• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
The Jury said:
Knew it wouldnt be long :lol:

When you consider Woj's biggest problem is coming for the odd silly ball, and how easy that is to iron, out (every other aspect of his game is top draw), it's funny how easy people give up, or gave up on him.

He's still our No.1, and I expect him to stop being a d!ck, reclaim his place and remain No.1 for years to come.

That's quite a statement. What exactly do you consider 'top draw' to be? One of the best in the world/league? His kicking for example is also very flaky.

Admittedly I haven't been able to watch us as much as I'd like lately but Ospina hasn't done much wrong from what I have seen. Very good shot stopping and distribution, doesn't do anything silly. That said, I can see him making a blunder under a high ball at some stage.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
What's all this bollocks about his "consistent great shot stopping ability". I've only seen like two examples of that, and even so, a premier league goalkeeper is expected to be a good shot stopper. If you want to see a quality shot stopper watch Kaylor Navas, he looks like he's in a completely different level.He's been comfortable with catching balls and his distribution is fairly neat, but the rest isn't inspiring confidence.

I honestly can't believe Ospina or Szczesny are seen as heading in the right direction for this club. We're supposed to be one of the best clubs in the world yet Handanovic, Lloris, De Gea, Courtois, Cech, Neuer, Casillas, Sirigu, Lopez, Bravo, Buffon etc etc are all comfortably better than our options. Szczesny and Ospina are pretty good keepers but it's ****ing frustrating witnessing some of the keepers in the list winning at least 10+ points every season by their brilliance.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
CurryFlavoured said:
The Jury said:
Knew it wouldnt be long :lol:

When you consider Woj's biggest problem is coming for the odd silly ball, and how easy that is to iron, out (every other aspect of his game is top draw), it's funny how easy people give up, or gave up on him.

He's still our No.1, and I expect him to stop being a d!ck, reclaim his place and remain No.1 for years to come.

That's quite a statement. What exactly do you consider 'top draw' to be? One of the best in the world/league? His kicking for example is also very flaky.

Admittedly I haven't been able to watch us as much as I'd like lately but Ospina hasn't done much wrong from what I have seen. Very good shot stopping and distribution, doesn't do anything silly. That said, I can see him making a blunder under a high ball at some stage.

Woj's ability to make great saves, shot handling (sticky gloves) and taking high balls from corners are top notch. The three most important aspects of goal keeping imo.

You're right, though, his distribution with his hands is not up there with the best to put it mildly, but his kicking has come on a fair bit. He can easily improve on those two and no doubt will.

BobP

Memri Fan
Scez has talent no doubt and the temperament to play as he doesn't seem like on who can be easily flustered, he's just a ****ing idiot.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Eduardo_da_Silva said:
Came to this topic expecting Ospina to get the praise he deserved today(one of few who deserved his salary today) and was shocked by some of the comments.

Same here tbf.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Saw a few comments on Redcafe saying how great the 'keeping has been in the game. Agree that he could have pushed some of his saves away better, but with the first goal he was at full stretch and did well to get his fingertips to it, no chance of directing the ball at all.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I wouldn't be bringing Szcz back just yet, I like what I'm seeing from Ospina. I'd consider Szcz top 5-10 in the league for GKs, he has potential but makes too many errors right now.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Was not a fan of the way he palms the ball into dangerous areas though that has to be said.

Surprised at his height he looks really small to me.

Saying that, I already prefer him much more to Scez. It was a very difficult game.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Do you think he's making few too many rebounds back in danger area as well as poor positioning?

Last night v. Leicester he had few moments when he was going for the ball and was left in no man's land.

Few cases that I recall from last night:
On first half when he tried to claim the ball from corner and fell on his arse. When Mahrez shot across his legs, he was not covering the near post, so a better shot from Mahrez could have got in.

On second half when he parried the ball back in the box and was confused whether to chase the ball or go back, so only Per's goal-line headed clearance saved him. I also think he was lucky that Kramaric tried a **** lob which Ospina easily caught, otherwise he would be beaten.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't feel comfortable with him in goal, he looks dodgy as **** whenever people have a pop at goal.

He'll cost us soon.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
From what I've seen he's miles better than Szczesny.

But I've always said Szczesny is way below the standard of keeper that a club like you guys should have.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
THunter said:
I don't feel comfortable with him in goal, he looks dodgy as **** whenever people have a pop at goal.

He'll cost us soon.

So far, so ok, is what I'd say.

I don't like the way he wants reach across himself to get both hands to shots when beating them away, when you can easily push them wide and have more maneuverability using one. That says nerves, to me. Im afraid when he comes for crosses too, because I'm used to seeing Woj look so dominant due to his height. But he's getting by despite lacking the inches.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Had a bad game against Leister. Looked very very shaky. The likes of Stoke and West Ham will look to rough him up. He needs to quickly get his composure together.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Had a bad game against Leicester. Looked very very shaky. The likes of Stoke and West Ham will look to rough him up. He needs to quickly get his composure together.

pikey2000

I don't see what people rate so highly in Szcesney to be honest. I don't think he is top drawer in any particular area, he's competent in almost all area's which makes him seem a solid if unspectacular option but he isn't top drawer - just my opinion.

Also Szcesney may be taller but he regularly makes a mess of aerial balls into the box due to his bad decision making so his extra height doesn't really help us.

Personally I think they are both capable of mistakes, we have seen snippets of how Ospina could get it wrong in future and god knows we have hard evidence of Szcesneys mistakes but the difference for me is that Ospina appears to be a more natural shot stopper and I can see him making more saves that Szcesney wouldn't be able to pull off such as the double save against Sp**s - so this gives him the edge imo.

De Gea is still a bit of a flapper on aerial balls and had a pretty shaky start to his UTD career but now he has calmed down his shot stopping is starting to shine through and he is widely regarded as one of, if not the best in the league

Patience people

a_fourteen

Established Member
^ Szczesny is physically very able to handle the premier league. He's strong has long arms and controls his box well. His weakness is distribution and he has a wild streak about him where he dashes out to sweep the ball. He's also quite immature. However he's young and if he puts his head down there is no reason he couldn't become one of the worlds best keepers.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Can't see what he has done wrong. Lots of saves yes they were palmed out but that's where the defence come into play, also most shots are palmed out wide and not back into the danger zone. I like him.

Proof

Established Member
albakos said:
Do you think he's making few too many rebounds back in danger area as well as poor positioning ?
Absolutely! He was at fault for Kane's equaliser and he also parries way too many shots which could have been easily caught by a better goalkeeper.

Ospina is listed as 6 feet, but I struggle to believe it. He looks to me like he is 5ft10. At his height you have to be a ****ing amazing goalkeeper with elite positioning and fantastic footwork to make it at a top Premier League club.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I think Szczesny will be aback in goal soon. Ospina doesn't have the size for me.

All keepers at this level are very good to great shot stoppers, but as we see at Liverpool with Mignolet, it's the other attributes, like coming for crosses, handling, distribution, judgment decisions that separate the great from the good. Ospina, while a secure looking GK doesn't look elite level to me, not yet anyway. Szczesny looks to have a higher ceiling.

However, Ospina will need a little time to adjust to the new environment and this run of games will allow him to do just that.

Szczesny will be back down the stretch imo.

beck

Established Member
a_fourteen said:
Had a bad game against Leister. Looked very very shaky. The likes of Stoke and West Ham will look to rough him up. He needs to quickly get his composure together.
Ospina has played against stoke
Arsenal 3 stoke 0

Top Bottom