• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Clarification Needed

Alexone234

Dein say "there is transfer money in the kitty. It is up to Arsène whether he wants to spend it, but it is no secret that we are looking for a striker"

Wenger "I have some Christmas money to spend on my family but not on my team"

Pires "we will not be bringing anyone in to the team in January. OUr players are coming back into the side and we have planty of young players coming through"

all paraphrased.

What do we think is the truth?

1) There was some money but it has been either swallowed by other costs or was linked to some sales etc?

2) There was no one Wenger wanted to buy so the money is still in the bank?

3) We are in negotiation or planning to bring a big and resonably expensive player in the summer, and Wenger doesn't want any short term replaements?

I think 3, but there maybe other paths to truth.

XxGoonaStuxX

yeah its a 50/50. I really hope Wenger is saying all this and keeping quiet so we don't go into a bidding war but we still get a player :)

Mark

Established Member
i doubt we will buy anyone to be honest. the money will go towards contracts or something else, but apparently this means wenger has faith in our youngsters which is a good sign.

Alexone234

youngsters are a mixed bag. If you have some cash to buy where the youngster fail, then its great.

If you have to play youngsters in positions where they are not the best but you have no choice, thats not too good.

I hope Wenger has some cash stowed away for a rainy day, i.e. today for a new striker.

Andrew

At least one of the quotes must be wrong or taken out of context. Perhaps there is money but Wenger sees no point in spending it and would rather see the stadium plans go down the right track.

Jinn

Established Member
It seems to me that there is money, but Arsène sees nothing that merits him spending anything.

Then again, it could well be a bluff to ensure there are no rival bids for a transfer target, and thus we're keeping the cost down.

Dunno really.

jc8gooner

Then again, it could well be a bluff to ensure there are no rival bids for a transfer target, and thus we're keeping the cost down.

I hope and suspect that this might be true. Wenger has always been a smooth and shrewd operator in the transfer market.

johe

jc8gooner said:

I hope and suspect that this might be true. Wenger has always been a smooth and shrewd operator in the transfer market.

This is the most likely. Or loans. We may be loaning someone.

I'm getting a headache, so im gonna go sleep until the end of january.

Jasper

I was very dissapointed while watching "football focus" We are expected to finish third in the league because Manure and Chelski have better squads than we do.

It's tough when we are something like 450 million in debt while Chelski and Manure have that much in their accounts.

We'll see if trophies are bought or competed for?

vin de guerre

We are NOT in debt to the value of 450 mil!
You are forgeting all the capital that is hanging around ie Highbury and Ashburton Grove!!!

Jasper

That's what I mean't

We have to shell out 400+ million for Ashburton Grove.

I do not think we will see income from the new stadium for years to come.

reggiepaul

I have a feeling someone if coming in though. Most of our players pop up out of the blue and over a week someone is part of the first team. I don't exactly know what he would strengthen but I feel (considering his talk recently) it's going to be a right sided attacking midfielder striker type player :D :D ;D OR well that's all I think the team needs at present. Unless we sell someone and then he needs replacing.

Hopefully Pennant returns and is given a run in.

AFCG7

Established Member
Wenger wont bring anyone in unless he agrees to the terms we are offering.
He wont bring anyone in if they are asking for : more money or a first team guarantee.

lewdikris

Established Member
From other things Wenger has said, i'd think he has a specific (single) target - probably Kluivert - but isn't sure if he'll come now or in the summer. He's confident enough in the squad and the kids not to buy someone on impulse he's not 100% sure of, and unless he can get his man, won't get anyone....

Sound business sense, but the risk you have to take with the January window which the big clubs usually ignore.

Top Bottom