<

Did we do good business last summer?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Aug 7, 2020.

?

Was the summer business good?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

You didn't see it coming, you made it happen. There's a massive difference.

2. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

Nah it got bigger because we started losing/drawing games we would usually win?

Teams below us started to improve their squad cost meaning that beating them wasn't as probable as it used to be. Teams around us started to outperform their squad cost and we couldn't keep up.

That essentially a manager's role right? Leverage your squad cost against smaller teams and outperform as it as much as you can against more expensive teams.

Wenger was never really able to outpeform his squad cost against the top teams but it was the loss of his ability to leverage his own squad cost that started to kill him.

3. Trilly

We could go in circles all day but if I have you arguing that the Wenger-outers are what caused Wenger's decline then I'll take that as a moral victory.:lol:

It's one of the wildest defences I've seen on here.

4. GDeep™

GDeep™ Has Never Seen Our New Signings Play

Can we not keep this thread centred around last summer and the season? I’m just interested to know why we finished 8th.

5. Makingtrax

It's not wild, it's not a defence, it's just an observation of what happened. A guy was put under enormous pressure and he folded. It happens in every walk of life. Lets move on.

Gooner416, Macho and Trilly like this.
  6. Trilly

Emery!

If we all accept that Emery wasn't the right man for the job then we can't blame us being 10th on the summer signings can we? A poor manager is still a poor manager.

Arteta comes in and with the same squad ranks in the top four for points since January and also wins silverware. Unfortunately we don't know what Arteta would have done as manager last season but I think its safe to say that our summer business didn't make us worse, Emery did.

The fact that a rookie manager came in and took a broken low on confidence squad and did what he did implies to me that we actually made our squad better. A little better in the short term imo but much better in the long term (time will tell).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    tcahill, Oxeki, Macho and 1 other person like this.
  7. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Unai Emery allowing 30 shots a game at home to dross teams, drawing against dross teams etc etc.

8. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

Riou you agree with whatever the popular opinion is, I don’t get why you’re acting so arrogant :lol:

GDeep™ and Riou like this.
  9. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

It’s the players fault for being sh*t, dunno why people never want to point the finger that way.

10. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

I bet you’re jealous @HairSprayGooners has me on ignore.

GDeep™ and Makingtrax like this.
  11. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Funny how the two freaks @Riou and @Oxeki are repping last summer's window when we were so poor this season.

Yet they both have been vocal recently about how poor our 16/17 window was when we were miles better than this season.

Bumlickers will bumlick, I guess.

12. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

As for my own take, it's pretty simple:

The business was poor in relation to improving on the previous season; based on what we know now, we let too many players go without replacing them. The importance of guys like Kos, Monreal and Ramsey who had been doing it for years was understated. Likewise Pepe alone wasn't enough to help us offensively.

However, most of the signings in isolation are good. Tierney has shown great promise. Pepe, whilst expensive, will be a good player for us. Ceballos, whether he stays is another matter, but should be adjusted fully now. Saliba is a good talent. Luiz whilst making way too many mistakes is somehow still our best CB.

13. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

Whilst I think we had a good window myself, this is a fair assessment.
    Too many future signings not enough for now. That goes for contract renewals too.

Furious likes this.
  14. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

In short, Emery.

I don’t think he’s a bad coach and I will follow his progress in Spain. I think its safe to say he completely lost the plot and his communication skills let him down - with the squad and the media/the public.

I dunno about top 4 but we could have definitely finished a couple places higher with this squad as it is.

15. Trilly

Some of them are no hopers for sure. But I think Mustafi, Ceballos and Xhaka are good examples of players who did better under Arteta.

We will always have a ceiling due to some players but Emery was nowhere near that ceiling.

16. Trilly

This is the funniest one for me.

I think there's a decent CB there. He has the tendency to try and tackle players who are through on goal which when combined with our defensive issues are a recipe for disaster. Ignoring Emery's time here and the Liverpool disaster class (came on cold and wasn't fit) he hasn't been that bad.

Furious likes this.
  17. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

Quick question: In two years when guys like Saliba, Tierney, Ceballos (if we make him permanent) and Pepe start tearing it up will last summer window considered a good window?

Personally, I think it should. The biggest mistake we made was appointing Emery.

I think last summer was our best window in almost a decade.

In a few years, we're going to look back at last summer as the turning point of our fortune

18. Ash10

Ash10 Jury Lite

It was a window focusing more on the future rather than the here & now. Bad management & the dross we've had from before didn’t help either

Can't say it’s a good window unless the signings work out in the end

19. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

People will obviously put all the blame on Emery, but what did he get to work with after his first season?

Missed out on top 4 by one point and made the Europa final, a huge bottle job to miss out sure, but top 4 was right there for the taking next season with the right improvements and considering the competition.. We needed to improve our defence, what did Emery get? A cb he can't use, a lb who was going to miss months before he could play, and another cb worse than one legged Koscielny, instead of improving we downgraded for the season. Midfield and attack needed upgrade and he got a loanee that needed adaption and a player he didn't want. Not to mention that he lost huge personalities in the team and main creative forces from previous season without being replaced, again instead of improving we downgraded for the season.

You can say we'll improve long term, but we wasted a golden opportunity to get back into top 4 for this, so unless they get top 4 next season it was a failure that set us back further.

20. Makingtrax

Summed up perfectly.

Gooner416 likes this.