• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: No Raya Sunshine

shoot for the top

Same as Bellerin, deserved it the season before so they gave him it the next year.
The mental gymnastics man....
Happy Lebron James GIF by NBA

King87

Kai's having the time of my life

The club have been pursuing Raya for a while and I’m pretty sure Arteta still trusts Inaki Cana’s judgement 😭 this was always going to happen.
Inaki Cana need to fck away from this club honestly. GK situation been shiite since he joined. Finally we have a pretty good team but a shocking gk. Always something holding this club back ffs

Let's play Aubamawang

I do feel bad for Ramsdale. Yes, he did commit his fair share of howlers, but he kept us in a lot of games. I haven't seen a significant improvement in distribution since Raya came in, and shot-stopping has gotten worse. Bringing him in was a bad idea and he's done nothing to prove otherwise.

There's only two reasons we haven't conceded more goals: better control of games to restrict chances and poor finishing when they get them. Neither of which is thanks to Raya.

However, that interview with Wrighty where he said he can't focus for a full 90-minutes was deeply troubling. He may want to do something about that if he wants his place back, as that is probably the root cause of his mistakes.

Malky

Established Member
the idea of playing Raya at home and Ramsdale away is never going to work, it would cause a bigger mess than we're in! For example, Raya has a poor game, following week we're away so Ramsdale starts and has a MOTM game, how do you justify dropping him to go back to Raya?
Arteta has made his bed here, Raya is his number one keeper now. Just got to hope he discovers his Brentford form very quickly.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

the idea of playing Raya at home and Ramsdale away is never going to work, it would cause a bigger mess than we're in! For example, Raya has a poor game, following week we're away so Ramsdale starts and has a MOTM game, how do you justify dropping him to go back to Raya?
Arteta has made his bed here, Raya is his number one keeper now. Just got to hope he discovers his Brentford form very quickly.

No serious club would rotate like that. Pathetic suggestion from The Athletic.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

@jones people are finally opening their eyes up about Ederson. Vicario looks a lot better than him.
Were you meant to @ me? Been saying for a while that Ederson is an average shot stopper, maybe even slightly below average.

Also shows that Raya doesn’t actually have to improve in terms of saving shots, what Arteta really cares about is his goalkeeper being an extra outfielder. Soon as Ramsdale stopped doing that he was out.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Were you meant to @ me? Been saying for a while that Ederson is an average shot stopper, maybe even slightly below average.

Also shows that Raya doesn’t actually have to improve in terms of saving shots, what Arteta really cares about is his goalkeeper being an extra outfielder. Soon as Ramsdale stopped doing that he was out.

You’re right, you did call Ederson out about being an average shot stopper. Regarding Raya/Ramsdale, I think it’s was quite obvious what Teta was after the moment he got rid of Leno who based off the stats is a better shot stopper than Raya and Ramsdale. The stats aren’t a good look at all:

Looking at the statistics, Raya has started ten Premier League games this season and has a -1.4 post-shot xG (expected goals based on how likely the goalkeeper is to save the shot) compared to Ramsdale’s -1.7 post-shot xG from his four starts.

The distribution of the on-loan Brentford goalkeeper was part of the reason he was brought to the club. He has a 78.4 per cent pass completion rate compared to Ramsdale’s 74.8 per cent but Raya launches the ball (passes over 40 yards) more often than Ramdale and finds his man at a significantly better rate.

Raya goes long 12.3 times a game and finds an Arsenal shirt 42.3 per cent of the time, while Ramsdale goes long 9 times a game but only completes the past 28.9 per cent of the time.

Regardless of their distribution, I still think both aren’t good enough for where we’re at currently but I’d feel more at ease picking between the two if we had genuine elite quality in our first XI like Liverpool had when they were playing Karius. As long as we’re not dismantling teams and winning by a 1 goal advantage, I feel either of them will cost us down the line especially in the CL.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You can't rotate goalkeepers on a home and away basis. That's just crazy 🤣

You can go with an element of rotation with goalkeepers dependant on form / competitions but not something as arbitrary as home / away matches.

If Ramsdale wasn't the answer, Raya is a downgrade so we need to go in the market again this summer and find our Alisson / Ederson.

Cana should stick to his job of coaching. We don't need him contributing anything to who we buy either.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League

You can go with an element of rotation with goalkeepers dependant on form / competitions but not something as arbitrary as home / away matches.

If Ramsdale wasn't the answer, Raya is a downgrade so we need to go in the market again this summer and find our Alisson / Ederson.

Cana should stick to his job of coaching. We don't need him contributing anything to who we buy either.
What if he isn't a good coach either? Why do Leno and Martinez look better since leaving Arsenal?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
What if he isn't a good coach either? Why do Leno and Martinez look better since leaving Arsenal?

The Leno and Martinez stuff gets overblown for me.

Neither have the range or quality of distribution that Raya or even Ramsdale have. They wouldn't work here.

Bucephalus

I'm not saying I'd do it, and I'm fairly certain Arteta won't, but how is home/away any more arbitrary than league/cups, and that's done all the time?

If two outfield players in the same position are roughly the same on form and quality, you'd rotate them roughly equally until it's clear who is better. Why should goalkeepers be exempt from that? And an arbitrary league/cup or home/away lets the player know ahead of time if he's playing or not, so there's no confidence shattering surprises. In that sense, arbitrary is a good thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom