• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

KAB

Conceded goal, wrong judgement to head the ball out, still not really convincing. Still a lot of works need to be done.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I thought up until the last 10 minutes he was fantastic. He didn't have an awful lot to do but what he did have to do he did efficiently. I still feel Szczesny will reclaim no. 1 spot but Ospina is proving adequate backup.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Reckon you stick until he drops clangers. You give him a chance to grow into the position, taking into consideration the English game is new to him and there is adapting for him to do.

Give him every chance, when/if he starts to hurt us, then take him out. You learn or gain nothing by dumping him now.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I agree GDeep. I didn't see the game yesterday but I saw the goal we conceded, he hasn't always been convincing but he's been good so far and hasn't made any big errors. He's still a newbie and has started well considering, Szcz started the season fairly poorly so I wouldn't be that quick to bring him back in.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Yes, agreed. He might still be coming to terms and he should be given longer. He's looked much better for Colombia from what Ive seen, so there's that to look forward to, hopefully. Doesn't always work like that with GK'ers though. Weird lot they are.

La Sagna

Established Member
Think hes bang average, we need Shez back in goal.

His kicking is very inaccurate and I dread to think what happens when we play an aerial dominant team like West Ham (Shez was MOTM against them on Boxing Day)

Don't know how he didn't save Monaco's third, or Leicester's conolation, and should have done much better with Sp**s equaliser and also Clyne's 40 yard shot in September in the Carling Cup

At the very top level height definitely does come into play and arguably some of the goals he conceded above are due to his size.

Mastadon

Established Member
Very poor for Monaco's 3rd really should have saved that. He's only had 5-6 games in the squad surely he will get a longer run to prove himself this being a new league/country and all. I haven't been very impressed by him so far but he deserves a fair run in the team.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I'd keep him in for a bit longer, I think people on here are too quick to look for excuses to drop him. Truth be told he's done well and made few errors, Monaco's 3rd was the first that directly led to a goal. Maybe I'd be more inclined to bring back Szcz if he hadn't started the season so average.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yeah, people have been looking to drop him ever since he became first choice ignoring we had an excellent spell of conceding very few goals before the Sp**s game with him in goal.

Could have done better for Monaco's 3rd goal? I think that's incredibly harsh, not a droppable offence anyways.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
4 Clean sheets in 7 games for Ospina makes for impressive reading (Szczesny has 3 in 17).

Proof

Established Member
Despite those 4 clean sheets, Ospina is still not good enough to be a starter for a top Premier League club. He is too damn short, rarely catches the ball and gives away too many rebounds.

berbatov.gif

ScotVieira

Established Member
Proof said:
Despite those 4 clean sheets, Ospina is still not good enough to be a starter for a top Premier League club. He is too damn short, rarely catches the ball and gives away too many rebounds.
That's why he makes me nervous. He doesn't seem to catch comfortably...he fumbles a lot of catches into rebounds.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Here's my 2 cents - since day 1 I haven't been convinced, even when we signed him and people were raving about him in the WC I wasn't a big fan. I like my keepers to be tall and commanding and he's neither, once I see a keeper more inclined to punch the ball I get very nervous. With all that said, I'm happy with what he's done so far. He doesn't always look convincing but he's got the job done, consistently made good saves and hasn't made any howlers yet. He's also new to the league and still young. Maybe I'd be more critical if we didn't have a horrendous history of keepers and Szcz hadn't started the season poorly, but right now he's a 7/10 keeper who's been consistent and that's enough for me until he starts making howlers or Szcz has a blinder when given the chance.

pikey2000

I think people have selective memories at times.

I see people saying Ospina doesnt always win aerial duals on corners and crosses and I see people saying he spills the ball too much......

newsflash, Szcesney despite all of his extra height and frame size was far from perfect when claiming crosses, i would hardly call him a keeper who commands his area on corners, we have spent years conceding from set pieces, if he was this all conquering area commanding keeper wouldnt he have claimed more of those clusterfucks we have seen over the years????

Also he is prone to mindfarts of the highest order such as trying to over play passes played back to him and kicking it down the centre of a pitch to an oncoming forward, or playing sweeper keeper and mistiming coming off his line and either getting sent off / ending up way out of position

Sure Ospina fumbles the ball on occasion (nowhere near as much as people make out) and he doesnt have the height to claim every aerial ball into the box (but he does claim his share) but he is capable of pulling out top drawer saves that Szcesney isn't imo and he is capable for this reason of winning / saving you a game where Szcesney isn't.

He's hasn't even completed half a season for us and is still finding his feet from a few injuries - he gets my nod until he messes up majorly on more than one occassion. God knows Szcesney, Fabianski, and the whole host of other ****e keepers before him had plenty of chances!

KAB

The goal conceded against QPR was savable, indeed. Anyway, just give him more time.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Weird attempt for that goal, think Szczesny would have got a glove on it even if it went in.

These keepers...

blaze_of_glory

Top save % in the EPL according to this. 84%

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/status/573195012126556161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/STATS_Football/stat ... 2126556161</a>

Top Bottom