a role here so they must play.

--------------------Lehmann

Eboue-------Toure---------Senderos-----Flamini

---------------------Gilberto
Hleb-------Fabregas------Bergkamp------Pires

----------------------Henry

Subs: Almunia, Campbell, Djourou, Diaby, Song Ljungberg, Reyes, VanPersie

imbak said:
Me and my friend have it worked out already. 3-1 Arsenal. The goofy brazilian scores a wonder goal in the 3rd minute and then Eto'o misses an open goal in the 5th.
On 41 minutes Toure tackles the ball, passes to Eboue, who gives it to Hleb. He runs past a few players and gives it to Cesc who threads a through ball for Henry to score.
75th minute Bergkamp comes on, assuming he travels. He turns Puyol and scores like he did against Newcastle a couple seasons ago.
On 89 minutes Ronaldinho hits the post and the ball goes out of play after hitting Senderos. Valdes comes up for the corner. Lehman catches the corner and then kicks the ball upfield as hard as he can... AND SCORES.

Hell i wont mind that barcelona can hit the post 70 times for all i care as long as arsenal lift that trophey

Feis-al

Bergy_1995 said:
Whoever we play, we seriously need to change our approach. I.e. Not play like we did tonight - otherwise we'll get STUFFED. Which won't be too pleasurable.

Guys, The way we played yesterday is what exactly those "Dolphines" deserved. They refused to play football when we score and were not even bothered with the 1-0 knowing they could turn us when we go. They time wasted, feigned injury and really frustrated us. We therefore just took what we learnt and sampled for them what it feels like when you are the only one playing. We don't have a lead to protect but rather have to get one which will mean we shall play football and if you think Barca is good, just and see their defence. Apparently, They have some bookings and May Lord help them and Puyol makes it to the final because that is the only guy who can play in our defence. Will post the link of bookings if I find one but if anyone can, help us to see who is near suspension for both Milan and Barca

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Darius said:
any news about Flamini's injury? I'd prefer him to Cole/Clichy in the final.
Me and you both Darius, he deserves to play in the final, he has worked his socks off, it would be a major bummer if he could not play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom