• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Destiny Calling - from Highbury to Anfield.....

alonso14

Established Member
What's the greatest thing an Arsenal player could do? Probably popping up to score a goal at White Hart Lane, thus securing the clubs first title in 18 years, at the home of there feircest rivals....Not much is going to beat that...!!

Kicked out by Port Vale and told by the clubs manager, the great Stanley Matthews that he was too slow to make it at the top flight, Ray Kennedy returned to his native North East. He carried on playing in the local amateur leagues, and working in a sweet factory. After all, a man who was probably the greatest player of his generation has given him his cards, and who was he to argue.

Fortunatley for him, an Arsenal scout spotted him playing in a local cup game and invited him to trial with the Gunners. He signed proffessional forms with Arsenal in 1968, making his debut in a Fairs Cup game versus Glentoran in 1969. That season Arsenal made the final of that competition, playing Anderlecht in the Final. Losing 0-3 in the 1st leg, a young Kennedy came on as a substitute, scoring a crucial late goal. Arsenal completed the come back in the second leg, winning 3-0 and thus securing the clubs first European trophy 4-3 on aggregate.

The following season was to be glorious for both club and player. Ray made himself a virtual ever present in the Arsenal side that swept all before them, securing the title at White Hart Lane thanks to Ray's winner, and three days later defeating Liverpool on a baking hot day at Wembley. Ray didnt score in the final, but was the undoubted star of that season, ending up as the clubs top scorer with 27 goals as Arsenal became only the second club in the 20th century to complete the League and FA Cup double.

He carried being an important player for Arsenal, ending up as top scorer in two of the following three seasons, unfortunatley Arsenal found it difficult to repeat the glory of 1971, and remained trophy-less for the next few seasons.

On a sunny May morning in 1974 the city of Liverpool was rocked to it's core as the announcement of Bill Shankly's shock retirement reverberated around the place. This was as bigger news to Scousers as split up of the Beatles. Shanks WAS Liverpool, and Liverpool without him was something no-one had considered.

Something else happened on that very day, hidden by the bigger announcement of the demise of the great man. Liverpool announced the capture of a striker from Arsenal for £180,000. Big money in those days. Ray Kennedy arrived at Anfield as Bill Shankly departed. The great mans last act as the manager.

Despite his goal scoring feats at Highbury, Ray was going to find it difficult to get in the side as a centre forward due to the presence of the great Anfield strike partnership of Kevin Keegan and John Toshack. Bob Paisley, however, had a cunning plan. He handed Ray the No. 5 shirt thus trning this burly centre forward into an attacking left sided midfielder. Kennedy was a revelation in this position and never played as a striker again. Timing his runs to perfection he would often ghost into the box, defenders left flummoxed as he would slot the ball calmly into the net.

Kennedy became a massive crowd favourite. He epitomised the Liverpool sides of this generation. Cultured, hard working and calm under pressure. He won the UEFA Cup in 1976, and almost repeated his double winning achievments with the Gunners in 1977, as Liverpool came close to capturing the prized domestic trophies, losing to Man United in the FA Cup final, Kennedy almost forcing extra time as his powerful left foot shot struck the upright with virtually the last kick of the game. Four days later however, Liverpool became the only second club in English Football history to win the European Cup, as they defeated Borussia Moenchengladbach 3-1 in Rome.

Ray went on to secure another European Cup winners medal the following year, and another in 1981. He was also a vital member of the sides that secured 2 more titles and the clubs first League Cup.

In his time at Liverpool international honours came Ray's way, playing 17 times for the national team, scoring 3 goals. Many people thought he should have had more caps.

In 1981 Ray left Liverpool to join up with John Toshack at newly promoted Swansea City. It wasnt a great time for the player however, and his career at the Welsh club ended in tears, as the manager (and Ray's ex Liverpool team mate) Toshack accused Ray of not trying. This was an anaethema to a proud man, from working class roots Kennedy was the last player to accuse of lacking effort. His performances were, however, waning mysteriously. Ray left and returned to his native North East where he played for Hartlepool.

As the season progressed it became obvious that he had a problem, feeling tired and lethargic during and after matches, it became hard to to be selected. He was playing on reputation alone. At the age of 32 (a day before his 33rd birthday, Ray announced his immediate retirement from the game. He went into coaching with Sunderland but the problems that were manifesting himself on the pitch were beggining to affect him off it.

After under going many tests, he was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease at the tender age of 35.

Ray was one of those players whose career ended before the money laden Premiership, and the onset of millionaire footballers. If Ray had been playing today he would probably be gracing La Liga or Serie A, he was as cultured as they come. David Beckham? You're having a laugh.....!!

Unfortunately, Ray fell on hard times. Arsenal and Liverpool played a testimonial in 1991 where 18,000 turned up to salute the great man. As the hard times hit, Ray was forced to sell many of his medals and memorabilia to help him out financially. Both clubs have been accused of not doing enough to help. They could have bought the medals from him and returned them.

Ray Kennedy now lives in his native North East, increasingly immobile and dependant on family and friends to care for him.

I remember going to Ashton Gate.... I would have been 8 or 9.......It was a close game, on a crap, bobbly pitch on an icy January afternoon. At 0-0 deep into the second half, the ball was slid behind the right back, and a tall graceful No. 5 latched onto the through ball.....controlling the ball when it seemed impossible, with the stricken full back and centre half snapping at his heels, and the on rushing goal keper at his feet, he simply lifted the ball, left footed, into the top right hand corner of the goal.......he turns and with a big grin accepts the congratulations of the grateful team mates and returns to the half way line to complete the task of securing anotehr important two points.

Ray Kennedy, I salute you

Tony Montana

Established Member
Nice article on an Arsenal and Liverpool legend. By the way Alonso, do you write only on here or do you write for local magazines and papers too?

alonso14

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Nice article on an Arsenal and Liverpool legend. By the way Alonso, do you write only on here or do you write for local magazines and papers too?

thanks

i do do bits and bobs here and there but I am not a journalist

alonso14

Established Member
the pay is too low...

Seriously I considered it one but it wasnt my thing really.....i prefer to do this stuff for fun

if I ever get round to it ill dig up some of the stuff I have written in the past...

I have had articles in the Times, France Football magasine, 442 and the like

i enjoy doing it

Nutsy

Established Member
damn, that is impressive mate. i do some local paper, but stopped a few months ago. it is a bit pointless doing sports article here mate. the public intrests on local ones, and the paper took Reuters to shove it inside, instead of encouraging local journalism.

alonso14

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
damn, that is impressive mate. i do some local paper, but stopped a few months ago. it is a bit pointless doing sports article here mate. the public intrests on local ones, and the paper took Reuters to shove it inside, instead of encouraging local journalism.

where you from?

Nutsy

Established Member
I'm from Berlin mate, but am now studying at South East Asia. lil isle called Borneo ring a bell?

alonso14

Established Member
certainly does

its a shame when people are discouraged from writing....

I am hoping to do some for the BBC when they move up north to Manchester (5live and BBC Sport)

Nutsy

Established Member
The Paper's called Borneo Bulletin, it's a good paper, Generally works on the Country I'm staying at though. anyways, they prefer to take it from Reuters and place it in the sports section. such a shame really, have a few of my local mates made very decent articles especially on the Premiership ties.

alonso14

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
Got that, and keep em comin' ypur articles mate, i thoroughly enjoy em.;)

its getting the subject matter right i think

it is easier on a Liverpool forum cause I can post any old **** e and they lap it up, but here I am trying to be a bit more Arsenal oriented, even if it is about Liverpool

Thanks anyway

Nutsy

Established Member
even then, if ya can't pm me mate. i enjoy reading up your articles. and i'll pm you mine. deal? ya don't have to be Arsenal Oriented if you send it to me mate.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
alonso
you are very talented writer
May I sugest you send of artical to Arsenal /Liverpool magacines,they may print it
I think you have got great future as football writer
Write to Liverpool FC write to MD with one of your articals and you never know maybe Liverpool FC will offer you a job to write artical in their programmes
Ok ok I shutup now,hope you did not mind me sticking my nose in

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ok I just had this thought----yes I know I said I will shutup but-------------

Just one more thing,maybe you can write football novel
Send it to lots of publishers and hopefully it become big seller
My oldest is at university(good thing she not got my academic genes lol) doing joint honours
One of her friends at university dad work place turned down JK Rowling's Harry Potter so if you do write do not give up hope if you get a reject slip

alonso14

Established Member
erm dont know what to say really :eek:ops:

Thank you for your kind words...I dont think I am talented, I just write from the heart....I would like to think that shows

I am in the process of writing a novel I am about a third of the way through.....it is about Liverpool and terrace culture.......I have had a meeting with a potential publisher so who knows.

Thanks anyway

RC8

Established Member
Great article, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Hopefully you will be able to publish that book you are writing. If you do, please let us know ;) I'm sure many of us would love to buy it. Keep the good work going, your articles are wonderful, thank you for taking the time to write them.

A

Anonymous

alonso14, do you mind if I post this on the main site? Let me know what name to credit it to and I will.

In general, guys we're always looking for article submissions so please feel free to submit them to the site. :)

Top Bottom