• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Danny Welbeck: Dan Out Ere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaza

Great squad player to have. Big game player too. Won't sell him unless it's necessary. Apparently Pochettino is a fan.

DasBootist

Great squad player to have. Big game player too. Won't sell him unless it's necessary. Apparently Pochettino is a fan.
Exactly. Sure, his finishing is **** and his control is a bit iffy at times, but his overall cobtribution is of value. I was against keeping him prior to last season, where it would be difficult to argue he performed well enough to stay a member of the squad.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
It's underwhelming that he didn't return back earlier to blend with the new structure since he didn't play at all. Loftus-Cheek played last night despite having the same leave duration.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Training still means you're on the job though and everyone is entitled to a few weeks off whatever work you do.

I do agree he probably should've been a bit more eager to return early and get involved, though.

It is not like they work 40hours a week!

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
You are right, they work more than 40 hours. 8 hours training a day and match days a couple hours

I sincerely doubt they put in 8 hours a day during season

More like half of that with maybe an hour added for treatment or gym and/or some video

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I know footballers are immensely privileged, but people seem to have a really skewed understanding of their work. Welbeck didn't really play at the World Cup, so it's assumed he should basically cut his holiday short and get back to work. Just cos he wasn't playing doesn't mean he wasn't at work.

The daily schedule of a footballer might not be particularly rigorous, but they still have to report for training. They can't just do what they want, even if they're not playing. Footballers deserve a proper holiday at the end of the season, so they can do what they want. Go hiking, go to the Maldives, whatever it may be.

It might not suit us fans, but there should be less football in between seasons and more free time for players. And for the love of God, people really need to stop thinking that the only form of 'proper work' for a footballer is if they're on the pitch.

Why is RLC returning early seen as a positive? He shouldn't have. He should have had a proper holiday like everyone else. Even more so for Lukaku who's returning a week early apparently. There's no need for it.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Sorry to stick my nose in but this is a typical workload. Only adding my input because I know.

Depends on the coach but pre-season is a heavier workload so it could be a gym session of 40-60 minutes, and two double pitch based sessions for anything between 45 minutes to 90 minutes per session. So pre-season you are typically looking at around an average 3-4 hours a day of training max with give or take 45-60 minutes before and after training for meals, preparing for training, stretching etc.

During the season the actual training time and workload reduces drastically so a player would be expected to report for training at around 9:30-9:45am am and training starts with prehab/activation exercises at around 10:30am, around an 11am start on the pitch and then by 12:15-12:30pm you are done. A bit of work in the gym afterwards depending on the program but by about 2pm-2:30pm latest most players are out of the door and done for the day.

Pre season is definitely hard but once the season starts the goal of the sport science team and medical team is actually to keep the workload as light as possible so getting the most bang for your buck in the shortest amount of time. I would definitely agree that the mental aspect can be tough in terms of psychologically with the pressure and spotlight at the top level and dealing with your own performance and form, but during the season whilst players give 100% during training depending on the intensity and 100% during games, they aren't exposed to the same sort of work a construction worker/builder might be who is working a 9-5 5 x week. Taking the salary out of the equation, having done both (at a lower level playing wise and not construction but working shifts in a bar) I know which one I found easier and enjoyed more!

Good points but I do think the mindset that 'football isn't a real job' stems from jealousy of what they earn. I'm sure there's a lot of sacrifices that need to be made if you want to continue to stay at the top level earning the big dough.

The idea that the likes of welbeck enjoy a holiday on international tournament duty is another funny one. I wouldn't fancy the idea of my holiday as training, followed by being cooped up with 22 other blokes for most of the day :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Good points but I do think the mindset that 'football isn't a real job' stems from jealousy of what they earn. I'm sure there's a lot of sacrifices that need to be made if you want to continue to stay at the top level earning the big dough.

The idea that the likes of welbeck enjoy a holiday on international tournament duty is another funny one. I wouldn't fancy the idea of my holiday as training, followed by being cooped up with 22 other blokes for most of the day :lol:

The phrase "gilded cage" comes to mind. It's a matter of freedom. Everyone should be allowed to just go off and do what they want for a good few weeks every year. No matter how luxurious their work is, it's still highly disciplined and restrictive.

The problem is that we don't really see footballers as rounded human beings. We see them solely as athletes and nothing more, even when they're not at work.

IslingtonBornandbred

Yep I agree. At no point did I disagree with anything or say anything about Welbeck not deserving a holiday or anything, I just listed the typical training week and workload for reference because it was being discussed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom