• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Daniel Ek

Is The KroenkeOut 🛩️ going to work?

• Yes

Votes: 44 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 69 39.2%
  • Don’t know Jeff

Votes: 63 35.8%

• Total voters

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Anyone I don't agree with is racist.
So you didn't see the video of him referring to a theater full of black people as 'Planet of the Apes'? It's not about agreeing with him. I don't care if he platforms weirdos on his show. When you display clear racism, that I do disagree with. Now go play somewhere simpleton.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Do you guys think Thierry feels stupid having done the whole boycotting social media to take a stand against racism and then throwing his lot in with Ek who is apparently perfectly fine with Joe Rogan's racism? What a shame.

Thierry was just doing all he could, to try and get Arteta sacked and become Arsenal manager himself, I think.

Align yourself with a supporter of racism, to bring down a Dicteta!

#GreaterGood

Ivan the Gooner

So you didn't see the video of him referring to a theater full of black people as 'Planet of the Apes'? It's not about agreeing with him. I don't care if he platforms weirdos on his show. When you display clear racism, that I do disagree with. Now go play somewhere simpleton.
I'm not talking about Rogen, I'm talking about Ek. Ek is no racist. Not even close.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I still think that these companies and individuals need to pay more tax though. Corporation tax and dividend loop holes are a scandal really - at least footballers pay proper taxes.

I was with you up until this part and have to disagree, in theory yes they should pay more tax however, I would prefer it they just donated it too charity instead.

The way tax money gets spent is shocking, ok some is great but do I want to see governments receiving more money? Not right now no, they prove time and time again that they are reckless with it.

Its constantly getting carved up like its a popularity gift instead of where its needed, look at all the PPE bullshit the UK went through.

I believe there is a group billionaires can sign up too which distributes there wealth for good, I'm a big supporter of this over the governments getting there hands on it.

I have no idea how much someone like Dangote pays in tax in Nigeria or his companies corporation tax but this is kind of my point, billionaires could prop up countries when questions need to be asked where the money is going in the first place.

America has a massive homeless problem but spends how much on its war machine? If there was an agreements billionaire tax went straight to the problem great, but you just know the white house dinners or claimed expenses will just get a bump instead.

Ivan the Gooner

Oh, and I forgot to add, go burn in hell, you zippered-up gimp.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Rogan... what a guy. Making history right now. He's in a win-win situation no matter how you look at it. Spotify has to pay him off if they cancel him and he's getting more and more cult following in the process.

Also, let's be honest if he had the CEO of Pfitzer on his podcast you'd never have people paid to watch his podcast pulling stuff out of context to create new mass hysteria headlines.

Now you have guys like Neil Young, the ultimate Amazon shiller who has no problem with their business ethics or didn't bat an eyelid to support independent artists getting breadcrumbs from Spotify, suddenly getting all ballistic because he disagrees with the opinion of a talk show host. The world's gone completely and utterly bonkers.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I was with you up until this part and have to disagree, in theory yes they should pay more tax however, I would prefer it they just donated it too charity instead.

The way tax money gets spent is shocking, ok some is great but do I want to see governments receiving more money? Not right now no, they prove time and time again that they are reckless with it.

Its constantly getting carved up like its a popularity gift instead of where its needed, look at all the PPE bullshit the UK went through.

I believe there is a group billionaires can sign up too which distributes there wealth for good, I'm a big supporter of this over the governments getting there hands on it.

I have no idea how much someone like Dangote pays in tax in Nigeria or his companies corporation tax but this is kind of my point, billionaires could prop up countries when questions need to be asked where the money is going in the first place.

America has a massive homeless problem but spends how much on its war machine? If there was an agreements billionaire tax went straight to the problem great, but you just know the white house dinners or claimed expenses will just get a bump instead.

People have a problem with tax because they view it as "The Man" taking money from the little guy. No system is perfect and the system here in Britain is definitely no exception. There are abuses, money spent on the wrong priorities, waste etc.

But take a step back and whenever you see someone arguing for lower taxes it's always the rich not the poor. Taxes are the most effective way - probably the only way - to redistribute wealth. Money gets spent on infrastructure, public services, benefits and support for the less well off. If you live in a democracy then you can participate in the process of deciding how the money gets spent by using your vote and your voice. But the most important thing is that the taxes are taken equitably so that there are no loopholes for the super rich (imo).

And if I'm passionate about this, it's because I work in local government so I can see the good as well as the bad.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
But take a step back and whenever you see someone arguing for lower taxes it's always the rich not the poor. Taxes are the most effective way - probably the only way - to redistribute wealth.
It is not a straight forward rich/poor divide when it comes to arguing for taxes. There is one set of people who prefer free markets and less taxes. Another group which argue for higher taxes. But one common thing I have noticed about people arguing for "hight taxes for rich" is that they always consider rich as someone who earns more money than them. Someone who makes 50K a year thinks anyone who earns above 100K a year should be taxed more and 100K earner thinks anyone who earns 200K a year should be taxed more.

Even if we have same % tax for everyone, rich will obviously end up paying more taxes because that is how % works. As things stand, most countries have tax slabs and rich people are already paying higher % of taxes. There is a point of taxation after which, any thing higher will stop people's willingness to make businesses bigger. There is a reason why countries like Sweden and France which tax the **** out of people have much higher unemployment rate compared to UK or US.

As far as effective way of spending money. Government is possibly the least effective organisation that can spend the money effectively. Governments allocate money based on what gets them votes not based on what is effective for the country. Bill Gates for example has some people working for him who actually do the math to find out the best way to invest his money. For example, if you show him a village with a less equipped hospital where people are dying, he wouldn't give you money for the hospital. He would have people figure out what is causing diseases to spread in the first place. Most probably, he will spend money on sanitisation of water, building more clean toilets etc. He doesn't fall for emotional traps, even if you show pictures of people dying in hospital in front of his face. But unfortunately governments hardly make such choices.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It is not a straight forward rich/poor divide when it comes to arguing for taxes. There is one set of people who prefer free markets and less taxes. Another group which argue for higher taxes. But one common thing I have noticed about people arguing for "hight taxes for rich" is that they always consider rich as someone who earns more money than them. Someone who makes 50K a year thinks anyone who earns above 100K a year should be taxed more and 100K earner thinks anyone who earns 200K a year should be taxed more.

Even if we have same % tax for everyone, rich will obviously end up paying more taxes because that is how % works. As things stand, most countries have tax slabs and rich people are already paying higher % of taxes. There is a point of taxation after which, any thing higher will stop people's willingness to make businesses bigger. There is a reason why countries like Sweden and France which tax the **** out of people have much higher unemployment rate compared to UK or US.

As far as effective way of spending money. Government is possibly the least effective organisation that can spend the money effectively. Governments allocate money based on what gets them votes not based on what is effective for the country. Bill Gates for example has some people working for him who actually do the math to find out the best way to invest his money. For example, if you show him a village with a less equipped hospital where people are dying, he wouldn't give you money for the hospital. He would have people figure out what is causing diseases to spread in the first place. Most probably, he will spend money on sanitisation of water, building more clean toilets etc. He doesn't fall for emotional traps, even if you show pictures of people dying in hospital in front of his face. But unfortunately governments hardly make such choices.

Don't disagree with most of what you say. Tax and philosophies on tax are very definitely political territory and get split along the lines of those allegiances. There are good arguments for both sides in certain circumstances, although the corporation tax argument usually seems to go along the lines of "Well if we lower our tax rate then the businesses will leave" which is just another way of saying that the international system is broken...

... Very much disagree that billionaire businessmen will spend your money "more efficiently" than government though - governments are so beaurocratic and inefficient because of all the scrutiny and the need to be transparent and fair. The PPE scandal that you referred to above would be 10x worse without all the procurement regulations and other hoops that governments have to jump through. Musk literally put a Twitter poll up asking what good causes he should spend the next £billion on 🤦

Anyway, this probably isn't that relevant to an Arsenal Mania forum, but I reckon we'd have a brilliant debate at a pub on this after a few pints!

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
People have a problem with tax because they view it as "The Man" taking money from the little guy. No system is perfect and the system here in Britain is definitely no exception. There are abuses, money spent on the wrong priorities, waste etc.

But take a step back and whenever you see someone arguing for lower taxes it's always the rich not the poor. Taxes are the most effective way - probably the only way - to redistribute wealth. Money gets spent on infrastructure, public services, benefits and support for the less well off. If you live in a democracy then you can participate in the process of deciding how the money gets spent by using your vote and your voice. But the most important thing is that the taxes are taken equitably so that there are no loopholes for the super rich (imo).

And if I'm passionate about this, it's because I work in local government so I can see the good as well as the bad.

Have just seen more contracts dished out to a certain company for PPE who have NEVER had anything to do with PPE in there history.

Said company dont pay tax however make donations to the government.

I am not calling for lower taxes, not at all. Just stating that certain billionaires donate large portions of wealth to charities that they are certain will get to the people who need it, at present I prefer to see large donations like this go to charities instead of the government.

Top Bottom