• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

countdown to transfer window closure

Jinn

Established Member
5.5 euros that is.

I don't see how we need him, tbh. I'd rather we get some kind of defensive cover so we can all sleep easy at night.

afrodizzy

Jinn said:
5.5 euros that is.

I don't see how we need him, tbh. I'd rather we get some kind of defensive cover so we can all sleep easy at night.

I agree we need adefensive cover from what I've read about Angulo he is a striker/cum midfielder & in my opinion we rich in that department.

johe

Angulo is very good however, one of the better players at Valencia in my opinion. I would prefer a right/center back like Ricardo Rocha or something, but if we could get that and Angulo as well I would be very happy.

Soler

Established Member
The only thing i can think of that we'd need him for is his experience in European competition with Valencia. Two CL finals, UEFA Cup final, Super Cup's - he's played in them all, as we know. But, we have so many players in his position ...

I wouldn't mind him coming, but not over a defender.

sanyasi

Seems very out-of-character for AW to announce that he's tracking someone. Given his track record, it's a little like waving a flag that says "Hey, here's a hot little prospect that will be the next big thing." If I was ManU, I'd buy anyone that got the Wenger seal of approval.

wenger probably knows this and says this about crap players so that they get signed up by chelsea/manyoo ;D

eddiej321

Angulo would be very nice for europe, but I would like to give Pennant some time this year. If we are going to sign a Midfielder or defender, it should be a youngster (like Navas) who we could play in a couple of games but mainly raise to help replace a Ljunberg/Bergkamp. THat being said, I would prefer Trabelsi and I would not be unhappy about Angulo.

Adam

Established Member
I am looking to sign a CB, and a RB in an ideal world. Justin Hoyte's marking and Lauren's speed frailties were exploited at Norwich, and perhaps Arsène will be tempted to push the Trabelsi deal through.

Tom Huddlestone at Derby, as i have mentioned in rumours - could fit the bill. Matt Dawson at forest would be an accomplished player to cover - and buying from Div one is relatively cheap.

As for RM? I can see why Arsène believes we need more European build up, and Angulo is a proven Champions League player - it is about adding some of what we have been missing in Europe to succeed there. He has been targetting weaknesses.

Arsène hasn't been stubborn with Wengerball - he has realised it needs Spanish and proven European pedigree influence. Angulo takes us away from being reliant on pure pace penetration and movement, and more into the realm of passing and playing at a slow, tactical tempo - and so we will have a great balance of the two i feel this season.

Gator

€5,500,000 is only about £3,700,000, so if all goes tits up, it won't be on the scale of Jeffers/Wright/Van Bronckhorst/Wiltord.

I think we need striker cover as well as defensive cover. For the first 2 or 3 games we had Henry, Reyes and Bergkamp all starting, with no cover on the bench or anything. Van Persie is the only other option, but he seems to be fairly low down on Wengers pecking order. Yes, we can move Ljungberg or Pires upfront, but ideally we don't want to have to resort to that. Plus, in Europe, for away ties, we will only have 2 strikers, or 3 if you include Van Persie (who has made 0 appearences so far). I think signing someone like Angulo who has bags of European experience, and is versatile, will do us good, whether he is any good or not, I really don't know, I've never seen him play.

As for defensive cover, I'd love for us to sign Trabelsi as a replacement for Lauren, and possibly a centre back as well. Personally, I don't see Hoyte as a centre back, he's a bit too lightweight, hes the ideal build for a full back really.

So, um...yeah.

Arsène Knows.

shaz

24 hours to go lads.... lets hope we see some signings tomorrow :mrgreen:

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Our attack would be complete if we clinch the Angulo signing, imo. He is versatile, creative, and has valuable European experience.

But £5.5 million is alot of money for us. If we do get Angulo, we probably won't be getting Trabelsi. This could mean Wenger has given a vote of confidence to Hoyte, Senderos, and Cygan.

Also, how much would this Huddleston character cost? I heard he is only 18, so would it really be worth it since we've got young defenders like Hoyte and Senderos already?

Adam

Established Member
With Reuters reporting that Angulo and Trabelsi are set to sign, and Soccernet quoting a Valencia director as saying Angulo 'only has to agree terms with Arsenal' - it appears we may well get a player in before the window closes.

Arsène's earlier comments a smokescreen?

You bet. ;D

But still, let's see.

n_henry

Scottish Lass said:
its not 5.5 million pounds its 5.5 million euro's :)

So is that like 3mil pounds? That is a good signing indeed. Heck, didn't RVP cost 3mil pounds? ;)

Getting very excited about Trabelsi (at last!) and Angulo. Let's hope it happens. :D

A

Anonymous

if it does happen then we can say we have the best depth squad in the prem ... with absolutely quality players in every position + backups ;D

Top Bottom