• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Danny Welbeck: Dan Out Ere

Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I thought he did well tbh, just wished he saw Lacazette there near the end.

GunnerUK

His somebody we keep if you ask me.

Sure we can call for a better striker but who’ll be happy to warm the bench with a bit part role. Just look at Giroud he wasn’t happy to do it and was also a good squad player

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
People calling for him to be sold in the summer but he's always a handy type to have as a squad player. If the figures are right then I would definitely get him tied down for another couple of years.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

His somebody we keep if you ask me.

Sure we can call for a better striker but who’ll be happy to warm the bench with a bit part role. Just look at Giroud he wasn’t happy to do it and was also a good squad player

I agree with the sentiment but......as a 27 year old, turning 28 in a few weeks, I'd honestly be looking to move him on to get another youngster in there to fill that role.

I just wish Welbeck were 2-3 years younger, and then there would be an upshot to look forward to as well.

I'm thinking someone like Nketiah (well I guess maybe not anymore as he isn't getting minutes) or Reiss Nelson could be that kind of player.

Furious.

The one with a period. Fake Furious v1
I love Welbinho, he has so much heart and positive attitude, seems like such a lovely guy. A valuable squad player. However, Laca's goal against Liverpool quite starkly highlights why Welbz is not a top striker! Laca standing behind and running around Wele, who gets completely bypassed by the play! Puts into perspective how much faster a top striker is in thought and action!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I love Welbinho, he has so much heart and positive attitude, seems like such a lovely guy. A valuable squad player. However, Laca's goal against Liverpool quite starkly highlights why Welbz is not a top striker! Laca standing behind and running around Wele, who gets completely bypassed by the play! Puts into perspective how much faster a top striker is in thought and action!
Welbeck actually served his part well in that goal. Occupy the other centreback (Van Dijk) that could not come over to provide cover for Gomez because of him. What did you want, both of them to run for the same ball? Welbeck did exactly what was needed. Tactics 101 brought to you by Emery.

Furious.

Welbeck actually served his part well in that goal. Occupy the other centreback (Van Dijk) that could not come over to provide cover for Gomez because of him. What did you want, both of them to run for the same ball? Welbeck did exactly what was needed. Tactics 101 brought to you by Emery.

Welbz adapted to the situation and adjusted well for sure. I don't want anything from Welbeck, it's up to him what he does and it doesn't bother me either way. He's far superior at football than I am at anything - hence his considerable success.

However, I can't agree with your overall spin on that play. I feel you could benefit from watching the goal again one more time, because it reads like you've tried to imply that they didn't go for the same ball, when in fact that is exactly what Welbeck did do initially. Laca was behind him, and I believe Welbz didn't know what Laca was doing. You can literally see Welbz make the exact same arm gesture to Iwobi that Laca makes AFTER Laca and then the same run that Laca makes, AFTER Laca.

I think it is a clear example of why Laca is a more effective striker who anticipates the play and acts faster than Welbz. It's there to see in the play, and Laca is the one who ends up with a great goal, not Welbeck. When I say that Welbz is not a top striker, I'm just saying that at the level of a Laca, who is a great striker at the level he plays, he is substantially behind. This is why Welbz is a good squad player for a top 4 team, not a starter. By the standards of a man on the street, of course Welbz is elite. I was quite careful to compliment him in my initial post.

If you want to disagree with any of that then that's fine by me, but please let's stick to the facts about the runs that were made by the two players, and the timing of those runs.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Welbz adapted to the situation and adjusted well for sure. I don't want anything from Welbeck, it's up to him what he does and it doesn't bother me either way. He's far superior at football than I am at anything - hence his considerable success.

However, I can't agree with your overall spin on that play. I feel you could benefit from watching the goal again one more time, because it reads like you've tried to imply that they didn't go for the same ball, when in fact that is exactly what Welbeck did do initially. Laca was behind him, and I believe Welbz didn't know what Laca was doing. You can literally see Welbz make the exact same arm gesture to Iwobi that Laca makes AFTER Laca and then the same run that Laca makes, AFTER Laca.

I think it is a clear example of why Laca is a more effective striker who anticipates the play and acts faster than Welbz. It's there to see in the play, and Laca is the one who ends up with a great goal, not Welbeck. When I say that Welbz is not a top striker, I'm just saying that at the level of a Laca, who is a great striker at the level he plays, he is substantially behind. This is why Welbz is a good squad player for a top 4 team, not a starter. By the standards of a man on the street, of course Welbz is elite. I was quite careful to compliment him in my initial post.

If you want to disagree with any of that then that's fine by me, but please let's stick to the facts about the runs that were made by the two players, and the timing of those runs.
I looked at it again and you are right, welbeck did the exact same as Lacazette but half a second later haha. Guess that’s the difference between good and elite like you said. Agree on Welbeck’s role, he’s great if you use him as a squad player and an impact player. Should never be your #1.

Furious.

I looked at it again and you are right, welbeck did the exact same as Lacazette but half a second later haha. Guess that’s the difference between good and elite like you said. Agree on Welbeck’s role, he’s great if you use him as a squad player and an impact player. Should never be your #1.

A lot of it is probably down to the backwards movement that Welbeck makes initially, which puts his weight going backwards. Meanwhile Laca's always moving forward and when the time comes for him to accelerate into the space, Laca's momentum is going in the right direction and he reacts ahead of everyone to get there first. Welbeck is on his heels at the crucial moment. Just shows these fine margins between good players and the very top ones (although, even if Welbz had made the run Laca made and got there first, I don't believe he has the quality of finishing to make him likely to convert the chance).

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Quite a few links of him going to Palace in Jan for £10m. I think its clear we wont be giving him a new contract but at the moment he's proving quite useful. I guess if he is offered 3 years by another club, he'd take it and we would let him.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Quite a few links of him going to Palace in Jan for £10m. I think its clear we wont be giving him a new contract but at the moment he's proving quite useful. I guess if he is offered 3 years by another club, he'd take it and we would let him.

The price is quite low for an English international in his prime years and I totally fail to see who gets his minutes until May and then who replaces him mid-term even for double that amount. If he wants to be a starter let him go for free in the summer, a couple of injuries up front in spring and we're fecked.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The price is quite low for an English international in his prime years and I totally fail to see who gets his minutes until May and then who replaces him mid-term even for double that amount. If he wants to be a starter let him go for free in the summer, a couple of injuries up front in spring and we're fecked.

£10m with 6 months left for a back up player is not so bad. Anyway, my point was as stated, if he gets offered a contact by another club I cant see us standing in his way.

Tomb Bombadil

But £10m is still £10m. That's a lot of money. Just because the transfer sums have gone up the roof you don't have to throw money away. With half a year contract that's a decent sum. Otherwise we would be looking for £20m+.

For me either we sell him in January or give him a new contract. He's a really relaible squadplayer but on the other hand he will not be a starter for us and would take game time from the likes of Nelson and Nketiah with a new deal. So I would tend to let him go for £10m.

Of course it's a risk if Auba and Lacazette getting injured. But they didn't play that many matches so far without CL. And we have enough alternatives for the wings.

Jae

I'd be happy with him leaving if Nelson gets his place in the squad. Otherwise I think we should try and keep him.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I would take £10 m and £100 k a week off the wage bill. The estimates of our finances show we really need to focus on reducing wages. I have no problem paying our best players good money, for example Özil and Auba.

What has us in a bit of a mess is that we are paying a fortune to Welbeck, Mkhi, Cech and Ramsey and they are bit part players at best, it should be the priority to get rid of those 4 as soon as possible.

We are paying £17 m more in wages than in 2017-18 and by my calculation those 4 players are on £26.5 m a year!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I would take £10 m and £100 k a week off the wage bill. The estimates of our finances show we really need to focus on reducing wages. I have no problem paying our best players good money, for example Özil and Auba.

What has us in a bit of a mess is that we are paying a fortune to Welbeck, Mkhi, Cech and Ramsey and they are bit part players at best, it should be the priority to get rid of those 4 as soon as possible.

We are paying £17 m more in wages than in 2017-18 and by my calculation those 4 players are on £26.5 m a year!
While I agree with this I would say (not to my preference) Ramsey isn't a bit part player. We're talking about a lad who starts almost every game.

Jae

While I agree with this I would say (not to my preference) Ramsey isn't a bit part player. We're talking about a lad who starts almost every game.

I think in an ideal world they would be buddy. Think that's an issue with lack of depth/quality in our squad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom