• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: Calamity Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Is it hipster to suggest that Luiz is having a decent season?

I think we can improve on him, but he's been our best cb (him or Gabriel) this season.
I think he’s much better alongside Pablo Mari than Gabriel or Holding, but he’s still got that moment of madness in him and fouls unnecessarily.

Tom349

Thought he was poor yesterday. Allowed Burnley forwards to receive the ball too often under little to no pressure and don't think he broke into a sprint once. Took an eternity on the ball and often overlooked the easy option between the lines for the hollywood ball over the top.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Thought he was poor yesterday. Allowed Burnley forwards to receive the ball too often under little to no pressure and don't think he broke into a sprint once. Took an eternity on the ball and often overlooked the easy option between the lines for the hollywood ball over the top.
His ball hogging doesn’t get spoken about enough. He thinks he’s a playmaker at the back, in the last few attacks yesterday he took it upon himself to create like a ****ing idiot. Constantly takes four or five touches instead of moving it on which slows it all down.

Can’t stand him.

Melquiades

He's not terrible but right now I think he's the 4th best of our 4 regular CBs, and yet seems to be #1 in the pecking order. Should be getting phased out ahead of leaving in the summer, but instead his minutes are getting ramped up and you can feel a dumb re-signing coming on.

ThePortugueseGunner

I have a running gag with my dad where we just put the transmission on pause whenever David Luiz messes up, just to talk about how bad he is. I know it may sound absurd for a guy who never stepped on a professional field to say something like this, but I tell you, this guy has the best "actual quality / career path" I've ever seen in a player. Sure, some awful guys end up in a good team, but they never actually enjoy the minutes David does in every team.

So, he played for my national bitter rival Benfica, and even though I hate them, they're still a big Portuguese club, with two European Cups and 30 something national titles. He played for Chelsea not once, but twice, PSG, and now Arsenal. Also, he has almost 60 caps for the Brazilian National Team.

There's no way he has ever had the quality to enjoy this career path. Everywhere he has been, he screws up. He has qualities, of course, but at the level he's played in for his entire career, the mistakes he does every game, his tactical indiscipline, among other factors should've relegated him to a lower tier of European football.

I swear to God, I remember Jorge Jesus playing him as a left-back on Benfica sometimes (I guess that was not David's fault), and he would get destroyed by mediocre players.

Still, I think his magnum opus was being nutmegged twice by Suarez, both of them leading to goals.
If Arsenal wants to contend for the Premier League title, there is no room for players like David Luiz in the team. You don't see this kind of nonsense in other teams, and I think the role of the supporters is to tell it as it is. Players have to be cherished, and I'd never booh a player for making a mistake. Here, discussing it with a cool head... that's what I have to say about him. Should have never bought him.

Iceman10

Established Member
Is it hipster to suggest that Luiz is having a decent season?

I think we can improve on him, but he's been our best cb (him or Gabriel) this season.

The best argument for Luiz that I’ve seen is his experience and dark arts stuff has value against teams where their forwards bring the game physically to our CB’s and he is decent against aerial threats also. Caricature wise this is saying he matches up well against Andy Carroll types and away days Oop North similar to going to Stoke Rugby Club in the past, current day probably rainy day away trips to the Midlands. There is some truth to this all and it is where Luiz has done a job this season, but that’s all for specific opponents and match-ups, not all the games he is playing ahead of our other choices, who are more the future for this club.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So he gets a free pass because we won.

We'll always be below Chelsea as long as keep taking guys like Cech, Luiz and Willian.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I think error aside he was solid. I love his knack of nipping in front of the attacker to head balls away or make an interception. He's excellent at bringing the ball out of defence too, the guy can drop the shoulder and dribble into midfield no problem. He almost picked out Auba with a peach of a pass in the second half, few defenders are capable of hitting those.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think error aside he was solid. I love his knack of nipping in front of the attacker to head balls away or make an interception. He's excellent at bringing the ball out of defence too, the guy can drop the shoulder and dribble into midfield no problem. He almost picked out Auba with a peach of a pass in the second half, few defenders are capable of hitting those.

Would you renew him for another year then? That’s where a lot of disagreement is in this thread I think although few are bold enough to outright say go ahead and renew. He has some strengths you describe, but at the same tine between them I think Gabriel and Mari have some of those qualities also.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Would you renew him for another year then? That’s where a lot of disagreement is in this thread I think although few are bold enough to outright say go ahead and renew. He has some strengths you describe, but at the same tine between them I think Gabriel and Mari have some of those qualities also.

Yeah I’m really on the fence with this. Wouldn’t be gutted to see him extended but like you say, Gabriel posseses similar qualities and I reckon he’ll be better next season too. Tough one.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Him and Gabriel are looking really good together, maybe something to build on.

Wengysaurus

Credit where its due he looked totally in command today. Even in the last 15 minutes when everyone was losing their heads he looked in control

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I don't know but I'm in for keeping him another year but as backup apart from few errors this season he been absolutely solid and leader.

ThePortugueseGunner

Oh David, what a game today! I still want to see you out of here by the end of the season, but if you played like this until the end of it, I would actually remember you fondly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom