• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 118,511
Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He was leading the D, commanding, communicating and even tried to get the stadium going when we needed them, great signing. Can forgive the 1-1, took an awfull deflection from Sokratis too.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
He was good generally but also think he was at fault for Burnley’s goal. Was sitting too deep and left Barnes onside.

We looked super prone whenever Burnley played high crosses, but have to say the goal was also super lucky, that deflection of Ceballos made it all happen.

Malky

Established Member
Really impressive debut, only overshadowed by Ceballos. Looks like an experienced, vocal leader that our defense has been needing. He can be a bit suspect defensively at times, but on the ball he's absolutely brilliant for a CB, don't think there's anyone in the league better than him.
Think Luiz and Sokratis should be our first choice partnership this season, unless Holding can force his way in.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Really impressive debut, only overshadowed by Ceballos. Looks like an experienced, vocal leader that our defense has been needing. He can be a bit suspect defensively at times, but on the ball he's absolutely brilliant for a CB, don't think there's anyone in the league better than him.
Think Luiz and Sokratis should be our first choice partnership this season, unless Holding can force his way in.

Well said, but they're ~32 years old, I'm sure you don't suggest we have two elderly persons with walking sticks starting in EPL?

The goal wasn't offside because of him, but otherwise just the kind of performance I expected. Good debut. Still amazed how Chelsea sold him to us.

Malky

Established Member
Well said, but they're ~32 years old, I'm sure you don't suggest we have two elderly persons with walking sticks starting in EPL?

The goal wasn't offside because of him, but otherwise just the kind of performance I expected. Good debut. Still amazed how Chelsea sold him to us.
:lol::lol: Once we get Bellerin and Tierney into the side it'll help with the combined average age of our starting back 4.

I'm more surprised Chelsea sold him to us for only £8M. Considering the quoted prices of guys like Dunk, Ake etc, Luiz is an absolute bargain.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

:lol::lol: Once we get Bellerin and Tierney into the side it'll help with the combined average age of our starting back 4.

I'm more surprised Chelsea sold him to us for only £8M. Considering the quoted prices of guys like Dunk, Ake etc, Luiz is an absolute bargain.

You really couldn't get better stop-gap signing for CB, it's a dream signing in a way. Because he knows the league in and out, he can perform straightaway.

Also seems like top athlete, at CB you don't get old that fast. I have liked him as a person in recent years, earlier not much at all, cannot explain it.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You really couldn't get better stop-gap signing for CB, it's a dream signing in a way. Because he knows the league in and out, he can perform straightaway.

Also seems like top athlete, at CB you don't get old that fast. I have liked him as a person in recent years, earlier not much at all, cannot explain it.
He played 36 Pl games last season, he looks very fit and also mentally right, hungry and eager.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Should bin Sokratis for Chambers so we can play out from the back even more comfortably. Don't think there would be a better set of ball playing cb in the league than those two even if their actually defending capability might be suspect.

Should bin Sokratis for Chambers so we can play out from the back even more comfortably. Don't think there would be a better set of ball playing cb in the league than those two even if their actually defending capability might be suspect.

That is a nice idea but might be tricky because you have a manager who want to defend a 1-0 lead by sitting deep from minute 20 against Burnley at home...

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Can't really explain why but he's one of my favourite Arsenal players

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
There was a communication problem with the burnley goal, he was playing barnes on, so guendo should have got goalside of him as he was covering old man nacho. All that will come with time.

Great debut, didn't get bullied and won quite a few duels

Preacher

Always Crying
Sokratis on Luiz: "I've known him for a lot of years. He speaks some Greek & is a very good guy. I'm happy we took a player like him with experience. When I was in Dortmund I played with Hummels, who has the same style. It was a very good partnership & its very good [with Luiz]"
"When [David] came we spoke a lot that we will have moments when we struggle, but we have to struggle all together. Of course he is a player that has experience because he played for big teams. We need characters & players like him
"

Indeed, as far as I can remember Sokratis&Hummels partnership was very good.

ASIF

The problem with chambers replacing Sokratis is that he is not fit to lace Sokratis boots.

Tomb Bombadil

I wasn't convinced in the begining, but very good first game. And really important for Emery is his skill at the ball. Really important in the modern game.

I can't remember when we had a good playing center back. Vermaelen was okish, not as good as Luiz. Could be our best CB in this era ever? Others come to mind?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

First things first: yes bad performance

But...

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a foul given for a pull where the player doesn’t fall. Shouldn’t have done it but slightly unlucky.

Secondly, he got done by Salah but you know what...Salah is a world class player. Pepe completely did Robertson too, he just missed after his show of skill.

I’m not trying to lead the David Luiz fan club or anything but I could just feel an over the top response coming. Defenders will get dribbled past by elite attackers. The penalty was his mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom