• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Collina, Frisk, Merk and Nielsen to Referee the Premiership?

Adam

Established Member
Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main ... footy.html

Would this affect the Premierships physical style? Foreign Ref's might induce more blowing of the whistle and disrupt the pace of the games imo. It might be good for judgement of big decisions, but alot of fouls are given which shouldn't be given in foreign leagues.

Graham Poll seems to be a celeb refereee - is a telegraph journalist when he wants to be. He loves the attention.

He won't be remembered as a great referee himself.

Olofski

It would be interesting to see if the game would be different. I know that in the Swedish ice-hockey league they have Finnish refs sometimes and vice versa.

/Olofski
SWEDEN

jc8gooner

I would welcome referees of this quality into our league. They might get more abuse from fans if they are bad, but I reckon that those you have mentioned are among the best in the world. Certainly Frick and Collina are excellent and would surely do a fine job en Angleterre. I would be surprised if they didn't want to referee here too. The Prem is the most challenging and exciting league to be in, esp if you are a referee. Plus, there is a lot less diving in our league than in other european leagues, and I know for a fact that all referees hate diving and players trying to con them.

A

Anonymous

I'd certainly like to see how they fare - though they can experiment on non-Arsenal matches.

Sammer

Established Member
That would be a great idea, might minimize the chance to get some of the biased refs in the EPL

Valleyman

Sammer said:
That would be a great idea, might minimize the chance to get some of the biased refs in the EPL
If you think they're biased here, I guess you've never heard of the scandals in Italy, where clubs have offered several referees bribes, and this something simply untolerable in football. Whilst readings Tim Park's "A Season with Verona" I realised what controvesy there is there, and much more refs tend to let there personal feelings and hopes get in the way for their actual job. All of this without any kind of punishment. Simply intolerable.

Here in Sweden refs are almost unmentioned of in match reports, thus creating a mcuh morefriendly attitude towards refs. Biased refs are unheard of here. What is the situation in other foreign countries?

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I think we almost NEED Collina to referee the next Arsenal v Man U match. He would keep the game flowing while not been impressed with the acting up of the Manure players.

Here a lot of refs are biassed towards Manure. I know some give us better decisions against the smaller clubs, but against Manure nearly all refs are biassed. Collina would be great imo.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I like Collina, he is my fave ref.
Nielsen now is it me or is he biased against any english teams when he been ref.

A

Anonymous

After seeing the performace of Jeff Winter in the Villa game tonight, i would welcome it.

Mark

Established Member
Yeah Collina would be great in Arsenal v Man U, he's the kind of ref who should be refereeing these games not the kind of ones we have in the Premiership, like that idiot Bennet last time who just wanted Man U to win.

Olofski

Sol said:
After seeing the performace of Jeff Winter in the Villa game tonight, i would welcome it.

I´ve always likek Jeff Winter and he still is my fav prem ref but last night he was out of shape!

A

Anonymous

Mark said:
Yeah Collina would be great in Arsenal v Man U, he's the kind of ref who should be refereeing these games not the kind of ones we have in the Premiership, like that idiot Bennet last time who just wanted Man U to win.
thanks god it just bennet not byron moreno... :shock:

Andrew

Olofski said:
Sol said:

I´ve always likek Jeff Winter and he still is my fav prem ref but last night he was out of shape!

Yeah, I've liked him since he gave us that penalty against Liverpool... and then he sent of "Sir" Alex... Is there anything he can't do right? ;)

zerofeel

yes let them come in n show what refereeing is all about..Collina is a world class ref who will not give a hoot if manure is the favourite british team and at least he will be neutral to both teams...no biased decisions to be content with anymore...

Graham Poll is overhyped n he appears to be more happy bein in the limelight than refereeing itself...Uriah RENNIE should be given more matches cos hes so underrated....n he hates MANURE! :p

beaney

i heard an interview with collina on talk sport i think it was a while ago, and this was the topic.

He seemed to think it could work, but as others here have suggested, the english game is very different to the game on the continent and it may take a while for them to adjust.

on that point, which games would they refferee to start with, while they are learning the english game.

I certainly think, long term, its a great idea.

It should help with certain decisions, and they also bring no biases with them about particular players, so do not have any pre-percieved ideas.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Collina is widely regarded as the best ref in the world.... (not just Italy)... he is not a bribe-taker... why do you think they chose him to ref the WC Finals? it would be a pleasure to have him in the EPL.... although, arent there age restrictions?

Guns and Arses

I don't like the way Collina refereed the '02 World Cup Final. My fav referee is Frisk. I like Nielsen too(remember Arsenal v Valencia? He sent off their captain but we still couldn't get the goal, but Nielsen's decisions are all good).

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould
Top Bottom