• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Real Madrid vs Arsenal/AFC vs RM | 21/02/06 & 08/03/06

invisibleman18

Established Member
It was a cracking game. It was end to end heart in mouth stuff. Well worth missing a uni class for.

From the start it was clear Real were going to give it all they had and somehow we managed to survive that frenetic opening 20 mins without conceding. And then we began to create chances of our own. All in all it was a very even game I felt and we probably deserved our 1-0 aggregate win. It feels all the more sweeter as we were completely written off and many people including myself had expected some sort of cricket score against us. I never believed we would get through, even after winning the first leg, and the first time I began to believe was at about 83 minutes of this match.
Henry once again was magnificant leading from the front, and Hleb had by far his best game in an Arsenal shirt even after a dodgy start. Lehmann was as usual superb in goal.
Really don't care who we get in the next round. Would rather avoid Barcalona, but other then them I'm really not bothered. Still no team needs to worry, Henry doesn't step up in the big ones.

As I said after the 1st leg, this is why you follow a football team, for days like this, and I can't think of too many better days I have had as an Arsenal fan.

Meek

Still no team needs to worry, Henry doesn't step up in the big ones.

Normally I would agree. However, over the 2 legs I felt Henry played well. he was well up for it. he had some good moments. I hope he keeps it up.

Meek

just a quick question. rather than starting a new thread, I thought i would ask here. but what is the record for the longest time without conceading a goal in europe? We have only conceded 2 goals this season in the UCL.

Artillero

bojed said:
gunner_down_under said:
what a night!!!.....woke up at 3:30am for the second night running because of Barca-Chelski last night!!.......to say it was completely worth it is an understatement!!

When Hleb starts shooting, he would win the FIFA player of the year because he looks like he's got some magic glue and the ball sticks to his feet!!!....either that or I haven't had enough sleep!!

Hope we dont get Barca or Milan yet for the quarters!....but then again, I was hoping for Rangers for this round!!

[be]did anyone catch Freddie saying "eeeyy German!!!" to Jens at the end of the game[/be]....it was caught on ESPN!.....mad mad s**t!!!

yeah i heard it loud and clear too :lol:

German is Jens nickname. I remember him saying so in the Arsenal mag.

jay-d

Established Member
Meek said:
Still no team needs to worry, Henry doesn't step up in the big ones.

Normally I would agree. However, over the 2 legs I felt Henry played well. he was well up for it. he had some good moments. I hope he keeps it up.
:? Erm I think he was being sarcastic. Doh.

regele

Established Member
It was the most beautiful goalless draw I've ever seen in my life.

My respect to all the guys who created that thrilling atmosphere in the crowd.

AFCFan4Ever

First off, I have to admit that I'm typing this with tears dried to my face and more welling up in my eyes...lol I didn't want to say that but I can't help it. I had to watch the game on tape delay, damn ESPN 2, it was so hard to wait all day and night but I'm glad I did. I just cannot express how much this win meant to me personally and to everyone and everything associated with Arsenal. No one gave us a chance and to see our boys come out and fight the odds over two legs with nothing but huge heart, grit, determination, hunger, and passion makes me realize just how special of a club this is and how much I love it. People that don't support Arsenal won't understand it and that's ok, I don't expect them to...we all know what it means and that's all that matters. I'm just almost speechless to be honest, my hands are still shaking.

I don't want to get into the game too much but I just want to single out Henry, Hleb, Lehmann, and Toure for their absolutely tremendous performances. I mean the whole team played very well and I don't want to sound like I'm picking favorites here but IMO those guys really held it together for us...Henry did just about everything except score (TBH he could've had 1 or 2 with some luck), Hleb was a workhorse all night long that controlled the midfield and was at his creative best, Toure was the consummate stalwart in defense...commanding and confident, and Jens was just a warrior who did everything right AT the right time...he's been our best player this season and tonight showed why he should be considered one of th world's elite. Also Arsène Wenger deserves a lot of respect and praise for what we accomplished...the man stuck to his guns (no pun intended) and went with the people and the strategy that brought him to the dance, he showed over these two legs why he's the genius that he is.

I just don't really know what else to say...all I can say is...we did it...we really did it...

Taozhe

Meek said:
just a quick question. rather than starting a new thread, I thought i would ask here. but what is the record for the longest time without conceading a goal in europe? We have only conceded 2 goals this season in the UCL.

Not too sure about that. Perhaps a visit to the uefa webbie might help. Also I notice Henry is winning headers more often than before - in the recent fulham game as well but maybe it's just fulham and madrid.

Viper

Established Member
ultra_sur said:
congrats gooners! Goodluck with the rest of the tournament
hopefully you'll manage to finish top 4 in your league so we can meet again in Europe

... Goodluck against Liverpool!

till next season
8)

Btw we are currently unbeaten in the Champions League, and the last goal we conceded was against Ajax..

Maybe Wenger was right about us being unbeaten, but there are still a few more games to go..

the dawn raids

Established Member
i too just finished the game. avoided the internet and any sports program for 12 hours, besically became a hermit for half a day. not that im complaining now.

i wont go into too much as most of its been said. hleb started slowly, but slowly came into his own; he really stood out in the second half. fab didnt command as much as he did in the first leg, but was always composed and kept the ball moving. the whole back 4 was immense as well; very few clear cut chances (how did raul miss in all honesty?), and besides a few bad flamini tackles and sendeross' looping header which almost gave me a heart attack, it was a job well done. ljungberg is looking better, and reyes was decent (i really didnt agree with him being substituted so early). on to the quarters.

alexander_hleb

that was F**king amazing. Me and my dad woke up at 4 am to watch it and what relief i had when the final whistle blew.Great preformance by the boys

Rohit

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
reyes was decent (i really didnt agree with him being substituted so early). on to the quarters.

i don't think his substitution was down to his performance because he was decent and yet was offering more than Pires could.His misses got to him i think and we all know how much of a confidence player he is.

Anyways he worked hard and had a yellow to his name and i thought could get a yellow anytime implying he would miss the next match if we qualified.
So it's all good.

Great performance though,proud to be a gunner,if only we the players had shown half the passion,determination and urgency they have shown over these two ties.

A nerve wracking game but the 7665926509723475073405 mini heart attacks were worth it.

marco

I am finding it hard to describe to anyone how happy i feel at this moment in time.

Last night was one of the great nights at highbury.
At the final whistle there were people near me nearly in tears with emotion at what they had just seen.
I have never seen anything like it.
The greatest nil nil arsenal have ever played.

Im still absolutely buzzing!
Cant stop thinking about it and have hugged everyone at work!
This makes up for every **** northern trip this season makes up for being in fifth place!

And to think we had one player 30+ and apart from freddy henry and gilberto all under 24!

Great! Great! Great!

better than a threesome with cheryl tweedy and sienna miller!

Yours still buzzing and very very very happy!

Rahul

This was the best birthday gift i have got in my life.

The best football ive seen for along long time

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
one question:

are we the first english team to beat real madrid both home and away and deny them the chance to play in the CL quarter finals?

sn196

Was it just me or did anyone elses breathing change when Lehmann made that save???

I thought i was about to have a heart attack, i had to start taking deep breaths!!!!

Not a bad way or place to go really isit??

Top Bottom