• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dennis Praet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Don't know much about Praet but I went a little cold on Fornals this season. Was very excited about him before but he was bang average this season. Poor even. Very disappointing. Now is it just a bump on the road, or will he ever find consistency at top level, who knows, but there are question marks. Talented for sure, though. Joan Jordan, who we were linked to at some point, was much more convincing this season in La Liga.
Told you all Fornals is overrated.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I would like us to work towards a midfield three with the following profiles:
1. Anchor in front of defense, good interceptions, able to transition the ball to attack with a decent passing range, press resistant (quick feet). Torreira fits this mold. Ideally this player would also be able to contribute with defensive headers, but we can't have it all at the moment.
2. All-action midfielder (accent on defense), solid defensively both with interceptions and tackles, able to drive and pass the ball forward, good dribbler, press-resistant. Preferably some power/atheleticism
3. Creative midfielder (accent on attack), creative, able to pick a pass, can dribble, find space to always be available to receive the ball (basically provides fluidity in possession), adds goals/assists from midfield, no slouch defensively.

I think Praet would fit nicely in the second category. Perhaps he lacks some strength/speed, but he seems to have grown in that department. We currently don't really have the players to fit that category. AMN could be it (we'll have to see), Xhaka is too limited especially defensively, Guendouzi has the potential to be it but is a mess in defense and too slow on the ball currently.
-> Other options could be Barella, Rabiot or Partey.

Problem is we don't have the right creative midfielder either. If we play Özil or Mkhitaryan we basically have only two midfielders who work defensively, in which case we'd need a more defensive midfielder than Praet.
-> options for the 3rd category to replace Ramsey/Özil could be Ndombele (too expensive), Claude-Maurice (if he can step up a few levels), Fornals, Lo Celso (too expensive), vdBeek (too expensive). In the more affordable category perhaps there is Ceballos?

In short, I see Praet more as a mobile+press-resistant replacement of Xhaka in a midfield three, rather than a Ramsey replacement.
Ndombele Tonali Aouar will do

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I didn't take the guys views even the slightest bit seriously when I read these bits!

The departure of the sensational Aaron Ramsey has surely shaken Arsenal

Ramsey's absence was sorely missed in the Europa League final, where Mesut Özil wasn't capable of producing the tactically disciplined, all-round midfield performance that we've been so used to seeing from Ramsey for many years.

While Praet is of course not as good a player as Ramsey by any means, he does bring a similar sort of discipline and versatility into midfield which Arsenal will be needing
Praet tactical discipline/positioning is just as bad as ramsey.
Praet is more technical and have a better pass in him tho.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Fair enough, I won't make it appear like I know enough of the player to judge, so I follow other member's oppionions on him.

However, from all what I've gathered on the rare appearances I saw of him and youtube, of course, he does not strike me as the imposing physical presence I finally want to see.

Ideally, I'd like to have a Santi + Sangare mix in a midfield pairing.

I'd deem Praet as the Santi part in that sense, but there are little to no players at all, that bring those qualities that he had.
Praet has to be really really special as he does not seem to provide much of the other dimension.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Fair enough, I won't make it appear like I know enough of the player to judge, so I follow other member's oppionions on him.

However, from all what I've gathered on the rare appearances I saw of him and youtube, of course, he does not strike me as the imposing physical presence I finally want to see.

Ideally, I'd like to have a Santi + Sangare mix in a midfield pairing.

I'd deem Praet as the Santi part in that sense, but there are little to no players at all, that bring those qualities that he had.
Praet has to be really really special as he does not seem to provide much of the other dimension.
You wouldn’t find another CM playing like Cazorla. Simply because he was an AM being forced to play there, but he adapted well.
Not every AM is capable of getting that defensive quality or positioning awareness in the CM position.
If you want to have a Cazorla type of player as a CM, it might be easier to try turning Ziyech or Aouar into one rather than looking on the market.
To me, a CM don’t really need dribbling skills, Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes, Carrick, Alonso, Kroos.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom