• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: No Raya Sunshine

Tom Mix

I cheer the players on the pitch but honestly I had doubts about Raya but I don't have them now. He was awful on Tuesday. A match-losing performance had he not been saved by the team. I accept players make mistakes but he had two howlers, might have done better with the first goal and much of his famed distribution consisted of long punts forward (thank God!).

He lacks confidence, gives out vibes of being terrified and is now being clearly targeted by opposing teams. Unless we work out ways of protecting him I expect us to ship many goals in the style of Luton's second. This is a self-inflicted wound. Even forgetting what's happened in recent seasons, this season first Ramsdale was undermined by the club helpfully telling everyone his distribution is faulty and now Raya is being exposed as having issues with high balls and shot-stopping. So both our keepers are damaged goods a third of the way into the season and with no money to get a replacement.

I'd be ok with him as second keeper but he is not up to being our number one. I still think Ramsdale is a better option in the long run but if the management doesn't think so they need to buy and buy better.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
I think he'll play signet Vila. Ramsdale killed our back play against Brentford.

GDeep™

Not surprised
He’ll cost you in a KO CL game. Make a dumb mistake and you’re out of the CL. Will always be a question mark over Raya now.

To me, Martinez leaving just looks bad now, big, strong GK, best in the world on penalties etc.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He’ll cost you in a KO CL game. Make a dumb mistake and you’re out of the CL. Will always be a question mark over Raya now.

To me, Martinez leaving just looks bad now, big, strong GK, best in the world on penalties etc.

Emi makes consistent mistakes, we'd have the same issues with him. Plus terrible with the ball at his feet.

GDeep™

Not surprised
Emi makes consistent mistakes, we'd have the same issues with him. Plus terrible with the ball at his feet.
Don’t think he makes consistent mistakes. Key in Argentina winning everything over the last 2/3 years, second only to Messi maybe.

Agree with the rest.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

You forgot to take your medicine again.

Why do you think Emi has remained at Villa when so many clubs needed a GK? Because when you look past his penalty saves and his big personalty you realise he's an average keeper with an ego of a superstar.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Don’t think he makes consistent mistakes. Key in Argentina winning everything over the last 2/3 years, second only to Messi maybe.

Agree with the rest.

I've watched him make plenty and I've been out spoken on it, beyond his odd great games he drops stinkers, really inconsistent.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Madrid, Bayern all recently bought keepers and little old Emi stayed scratching his balls at Villa.

Chelsea's transfer policy is a mess.

United signed Ten Hags old mate Onana. He tend to prefer old mates when he sign players.

Emil will never work with Arteta again and the club know that.

Real and Bayern have signed stopgaps, dont think Emi is interested in that.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel

Late on seeing this but makes no sense from them. Raya has looked a bag of nerves in most of the home matches as well, same could be said of Ramsdale at Brentford.

Best move would be to pick one and move the other on in January. Reassess the other in the summer and make a move from there. From day one it hasn't done either of them any favours having all the spotlight on the position.

• Applause
Reactions: A_G

Malky

Established Member
I've watched him make plenty and I've been out spoken on it, beyond his odd great games he drops stinkers, really inconsistent.
He’s the most over rated keeper in world football! He’s had his fair share of howlers at Villa, which if it was Ramsdale or Raya, they’d be hated by the same people that love Emi.
He was a calamity against Forest a few weeks ago

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
He’s the most over rated keeper in world football! He’s had his fair share of howlers at Villa, which if it was Ramsdale or Raya, they’d be hated by the same people that love Emi.
He was a calamity against Forest a few weeks ago

It's because Emi had a purple patch for us and Gunners still think he's in the purple patch. He's not

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

@jones people are finally opening their eyes up about Ederson. Vicario looks a lot better than him.

Save success rate is notorious for being one of the noisiest stats around. Someone playing for a team with a low block that gets peppered with long shots will have a much higher save percentage than someone playing in a team that plays a very high line and mainly faces much higher XG opportunities when the actual chances present themselves.

Not a defense of Raya btw, think he's been pretty damn poor all things considered, just find that stat specifically so pointless in terms of rating keepers. It's not a coincidence that both Fabianski and Areola score very highly on that stat, as an example.

I do think Ederson is a tad overrated and probably wouldn't be rated as highly if he didn't play for Guardiola. The fact that people actually think him vs. Allison is a debate is laughable to me, Allison is IMO the best keeper in the world and in a tier of his own.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Save success rate is notorious for being one of the noisiest stats around. Someone playing for a team with a low block that gets peppered with long shots will have a much higher save percentage than someone playing in a team that plays a very high line and mainly faces much higher XG opportunities when the actual chances present themselves.

Not a defense of Raya btw, think he's been pretty damn poor all things considered, just find that stat specifically so pointless in terms of rating keepers. It's not a coincidence that both Fabianski and Areola score very highly on that stat, as an example.

I do think Ederson is a tad overrated and probably wouldn't be rated as highly if he didn't play for Guardiola. The fact that people actually think him vs. Allison is a debate is laughable to me, Allison is IMO the best keeper in the world and in a tier of his own.

Thing is the what backs it up is his post shot xG and it’s been a pattern since 2021 for Ederson, so it’s not something I’m purely basing it on. If you have a look a few posts further down from that initial post you quoted I think I mentioned their post shot xG which is more what I tend to look at.

Have never really been convinced with Ederson or Ramsdale for that matter but it’s nothing new. Me and @Trilly (there you go mate, you’ve got your tag 😂) were telling the truth a few years back about Ramsdale but people didn’t want to listen.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully he’ll have a solid game. I disagree that you can see his confidence rise and fall, maybe one game I thought it could have been low but he continues to look calm to me, with a sprinkling of howlers here and there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom