• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Declan Rice

How long until Arsenal announce this?

• By Thursday (the 6th)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Looking good for us unless Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc decide they need him too.
Liverpool is no threat. Their best players are on their way down and has no connection to the city and not a huge England influence.

United....no sure. Depends on the offer but I think if we are seriously interested the only competition we would face is City (dont think they need him) or Chelsea (purely because of his love and connection to the club).

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Liverpool is no threat. Their best players are on their way down and has no connection to the city and not a huge England influence.

United....no sure. Depends on the offer but I think if we are seriously interested the only competition we would face is City (dont think they need him) or Chelsea (purely because of his love and connection to the club).

He doesn't strike me as the type that would be interested in leaving London.

If that proves to be true, with CL qualification all but assured, we should be in the driving seat.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He doesn't strike me as the type that would be interested in leaving London.

If that proves to be true, with CL qualification all but assured, we should be in the driving seat.
I agree. His interview with that ball bag Neville indicated he wants to spend his life in London. Obviously he may take up an extra ordinary offer but I don't think that is going to happen.

We are in the driving seat and should take advantage of it.

Mudi

It’s the English player tax
Then let us not pay the English tax?

We have enough English players with Ramsdale, White, Holding, Saka, ESR, Nelson, Nketiah, Balogun,...

On top, we have Saliba and Martinelli who are eligble as Homegrown players.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
It’s the English player tax
Then let us not pay the English tax?

We have enough English players with Ramsdale, White, Holding, Saka, ESR, Nelson, Nketiah, Balogun,...

On top, we have Saliba and Martinelli who are eligble as Homegrown players.

It's not the English tax doing the work here, it's PL clubs having a lot more money to spend after the recent TV deals etc, on top of just being miles ahead financially in general.

Was Tchouameni's £90m fee also because the English tax? Enzo? Mudryk? Pepe? Lukaku? Kepa? van Dijk? Antony? Pogba?

Both Rodri and Partey had release clauses, so those figures aren't really relevant. Those deals actually impacted Spanish football quite a bit in that regard, with recent release clauses being much higher because they know PL clubs can pay it.

Casemiro was 30. Paying £70m for a 30-year-old is more egregious than paying £85m for a 24 top class player, no matter the nationality.

I've made this point so many times now. Look at the fees being paid in the market and stop thinking today's values are the same as they were in 2019/2020. PL clubs literally have around 30% more money to spend then they did 2-3 years ago. Clubs like Bournemouth are now competing for transfers with the top clubs in France not named PSG.

I really struggle to understand why people don't get this.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
It's not the English tax doing the work here, it's PL clubs having a lot more money to spend after the recent TV deals etc, on top of just being miles ahead financially in general.

Was Tchouameni's £90m fee also because the English tax? Enzo? Mudryk? Pepe? Lukaku? Kepa? van Dijk? Antony? Pogba?

Both Rodri and Partey had release clauses, so those figures aren't really relevant. Those deals actually impacted Spanish football quite a bit in that regard, with recent release clauses being much higher because they know PL clubs can pay it.

Casemiro was 30. Paying £70m for a 30-year-old is more egregious than paying £85m for a 24 top class player, no matter the nationality.

I've made this point so many times now. Look at the fees being paid in the market and stop thinking today's values are the same as they were in 2019/2020. PL clubs literally have around 30% more money to spend then they did 2-3 years ago. Clubs like Bournemouth are now competing for transfers with the top clubs in France not named PSG.

Why not mention Neymar's 200m transfer fee too, or start listing Martinelli and Ødegaard to see how sensible a transfer would be? What does other clubs overpaying for certain players have to do with anything.

It's possible there's both an English tax *and* PL clubs get fleeced because they're loaded. Just because United were dumb enough to pay 70m for Casemiro doesn't mean 85m for a flawed player in Rice is good business, even more so with the player angling for a move, West Ham possibly getting relegated etc

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Why not mention Neymar's 200m transfer fee too, or start listing Martinelli and Ødegaard to see how sensible a transfer would be? What does other clubs overpaying for certain players have to do with anything.

It's possible there's both an English tax *and* PL clubs get fleeced because they're loaded. Just because United were dumb enough to pay 70m for Casemiro doesn't mean 85m for a flawed player in Rice is good business, even more so with the player angling for a move, West Ham possibly getting relegated etc

I think you have to look at PL teams recent transfers, which didn't have 1 year left on their deal, so:

Mudryk, Antony, Enzo Fernandez, Fofana, Cucurella, Casemiro, Richarlison, Nunez

When you look at those fees ranging from 60m-105m, something in the middle for Rice doesn't look unreasonable. Not to mention West Ham rejected 100m last summer already. So it could take £100m to get it done. Bare in mind we were offering 70m for Caicedo and getting rejected.

Also Ben White was £50m and TV money has gone up by 30% since then, which means Brighton would demand £65m for him in 2023

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I think you have to look at PL teams recent transfers, which didn't have 1 year left on their deal, so:

Mudryk, Antony, Enzo Fernandez, Fofana, Cucurella, Casemiro, Richarlison, Nunez
I thought every single one of those deals was massively overpriced.

It's not impossible to get reasonable fees even if you're a PL club, look at Ødegaard Gabriel or Saliba, even Jesus and Zinchenko were reasonable in comparison if we discount their fitness issues. Partey's fee is dismissed because it was a release clause but those are still around, no one forces us to look at players without any in their contracts.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I thought every single one of those deals was massively overpriced.

It's not impossible to get reasonable fees even if you're a PL club, look at Ødegaard Gabriel or Saliba, even Jesus and Zinchenko were reasonable in comparison if we discount their fitness issues. Partey's fee is dismissed because it was a release clause but those are still around, no one forces us to look at players without any in their contracts.

Jesus and Zinchenko only had a year on their deals and were back ups for City so that reduced their price. They either had to sell them cheap or let them go on a free. Ødegaard was unwanted at Real. These were very smart deals to make but they're not reflective of the market unless you can find a player who's contract is nearly expired or someone unwanted.

If we're limiting ourselves to midfielders who's contracts are expiring in the next 6-18 months it leaves us with Tielemans, Savic, Maddison, Kovacic, Neves, Brandt, Ndidi, Rabiot, Gundogan. There's probably bargains to be had there but do any of them suit our needs?

Or we could take a risk on a player from Germany/France/Spain and get a discount over PL proven players. As we know that's more of a risk, but can have upside. The problem is they don't always come with much of a discount, see - Pepe, Werner, Havertz

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Jesus and Zinchenko only had a year on their deals and were back ups for City so that reduced their price. They either had to sell them cheap or let them go on a free. Ødegaard was unwanted at Real. These were very smart deals to make but they're not reflective of the market unless you can find a player who's contract is nearly expired or someone unwanted.

If we're limiting ourselves to midfielders who's contracts are expiring in the next 6-18 months it leaves us with Tielemans, Savic, Maddison, Kovacic, Neves, Brandt, Ndidi, Rabiot, Gundogan. There's probably bargains to be had there but do any of them suit our needs?

Or we could take a risk on a player from Germany/France/Spain and get a discount over PL proven players. As we know that's more of a risk, but can have upside. The problem is they don't always come with much of a discount, see - Pepe, Werner, Havertz
Why would we limit ourselves to the nine players you've listed? You really think there are just three midfielders outside the PL who could improve us?

Ødegaard might not have featured in Ancelotti's plans but that doesn't mean signing him for 35m is a given. Same time you could argue Rice has passed up two or three transfer windows where he could've forced West Ham's hand, they're in danger of going down etc, he doesn't have five years left on his contract either.

My point is even disregarding all the above Rice's talent doesn't warrant a fee that would make him our second or most expensive ever player. And even on a cheap I wouldn't want him to be a nailed on starter.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

A player/transfer like Martinelli isn't the same as a move for Rice. Martinelli was a complete unknown prospect brought in for the future for very little money. If you buy Rice, he's clearly coming in with the expectation of delivering at a very level immediately.

Ødegaard was a fantastic bargain. If you read back in this thread you'll see me say over and over again than an opportunistic deal for another DM for either equivalent value or less would probably be a better deal, but we don't know if that is going to present itself.

It's not like you can just hit on a Martinelli type signing as a guaranteed alternative to an established quality player - if that was the case, no one would ever buy established names. For every Martinelli you have a handful of failed punts, and when you clearly need quality in a position here and now with CL football looming next season, throwing £10m at some prospect from Bolivia to play significant minutes to challenge on all fronts just isn't realistic.

shoom

Madison would be a really good acquisition. We could play him alongside Ode in some games and rotate with him in others. We desperately need some added creativity and goals in midfield, we've got nothing on the bench. PL proven, coming into his prime and only a year left. Leicester will have to sell, reckon we could get him for under 50m.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Struggling to keep reading this thread with the amount of people who can't see how good Rice is.

We also need to get to a point where we get over the big fees. We offered £90 million for Thomas Lemar ffs. That was years ago. We spent £72 million on Pepe and he flopped. If we buy Rice for £85 million, the whole fanbase will focus on the price tag, because it isn't the norm.

Do you think Chelsea fans talk about price? The whole football world is numb to it. Mudryk isn't performing and he cost a ridiculous amount. Enzo Fernandez has been average as the most expensive premier league transfer ever, yet nobody really relates his fee to his performances. Apparently a £100 million player needs time these days.

We need to buy Rice for £85 million and spend £75 million on Caicedo and get over the fees.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
A player/transfer like Martinelli isn't the same as a move for Rice. Martinelli was a complete unknown prospect brought in for the future for very little money. If you buy Rice, he's clearly coming in with the expectation of delivering at a very level immediately.

Ødegaard was a fantastic bargain. If you read back in this thread you'll see me say over and over again than an opportunistic deal for another DM for either equivalent value or less would probably be a better deal, but we don't know if that is going to present itself.

It's not like you can just hit on a Martinelli type signing as a guaranteed alternative to an established quality player - if that was the case, no one would ever buy established names. For every Martinelli you have a handful of failed punts, and when you clearly need quality in a position here and now with CL football looming next season, throwing £10m at some prospect from Bolivia to play significant minutes to challenge on all fronts just isn't realistic.
I didn't mention a Martinelli type signing as a realistic alternative, I mentioned him to show his transfer has about as much relevance to the matter whether Rice is worth his fee as the expensive guys you've listed.

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
Struggling to keep reading this thread with the amount of people who can't see how good Rice is.

We also need to get to a point where we get over the big fees. We offered £90 million for Thomas Lemar ffs. That was years ago. We spent £72 million on Pepe and he flopped. If we buy Rice for £85 million, the whole fanbase will focus on the price tag, because it isn't the norm.

Do you think Chelsea fans talk about price? The whole football world is numb to it. Mudryk isn't performing and he cost a ridiculous amount. Enzo Fernandez has been average as the most expensive premier league transfer ever, yet nobody really relates his fee to his performances. Apparently a £100 million player needs time these days.

We need to buy Rice for £85 million and spend £75 million on Caicedo and get over the fees.
I like this.

In our squad, midfield is an area need to be improved in the summer. Because our midfield is not young anymore, and the quality and quantity can't be compared with defensive field and attack field.
If we want to become a candidate for the title, i can't trust Jorginho (31), Partey (29), Xhaka (30), and Elneny (30).
I don't want to pray everyday hoping Partey is fit
£160m Rice + Caicedo to replace Xhaka, Partey, Elneny, Jorginho is not bad. We can't play at CL with Jorginho and Elneny :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom