• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
He'd be absolutely sensational if he wasn't so short. He parries too much but he's had to handle a ridiculous amount of shots today, I think he deserves to be cut some slack.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Mixed bag. Will take more convincing. better than Woj from what Ive see so far? No.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Parries shots a bit too much for my liking, but I thought he was good today. Not convinced enough that he's the man to overtake Szczesny over time, but we'll see on that front.

Crooner

Not good enough today. The difference between he and Lloris was that the Sp**s keeper palmed his shots outside the posts, Ospina caused a lot of trouble with his shot stopping habits today and he had a couple of brainfarts which could've been costly.

We'll see Woj in on Tuesday anyway, wonder who'll start at the weekend though.

infineon

Established Member
Tough gig for him today so deserves the benefit of the doubt. Sp**s were all over us and shots were coming at him from all directions. Worse situation for your keeper to be in when he has to be 120% alert literally from start to end.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not convinced, he's better with his feet than Szczesny but neither are what you want in your keeper.

Cech should be a target in the summer.

Eduardo_da_Silva

Came to this topic expecting Ospina to get the praise he deserved today(one of few who deserved his salary today) and was shocked by some of thr comments.

He was our best player out there, he saved numerous shots and made one stupid mistake when he decided to go out when he shouldnt have. He made some great saves, had 5 acurate long balls in the first half alone and was the sole reason Sp**s didnt embarras us today.

To short? Doesnt give you confidence? I watched a game in a pub with a friend of mine who is a goalkeeping coach and most of them were surprised saying that we finally have a good keeper.

I also heard a fact that last season only buffon had better shot saved percentage than him in all of the top leagues. Considering the fact he did it in Nice, I say that is quite an achievement.

And for those saying he is a dwarf, he is 1,83 ffs. Casillas is 1,85, Navas is 1,84, Barthez 1,83, Beto is 1,80, Coupet was 1,81.

Height is important but not crucial. For me he is miles ahead of Woj, and if Lloris made all the saves David did, we would rave about him all day long.

For once give our player a credit where credit is due...

Iceman10

Established Member
Eduardo_da_Silva said:
Came to this topic expecting Ospina to get the praise he deserved today(one of few who deserved his salary today) and was shocked by some of thr comments.

He was our best player out there, he saved numerous shots and made one stupid mistake when he decided to go out when he shouldnt have. He made some great saves, had 5 acurate long balls in the first half alone and was the sole reason Sp**s didnt embarras us today.

To short? Doesnt give you confidence? I watched a game in a pub with a friend of mine who is a goalkeeping coach and most of them were surprised saying that we finally have a good keeper.

I also heard a fact that last season only buffon had better shot saved percentage than him in all of the top leagues. Considering the fact he did it in Nice, I say that is quite an achievement.

And for those saying he is a dwarf, he is 1,83 ffs. Casillas is 1,85, Navas is 1,84, Barthez 1,83, Beto is 1,80, Coupet was 1,81.

Height is important but not crucial. For me he is miles ahead of Woj, and if Lloris made all the saves David did, we would rave about him all day long.

Agree with a lot of this. Bringing up of height at this point is a bit curious. His height was known when we signed him, and I don't see the connection to goals conceded today. There is no problem if his positives more than make up for his height, and as you say Eduardo there are other good goalkeepers out there with comparable height.

Some have talked about parries but there were a couple of uncharacteristic kicks as well which suggested there was something at else at play for this one, be it his first NLD (not used to the atmosphere) and/or that knock he had early on that he could have been stubborn about in not wanting to give his spot back to Scz.

KAB

He almost costs us more goals with his weak push of ball to in front of goal, which at one time caused our defenders struggled to cleared it away as Kane and Erikssen were in the box. If Sp**s were clinical enough in the game, we might conceded more.
Overall still weak, a lot of things needs to be learnt. He need to be stronger as a GK.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Iceman10 said:
Eduardo_da_Silva said:

Agree with a lot of this. Bringing up of height at this point is a bit curious. His height was known when we signed him, and I don't see the connection to goals conceded today. There is no problem if his positives more than make up for his height, and as you say Eduardo there are other good goalkeepers out there with comparable height.

Some have talked about parries but there were a couple of uncharacteristic kicks as well which suggested there was something at else at play for this one, be it his first NLD (not used to the atmosphere) and/or that knock he had early on that he could have been stubborn about in not wanting to give his spot back to Scz.

I think he was injured , it wasn't an impact injury either , it occured when he launched off the ground for the first save . People around here are obsessed with size , bigger seems to mean better.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Only saw the 1st half but he was great yesterday. Still unconvinced under the high ball, he often needs two bites at the cherry to gather. Very good shot stopping and distribution so far, nothing too fancy.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Other than push the ball back out in dangerous areas, I'm not sure he done a lot wrong, couple of iffy kicks too maybe. Made 2/3 excellent saves.

First North London Derby too, I'm sure nothing at Nice could prepare him for such a game, and Sp**s were on the front foot throughout, maybe he got rattled a little.

Not an expert on GKs, but I have seen enough to suggest he's the real deal.

eye4goal

Established Member
Ospina has no big strengths, but no big weaknesses either(unlike Szczesney). I'd keep him in goal until the summer but he looks more of a solid stop-gap for me rather than the answer long term.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unless you're signing the very best, I think it'll be difficult to improve on Ospina.

Wenger was asked about Cech and he said he already has 3 great keepers.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Will obviously give him more game time but we could potentially end up with two good players, both of whom aren't great, just like we do in quite a few positions on the pitch. That, in a nutshell, is what is keeping us from going back to the glory days.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Wasn't impressed by him at all yesterday. All the saves he made bar 1 or 2 at best, were saves you'd expect a premier league goalkeeper to make. His saves looked better because he's smaller and has to be more acrobatic than Szczesny. I feel like we've become accustomed to such **** keeping for 10 years that these levels are acceptable.

Definitely not a chance he should be first choice here, and it looks like Szczesny is going to be in goal for us for a long long time. Both aren't good enough.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Knew it wouldnt be long :lol:

When you consider Woj's biggest problem is coming for the odd silly ball, and how easy that is to iron, out (every other aspect of his game is top draw), it's funny how easy people give up, or gave up on him.

He's still our No.1, and I expect him to stop being a d!ck, reclaim his place and remain No.1 for years to come.

Latest posts

Top Bottom