• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dani Ceballos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divided_Pie

Any scenario where Ceballos is the puzzle piece that gets Emery's tactics clicking and Arsenal in to the CL is a good one, even if he's only here for a season on loan. However, that is hardly a given.

Worst-case scenario here is that Ceballos is loaned with no option to buy, he starts most every important match with Xhaka and Torreira (limiting the minutes for players like Guendouzi, Willock, ESR, etc), he has a great season, injecting life in to our attack as well as in the press, becoming essentially the talisman for Emery, but we fail to sign a first-team CB, Mustafi and Sokratis again struggle mightily, Xhaka continuing to be a massive liability in front of them, and they bleed goals in key matches, again failing to secure CL qualification.

In that scenario, the club have finally built an identity but it's around a player who is going back to Madrid - the youngsters haven't developed, and they don't have the CL payout they would need to sign a replacement. Emery is fired, Arsenal are back to the drawing board and the horizon for CL football re-sets back to two years in the future.

Last edited:

Divided_Pie

It will be Xhaka/Ceballos and either Torreira/Guendouzi.
Xhaka next to Guendouzi is an abomination. Puts massive pressure on the defense. Guendouzi is better than Xhaka against the press but needs to play on the left to be able to scan the field on the half-turn while he protects the ball on his stronger foot. Both players need a DM next to them to offset their abysmal defensive awareness/positioning. Also, when you play them together, their strengths (vision, long-range passing) are redundant. This setup limits their strengths and multiplies their weaknesses.

In a midfield pairing, it has to be Xhaka/Guendouzi/Ceballos next to Torreira, or Xhaka/Guendouzi next to Ceballos against weaker teams. In a 3-man midfield it would have to be Torreira as deepest against teams of any quality.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Any scenario where Ceballos is the the puzzle piece that gets Emery's tactics clicking and Arsenal in to the CL is a good one, even if he's only here for a season on loan. However, that is hardly a given.

Worst-case scenario here is that Ceballos is loaned with no option to buy, he starts most every important match with Xhaka and Torreira (limiting the minutes for players like Guendouzi, Willock, ESR, etc), he has a great season, injecting life in to our attack as well as in the press, becoming essentially the talisman for Emery, but we fail to sign a first-team CB, Mustafi and Sokratis again struggle mightily, Xhaka continuing to be a massive liability in front of them, and they bleed goals in key matches, again failing to secure CL qualification.

In that scenario, the club have finally built an identity but it's around a player who is going back to Madrid - the youngsters haven't developed, and they don't have the CL payout they would need to sign a replacement. Emery is fired, Arsenal are back to the drawing board and the horizon for CL football re-sets back to two years in the future.
Wtf man...I’m a week off the anti-depressants

neimad

Haven't seen him play but looks a talent on YouTube videos,But who doesnt..We need an option to buy otherwise what's the point really.

Not sure why people are asking "what's the point?!"

We could sign a lesser player permanently. Maybe getting in Ceballos on loan isn't the permanent solution we want for centre midfield but if people think we can sort out all the positions we need in one window then they are sadly mistaken.

ASIF

Not sure why people are asking "what's the point?!"

We could sign a lesser player permanently. Maybe getting in Ceballos on loan isn't the permanent solution we want for centre midfield but if people think we can sort out all the positions we need in one window then they are sadly mistaken.
We are Arsenal and not Bolton wanderers or celta vigo who will just take a player on loan and nurture him then if he is any good Madrid call him back after a year.I know the mid field is real crap and people are happy with just the loan but a few years back just a loan would not be acceptable to us.Yes we are that desperate now.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We are Arsenal and not Bolton wanderers or celta vigo who will just take a player on loan and nurture him then if he is any good Madrid call him back after a year.I know the mid field is real crap and people are happy with just the loan but a few years back just a loan would not be acceptable to us.Yes we are that desperate now.
We can't fix everything this window. We want 2 CB LB RB WF we can't get them all with limited budget. And what's wrong having one of talented midfielders in Europe in your squad on loan?

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Yes that's exactly it. We are desperate and any quality is quality. It allows us time to identify a proper permanent signing.

ASIF

We can't fix everything this window. We want 2 CB LB RB WF we can't get them all with limited budget. And what's wrong having one of talented midfielders in Europe in your squad on loan?
Hmm I agree desperate times but I hope this is a one off and we dont make it a habit.

say yes

forum master baiter
I think he'll play an advanced role, basically the number 10 role but won't play like a traditional number 10. More like an 8 playing the 10 role, similar to Banega at Sevilla. Of course it's bonus for us that he's capable of playing deeper too.

Yep think this is correct. Excited from the first time I saw this link because it looks exactly like the type of profile that Emery wants from his third midfielder.

Hope we wangle an option clause, even if it’s on the high side.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Yep think this is correct. Excited from the first time I saw this link because it looks exactly like the type of profile that Emery wants from his third midfielder.

Can you elaborate on what you think Emery wants from that midfielder?

Raul will insert a option to buy clause in white letters when he comes back from vacation!

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I understand in the financial position we're in that him helping us to get CL might have to be good enough.

But it really would be a shame if he's fantastic and then we can't buy him.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I get that he could play closer to the forwards and its highly likely yes, but I would prefer him as part of the midfield two, playing as an 8, behind the number 10, whether that be Özil or Mkhitaryan.

Its critical that we get some ability to control the midfield back, add to that the ability to beat the opposition press to play the ball forward could once again unlock our ability to pin teams back. This time with more directness as we move the ball forward.

I'd like to see Ceballos next to Torreira with Özil ahead, giving us an opportunity to punish the opposition with the turnover ball.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
As said multiple times in the thread, it's a no brainer if it gets us back in the UCL. If we have some luck and we play our cards right we could be in pole position to sign him next summer too.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It is exactly that, a no brainer. Ideally you want an option to buy but if it isn't available you still take the deal.

Say last January he was available as just a loan and we got him (didn't know at that time Ramsey would get injured). Then he flourished near the end of the season, got us CL, either through the league or winning EL? Right now we would be in CL and an extra 50m to play with, either to buy a decent CM or buy him from Real.

Would people then complain about what the point was or that it made us look small time?

Divided_Pie

I get that he could play closer to the forwards and its highly likely yes, but I would prefer him as part of the midfield two, playing as an 8, behind the number 10, whether that be Özil or Mkhitaryan.

Its critical that we get some ability to control the midfield back, add to that the ability to beat the opposition press to play the ball forward could once again unlock our ability to pin teams back. This time with more directness as we move the ball forward.

I'd like to see Ceballos next to Torreira with Özil ahead, giving us an opportunity to punish the opposition with the turnover ball.
This. A thousand times this.

Everyone hates Özil, but it doesn't have to be him at 10 (or 10/8). That seems to be the driver behind people wanting Ceballos playing there: they see Özil as the problem that needs fixing. But that's not the fatal weakness of the club. Arsenal are stacked with players that could play effectively at AM: Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi, ESR, Nelson, etc. And yes, Ceballos would also fit well there.

But's the CM pair playing behind that is completely broken. It is here that we lack adequate personnel. It's here that will see us back in the EL or worse next season if the club don't fix the situation. Ceballos, at this point, is the best possible answer.

neimad

I like how this guys seems a bit of a prick. Had a few of these when the Invincibles were in full flow. Lads that have a bit of edge to them. The sooner we strengthen that soft underbelly that has epitomised us in recent years the better.

Impact

Established Member
Ceballos can play in a variety of roles for us. One of two interiors in a three, in the deepest of a midfield two or in the #10 role. The main point is he provides real quality wherever he plays. Emery rotates a lot and different opposition require different strategies. Ceballos gives us more possibilities. Would sign on loan even without an option.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
How true are the rumors of him having issues with his agent and is looking to move on? It would be smart of him to not speak on future business moves when he's currently angling to get a new agent after this season (if this is even true). That could be why there is just loan talks for right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom