David Neres

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by yousif_arsenal, Apr 11, 2019.

1. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Well-Known Member

Is that true though?

I know this is a couple of months old now but only Leicester gave more Premiership minutes to players 22 and under than Unai.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47016796

2. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think PL teams are generally pretty dire in terms of giving young players a chance. It's basically just Iwobi and Guendouzi (and AMN) carrying that stat though. I think all three have made more minutes than warranted though.

There were definitely opportunities to involve youth prospects at RB, Wing, CM throughout the season. Even at ST I think more minutes could have been given to Nketiah. I think it's a shame, especially long term. Though I understand the short term pressure on Emery.

TornadoTed likes this.
  3. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

Odds stacked against more than one making it here. Spending big money on a winger could open up a position for one of them on the other side.

4. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

Those numbers aren't helping your argument mate.

5. Miracetti

Miracetti Member

Last season he was Ajax top scorer and second in terms of assists. This season i think they would sell him but the deal was not completed. They bring another experient winger and started to play Neres in other positions and he struggled and was benched. He played even as CM or CF. This why his numbers are lower now.

His position is in the RW. He started 9 games in the RW this season with 5 goals and 2 assists. Also he tends to score in almost all big game, what is something rare among young players.

Some people here are talking about hype. I dont think he is hyped. He was Ajax top scorer last season, was scoring in their big games, was elected the best player of the league in the first half of the season, produced some Ronaldinho-esque moments but you would never find any thread about him in football sites, meanwhile everybody was excited about Justin Kluivert that is a clear inferior player. If one thing i believe David Neres is not good at selling himself. Something similar happens with Sadio Mane, for example. Players that are rated lower than others that are clearly inferior footballers.

That said i dont think he is made to play in the PL. He is lightweight and too risk in his style. Probably would lose the ball all the time in the first months and angry everybody.

Slartibartfast, isop and Artisan like this.
  6. Football Manager

Football Manager Broken Record

Hleb was lightweight but he was the god of dribbling.

BenTal likes this.
  7. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

He's going to be a nightmare when he ends up in a care home.

8. Wilshero

Wilshero Active Member

He fits the description of a young, tricky winger who scores and assists. Imo the most interesting winger we've been linked with so far.

Toby Andrl and Football Manager like this.
  9. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

Given how much exposure he's had this season (and there'll hopefully be more on the way vs the Spuds) I dont see us signing him

10. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One

Called up for the Copa America squad, good oportunity to see more of him.

Gooner416 likes this.