Dayot Upamecano

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Aevi, Dec 9, 2016.

1. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

This would be ideal. We'd have to over pay to secure it though. Plus it gives us time to shift 2 or 3 of Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis and Mavrapanos.

2. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

Only an idiot would leave the team at the top of the Bundesliga table to a team with no prospects save for sinking further down the table.

He's coming here if we pay over the odds for both him & RB Leipzig & I don't believe it would be wise to squander what meagre resources we have on one defender.

albakos likes this.
  3. truth_hurts

I do, but I'm not sure that Upamecano is said defender. I'd blow our whole budget on Kouilabailly for example.

tap-in and Sapient Hawk like this.
  4. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

At his age you’ll think he’ll need 2-4 years to adjust to England. Even then he might not cut it. Saliba is 18/19. In the premier league CB’s simply don’t start and perform for top clubs at 18-23 type ages, so you’re asking these guys to break the rule, big ask.

When Utd signed Ferdinand he was 24 but he still had issues over his concentration, he would switch off in games at Leeds. He was the greatest ever.

Like @Furious said, looks a big project with these signings.

albakos likes this.
  5. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Pretty sure next season will be a struggle for top 4, might just make top 6.

6. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

If we makes in right direction and build a good team then I'll accept it

7. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Well-Known Member

I agree, that is why I have said for a while that I would like us to sign a player in the 23-26 age group. They would hopefully have the consistency that comes with experience while still being young enough to have a 4-5 year partnership with Saliba further down the line. Easier said than done though!

8. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

I’m not behind this because I still haven’t been overly impressed by him or Konate this year, I think there are a lot of great CB options on the market which you could get for a fraction of his price.

I’ve come round more to the idea of a Lewis Dunk than Upamecano, in recent months he’s impressed me with his on the ball skills despite his age and price.

When you could get three great potential leaders like Ben White, Nathan Ferguson and Ben Davies for probably less than Upamecano I think the club should be going in that direction.

9. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Well-Known Member

Dunk is my number 1 choice for central defence. He seems a good character, a leader, has plenty of experience, checks all the boxes.

254Giant, Gooner416, Fouz and 2 others like this.
  10. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

Could be. I just based the figure on the £5.78 million Worrall is valued by Carteret Analytics, per the BBC.

11. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

Now that'd be a defender I'd get behind spending serious transfer funds on.

Problem is, De Laurentis, being the nutjob that he is, will demand an extortionist fee.

truth_hurts likes this.
  12. kofigunner

kofigunner Well-Known Member Trusted

Is Dayot one for the future or what? I wonder. We need an experienced leader who’s ready now, preferably with premiership experienced. Without being alarmist, we’re in dangerous territory in terms of our relationship to the bottom 3. Having a young kid who’s going to take time to adjust is not the desired route we should be taking.

13. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

If or when Koulibaly is sold it will be over £80m, possibly even £100m. I don't think Upamecano will be too much of a risk, he already has good experience and at 22 we would be set for years with him and Saliba, both French which will help.

14. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant

You'd think at 28, someone would have gone for Koulibally by now? Not saying it's old but surely this summer he'll move.

15. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

He is available for right price. Napoli owner is difficult he'll demand like at least 80m

16. truth_hurts

Think they'll be a lot of teams interested in the summer. Plus, you would have to think he'd want out now. Hasn't won anything at Napoli.

17. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Last I heard the Napoli owner was saying don’t bother coming for Koulibaly unless you’ve got over 100M to spend.

Issue for most clubs would be his age now. Can’t really invest such money in a guy pushing 30. Coming to England will need an adjustment period too.

Only thing I see for him is an Italian club doing one of those fruity player plus cash type swaps. Could end up at Inter or something like that.

Artisan likes this.
  18. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Signed a new deal recently so he’s got three and a half years on his deal.

19. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Luiz aside, you look at the most expensive defenders list, the top 10 are all around 25 years old.

20. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

Need a cb now chambers is out