• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
blaze_of_glory said:
Top save % in the EPL according to this. 84%

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/status/573195012126556161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/stat ... 2126556161</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's crazy good. I remember a season when Almunia had a 50% save ratio.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
blaze_of_glory said:

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/status/573195012126556161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/stat ... 2126556161</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hahaha!

These damn stats are going to be the death of us on this forum.

Iceman10

Established Member
:lol: Yep, I think Blaze is taking the pi** a bit, esp. for a goalkeeper stats are hard to separate the best from the good, particularly with a small dataset in the case of Ospina due to his injury earlier in the season.

redanddread

THunter said:
Weird attempt for that goal, think Szczesny would have got a glove on it even if it went in.

These keepers...

Very. Looked rooted to his line as if he wasn't sure which direction the ball was going until late.

Iceman10

Established Member
Possibly the beachball effect, we saw that with quite a few of Bale's shots during his last season with Spuds.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I felt he was unlucky, might have been slightly unsighted. Austin hit it like a peach as well.

blaze_of_glory

Iceman10 said:
:lol: Yep, I think Blaze is taking the pi** a bit, esp. for a goalkeeper stats are hard to separate the best from the good, particularly with a small dataset in the case of Ospina due to his injury earlier in the season.

Well that stat does have a minimum number of minutes played attached to it, so I think there is some value there. Not the whole picture of course, there are always other factors to consider.

That said, I am going on a bit of a stat overload just because of the conversation on here the last couple of days. :mrgreen:

I do always find it interesting how the numbers compare to people's perception of things, my own perception included. And people's reactions to the numbers are even more interesting

Iceman10

Established Member
Yeah, just pulling your leg Blaze on the continuation of the "value of stats" back and forths over the last few days :lol:

There have been some good points brought up in the overall discussion of stats but my two cents on this is that statistical analysis will never be reliable by itself unless there is an algorithm that takes everything together to lead to a scientific rating as opposed to ratings we see on sites such as whoscored. When that happens the switch over to automated analysis vs. human eye analysis will be more or less complete :wink:

Specifically on goalkeepers, you know what I mean in that quality of chances that the opposition had that were saved, and more specifically how technically difficult individual saves were, has to come into it. The larger the dataset the less this perhaps affects the % saved stat. Minimum games as a threshold helps, but his body of work for Arsenal is still a lot less than most goalkeepers he is being compared with.

blaze_of_glory

Yup I would agree with all that. They are able to offer valuable insight but have to be done properly, both in what is being collected and how they are analyzed. Otherwise they can be more than misleading.

As for Ospina, he has clearly done well so far but yeah, it is absolutely still early days.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
blaze_of_glory said:

I like Ospina but I really don't like these stats.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
The Jury said:
We should sign Pantilimon as our No.2 IMO.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but he's ****ing huge! I remember when he played at Villa Park, think it was for Citeh at the time, I walked past him on my way out the stadium... I'm 6 ft 2 and he dwarfed me, I'd have to jump to high five him! :lol:.

Santi would have to scale him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He's not that good though, Pantilimon, has shaky tendencies.

The real question is, should we have done more to keep Fabianski?

Going even further back, not signing Lloris is a killer now. I bet Lloris even sits back now, head in hands, "you guys could have signed me ffs".

Iceman10

Established Member
If Mourinho/Chelsea are ok with selling us Cech this summer then problem solved. It definitely appears that he will be available this summer, not on the cheap though. The problem then would be knock on impact for the rest of the GK roster. Big *if*.

trunks206

Established Member
I think he's a bit iffy with crosses and commanding his area. Neither keeper instill a lot of confidence with me tbh.

Great job pushing the flick header over though.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
A lot of crosses were judged right it was just his own teammate who headed the ball just before he got to it with no opponent in close vicinity. So it makes him look stranded while in actual fact there was no real danger. See it happening often with him. Guess it's a matter of calling for it early, but not as big an issue for me as some see it as.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think that's right TLF, communication and understanding within the defensive unit really is key, and we had Gabriel in there who has to settle in himself.

redanddread

trunks206 said:
I think he's a bit iffy with crosses and commanding his area. Neither keeper instill a lot of confidence with me tbh.

Great job pushing the flick header over though.

Agree with this. However, he's proved an agile keeper and made a few great saves today. Is he that much better than Fabianski is now? Maybe his decision making is. He seems pretty calm.

If Cech does become available, Wenger should snap him up though. Looks like Wojech might be a goner & not a Gooner.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I'm really quite happy how he's done, solid. We haven't had this stability in goal for a long time now.

Like a lot of others have said in this forum if a better goal keeper is avaliable then we should go for him but it's not a position we need to activly address now.

TriniGunner

If Mourinho/Chelsea are ok with selling us Cech this summer then problem solved. It definitely appears that he will be available this summer, not on the cheap though. The problem then would be knock on impact for the rest of the GK roster. Big *if*.

There aren't enough candles to light for Mourinho to sell us Cech. Just can't see it happening given the relationship between the two managers.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom