• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: King David

Malky

Established Member
You can reiterate this point all you want, but Ramsdale just isn't good enough. He made some world class saves, but also cost us many times with soft goals. And then there's his concentration, he himself said so that it's a problem to stay focused for 90 minutes.

Raya isn't world class either though. And not blonde.
Ramsdale in a nutshell was last season - had a great game in our draw against Pool then followed it up with back to back poor performances against West Ham and an absolute, ****show, calamity against Southampton.
Making the odd worldie means nothing when you’re that inconsistent.
Some of this fanbase are still desperately clinging to Ramsdales purple patch in his first few months here.
You take away the soft goals he’s conceded and you’ve still got a clown who’s admitted, on camera, that he can’t concentrate for 90mins, he also didn’t like the pressure of a title fight last season and a guy, while playing in his first game after being dropped (against Brentford) while the ball was in his box he was more concerned with turning his back on play to give some stick to the Brentford fans. That is 3 very big red flags!
Raya isn’t perfect either, but I’m not sure who we’d go for at this stage if we were to replace him.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Raya isn’t perfect either, but I’m not sure who we’d go for at this stage if we were to replace him.
Raya won't be replaced for next season. Would be too expensive, too many areas to improve in the squad. Ball playing sweeper keepers don't grow on trees.

Ramsdale will be sold next summer to pay for Raya. Then give Raya chance to show what he is made of next season. In summer 2025 Maignan has one year left in contract, if Raya doesn't become solid. And there might be other options available at that point.

I think Raya has performed quite well recently. It's obvious how important his skill set is for Arteta's tactics.

drippin

Came to mind how people had a meltdown having two great goalkeepers with the Raya loan, which meant it doesn't even affect FFP much this season. And Ramsdale can be sold later for good money.

Now both Pope and Alisson from "top teams" have and will be injured for months this season. How horrible that the Arsenal management wanted to play it safe, and also in the case that if Raya doesn't perform like expected, there is another keeper to compete.

In hindsight it hasn't happened to Arsenal this season, but you can't plan on things by hindsight. :lol: People said that goalkeepers don't get injured.. yeah right. Even Ramsdale had to play with a broken finger in the earlier season.

freddy_v

Ramsdale in a nutshell was last season - had a great game in our draw against Pool then followed it up with back to back poor performances against West Ham and an absolute, ****show, calamity against Southampton.
Making the odd worldie means nothing when you’re that inconsistent.
Some of this fanbase are still desperately clinging to Ramsdales purple patch in his first few months here.
You take away the soft goals he’s conceded and you’ve still got a clown who’s admitted, on camera, that he can’t concentrate for 90mins, he also didn’t like the pressure of a title fight last season and a guy, while playing in his first game after being dropped (against Brentford) while the ball was in his box he was more concerned with turning his back on play to give some stick to the Brentford fans. That is 3 very big red flags!

Absolutely didn't have good games against following Liverpool last season, but should have been bailed out by Saka, who missed the penalty to take the win against West Ham. Calamity against Southampton meant giving away 0-1, so his team mates didn't exactly do him any favors by offering up 2 more.

So how are Raya stronger? Luck, being bailed out by the team and costing us only in cup games (so far)?

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Most clean sheets in the league despite playing lesser games than other starters!

Though most of the credit should go to the defence as well!

Malky

Established Member
Raya won't be replaced for next season. Would be too expensive, too many areas to improve in the squad. Ball playing sweeper keepers don't grow on trees.

Ramsdale will be sold next summer to pay for Raya. Then give Raya chance to show what he is made of next season. In summer 2025 Maignan has one year left in contract, if Raya doesn't become solid. And there might be other options available at that point.

I think Raya has performed quite well recently. It's obvious how important his skill set is for Arteta's tactics.
That's basically what I mean, I can't see him being replaced as theres no options to replace him with. People can mention guys like Magnian, Kobel, etc, who are excellent keepers by the way, however, I don't think they're good enough with their feet for Arteta. Afterall that's the main reason we signed Raya, he's a very good keeper, but he's excellent with his feet.
Basically can't see a potential upgrade for next season unless Alisson demands to leave Liverpool in the summer at a cut price deal, but that said he's 32 at the start of next season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It's funny that I still want teams to test Raya to see where we at. So far most goals he conceded either top class finish or his first few months errors. Maybe next few weeks he gonna be tested more when we face competent attack

That save from the Sheffield offside was top class tho lol.

drippin

It's funny that I still want teams to test Raya to see where we at. So far most goals he conceded either top class finish or his first few months errors. Maybe next few weeks he gonna be tested more when we face competent attack

That save from the Sheffield offside was top class tho lol.
He has had a couple 1vs1's saved in recent times at least, which is a good sign, especially as counter-attacks are likely ways for opposition to score.

quattro

Raya probably wouldn't have saved those shots from Toney and Collins. But probably he wouldn't have needed to because we would have controlled the opportunities in this game the same way we have been doing against these lower-ranked teams since the start of the year.

Henry boi

B
Raya probably wouldn't have saved those shots from Toney and Collins. But probably he wouldn't have needed to because we would have controlled the opportunities in this game the same way we have been doing against these lower-ranked teams since the start of the year.
bro those saves were basic, stop hyping up those saves please

quattro

Bbro those saves were basic, stop hyping up those saves please
i'm not hyping it. the point was if we were playing to our standard, it's unlikely we would have even faced shots like that from a PL also ran. we didn't play to our standard yesterday precisely because Raya was not playing.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Every goalkeeper in the league would save that header. It was straight at him. Even the commentator said Ramsdale would have been really disappointed if he let that in

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Every goalkeeper in the league would save that header. It was straight at him. Even the commentator said Ramsdale would have been really disappointed if he let that in

Yeah people loves saves like that because they're eye catching but the shot couldn't have been more central relative to Ramsdales position.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hein or do what I do in FM. Get a homegrown keeper as backup. Surely a backup keeper is not difficult to find
I'd go with one of Okonkwo or Ejeheri over Hein tbh. I like Ejeheri the most. Better passer than the others and still good at stopping shots and crosses. Hein is a good shot stopper but not much else.

Don't think a backup will be that difficult but they still have to be able to maintain a base standard in some areas (particularly in possession).

Top Bottom