• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 121,098
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I woke up at 2am with the ufc blaring and two pizzas in a box next to me... Felt fvked but drank loads of water and recovered to watch the rest of it until 4am. Then I watched the highlights again :drool: We watched the game in Frank Lampard’s dads pub in Wanstead. We were hoping he’d be there to see us crush his son but I read he was too nervous to be there :drool:

Yeah get that h20 down always helps, hope that pizza sorted you some more.

Nothing better than seeing a dad breakdown after his son disappoints him.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Brilliant today. I'd washed my hands of him after his Etihad calamities, but boy has he turned it around.

A lot of us were guilty of that. He’s definitely capable of ridiculously bad errors but so is ****ing Sergio Ramos.

End of the day, there’s a reason why he’s continually bought by top clubs and trusted by top managers. He’s capable of world class performances on his day.

Other than the clever back heel to Pulisic, Giroud hardly got a kick. Luiz dealt with him consummately. He’s earned that year extension now- that’s for sure.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This guy has done what he's done all season,been inconsistent but at times shown why he's played for top teams

We got him on a decent day yesterday. Hope he's just a bit part player and morale booster next season

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Nah don’t think so, he’s been trash all season, can’t play in a 2 etc. We’ve gone 3 at the back to protect him.

Arsenal are carrying him if anything.

He was in form before COVID. Was our best CB. Definitely haven’t carried him and he’s come up trumps when it’s mattered.

Shame we didn’t get to see more of Mari though, he looks interesting.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don’t think anyone can say that Luiz hasn’t had a good overall impact. He’s a leader on the pitch and an important asset at the training ground.
In the final, only him out of all our CBs would makes us confident enough when battling aerial duels against Giroud. His ability to make long passes is also a great asset.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Think he's been our best CB this season.

Top 5 overall for sure

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Our best CB this season but that isn't saying much. He's either top class or diabolical, there's no in-between. He's certainly more comfortable in a back 3, which may be important next season as it will help bed Saliba and potentially Gabriel in.

On paper Saliba-Luiz-Gabriel is really good imo.

He also seems an immense character to have in the dressing room as well. In hindsight that one year extension was a good thing imo.

moloso

5/10 - clearly not good or consistent enough and 5 pens or whatever it was is laughable.

Some really good performances towards the back end of the season but make no mistake, this is the level we'll get next year. No better and probably no worse.

Might seem a harsh write up, I don't think it was a bad signing considering the outlay and expectations but this is the David Luiz we've laughed at for the last 10 years. Decent footballer, good character, pretty poor defender.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Nah don’t think so, he’s been trash all season, can’t play in a 2 etc. We’ve gone 3 at the back to protect him.

Arsenal are carrying him if anything.
If it wasn’t him, I think we might not have the FA cup with us. Other than Luiz, we have no CB who is tall and physical enough to deal with giroud.

The formation is more to match the opponent attacking numbers. We do press Chelsea quite high up the pitch. They will go long to find Giroud as a solution. If Luiz follows Giroud to fight for the first ball. Mount and Pulisic can get the second ball and attack our back line immediately. If we have 2 other central defenders, it matches their attacking numbers.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

He's been our best CB this season. Granted, he's made mistakes but which of our CB hasn't?

But what what he brings to the table is something none of our other CBs can.

Bar the city game he's been quite great since the PL restart. He's arguably the best ball playing CB in the league if not in Europe

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

David Luiz’s game by numbers vs. Manchester City:

100% aerial duels won
100% tackles won
69% pass accuracy
11 clearances
4 interceptions
1 through ball

Thought I'll drop this here

It really was a Van Dijk level performance there. This whole 4 minutes video is worth a watch (especially for Luiz haters, because as we all know it's easy to skip the good performances and only remember the calamities from players one doesn't like.)

Best moments are at 0.48 min & 2.56 min. At 0.48 he plays Auba through from the middle but Auba chooses to shoot eyes shut towards the goalie (not usual).

At 2.56 Mustafi plays himself out in front of the goal and Luiz makes a great reactionary block with his leg so keeper is safe from needing to do anything. Just look at his face when he stretches after the Mustafi fail.

Against Chelsea his performance was almost similar level. Basically he along with Auba got Arsenal the FA Cup win this time, but of course this is a team sport.

As from the start I was behind this transfer. We know he can bring those Mustafi-moments at times, but with our defence he was and still is a reinforcement and sometimes even world class as in the City match. (not the league match :rofl:).

Like someone said, it's really something mentally that he can bring himself up from that kind of performance where he cost 2 goals singlehandedly (let's see how Varane recovers). Very good player to have in the dressing room and helped us get Willian for free from our rivals.

drippin

What a great response from my favourite Arsenal fan who drools over rival teams non-stop and downplays Arsenal's own players!

This was a great video someone else posted here, but good watch for everyone.

Next year we hopefully have Gabriel along with Saliba to learn from/along Luiz. Good extension with a wage cut, hopefully we won't see those calamities next season. The back three might still be a must so that helps.

GDeep™

League is very weak
What a great response from my favourite Arsenal fan who drools over rival teams non-stop and downplays Arsenal's own players!

This was a great video someone else posted here, but good watch for everyone.

Next year we hopefully have Gabriel along with Saliba to learn from/along Luiz. Good extension with a wage cut, hopefully we won't see those calamities next season. The back three might still be a must so that helps.

I only downplay the poor players, you know the ones who have put us in 8th place.

But you’re better than me because you and your friends are always positive and always look on the bright side. Good for you.

drippin

I only downplay the poor players, you know the ones who have put us in 8th place.

But you’re better than me because you and your friends are always positive and always look on the bright side. Good for you.

I'm not better than you as everyone has different strenghts. I sometimes look too positively and have been wrong here.

It's just that even after these City & Chelsea performances you said you can't give him praise and he is just decent, eventhough after Auba I think he was our best player in those FA Cup matches to get Arsenal the trophy once again.

I acknowledge his very big mistakes, but overall he did well as we didn't have the money to buy top level young CB last year, so it was a good buy imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom