• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Celta Vigo vs Arsenal | 24/02/04

Andrew

If our problem is defending of set-pieces, then that is ok. I can't remember it as a weakness of us this season, we were due to conceed a couple of set pieces. But if it is a problem it is something that can be easily worked on. At least the goals are still flowing, a bit more concentration and practice at defending set pieces will help us become more solid again. This is only the fourth time (I think) that we've conceeded 2 goals or more in a match, which is an excellent effort. We are a very solid team and I get sick to death of how people's opinion just changes so quickly due to one match. It's what you call jumping on the bandwagon. I am still confident we can at least make the final. Look at the other away performances last night. Milan couldn't score a goal, Monaco lost in Moskow, while Real were completely dominated in Munich and were lucky to get away with a draw. I really can't understand why people all of a sudden think we can't make the finals when all the other teams are less than impressive as well.

And Edu wasn't all that great today I thought. He scored a goal and a great goal, but was pretty ordinary apart from that. Still probably deserves MOTM for us. Edu for them was probably the overall MOTM.

EDIT: Sorry, that last paragraph doesn't make any sense. I'm saying he wasn't that great and then I say he was MOTM. :? What I mean to say was he was excellent and the match winner, but wasn't perfect. Still was our best player though. :)

Soler

Established Member
It's also pretty doubtful that Milan were playing for a goal like they did in the group stage against Celta. Those Italian's just love a 0-0 goalfest.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Mark said:
Neither Gilberto or Edu deserve a place ahead of the other, whoever is playing we will have some kind of quality that the other doesn't give us, but we will also miss a quality that the other gives us. I'm just glad we have such great options in midfield and we can rotate players and never really be that much weaker.

Freddie was still not match fit. Gilberto would have been better (had he been fit) to play on the right, with Edu in the middle. This would have given us a lot more defensive cover and I reckon we may have stopped at least one of those goals. That formation looks pretty invincible after a shakey first go.

Edu is a bloody hero, so Yes I do want him starting.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
lewdikris said:
Both Clichy and Reyes were playing their first Champions League games EVER. They both did ok. And that's good enough for a competition debut.

I am seeing that we really miss Cole in those attacks on the left. Bobby and Henry need his input to really sting the opp'. MOTM should almost go to Clichy though. He was awesome. It is just in attack that he needs to learn a little more from Cole. I know he will come through.

lewdikris said:
Did we miss Gilberto? I'd rather have had him out there than Freddie, let's put it that way, who was patently unfit, and so would Wenger. It

Yes, by golly. This formation totally negates their left side I like it a lot. It is great for those games that we want to keep that side quiet. We do lose something in attack (although Gilgerto was through twice on goal at Chelski which with Freddies injuries is more than he has for a while).

Lay off with the 'our defense was crap' I know it was at set pieces, but that is very out of the ordinary.

lewdikris

Established Member
If we were **** fans and were talking about how bad we are defending set pieces, i'd understand it.

Utd have conceded nine or ten set piece goals in the last few weeks, and have a definite weakness there - we just had a bad game. It happens.

It's hard getting back into the European swing of things - as a largely incoherent set of matches last night proved. It''s been 3 months since the last match. That's a longtime - but now we can refocus our attentions we'll go the distance, by whatever means necessary.

Adam

Established Member
Reyes, for me, showed some of his true colours in moments last night... some colours we are yet to see in England...

The defending will improve - i think the enormity of the pitch made us have to adapt defensively. Suddenly there are gaps as a result which teams wouldn't usually find in England. We had to get tighter as a result.

We didn't hold that high a line yesterday.

juz7_pi12es

"At left-back was Sylvinho, now spelling his name with a Y rather than an I after leaving Arsenal in rather mysterious circumstances. Wonder if he altered his passport?"

LOL :lol:

Mark

Established Member
juz7_pi12es said:
"At left-back was Sylvinho, now spelling his name with a Y rather than an I after leaving Arsenal in rather mysterious circumstances. Wonder if he altered his passport?"

I noticed that. I wasn't sure but I always remembered him as Silvinho. :lol:

Adam

Established Member
Mark said:
juz7_pi12es said:

I noticed that. I wasn't sure but I always remembered him as Silvinho. :lol:

It's because 'i' in Spanish is pronounced 'ee' - so he would be called 'Seelvinho'. The Y ensures the same pronunciation.

bobbypires

Established Member
Yesterday I read some match reports of Spanish newspapers (Marca, Faro de Vigo, La Voz de Galicia, Diario de Pontevedra) and they said that Clichy was the worst of Arsenal with difference. And the best palyers were Titi (Marca), Edu (La Voz de Galicia) & Vieira (Faro de Vigo).

And the best they wrote was: the referee wants Arsenal in the next round (Faro de Vigo. They are huge Celta supporters).

Marca wrote this about Arsenal players:
Lehmann: better than Kahn
Lauren: active
Toure: secure
Campbell: awkward
Clichy: limited
Ljungberg: everywhere
Edu: huge goal
Vieira: a colossus
Pires: an artist
Reyes: a ray
Henry: a great player
Kanu: quality

JazzG

Established Member
Agree with some of them but Clichy limited :? Vieira, Bobby, Henry and Ljundberg had poor games by their standards and tey get good reviews......

Latest posts+

Top Bottom