• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Did we do good business last summer?

Was the summer business good?

• Yes

Votes: 54 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 28.0%

• Total voters

akhil

Only a dummy would vote yes. We finished 8th in one of the weakest leagues ever.

Chelsea had a kid manager who couldn’t spend, Utd have the worst manager in the league, City lost 10 games and Sp**s had their issues.

What about Emery? He doesn't get any blame? We were in relegation form when he was around. Only Tierney and Bellerin wasn't available to him. We were rubbish to watch.
We've looked significantly better since Arteta even with some lousy luck.

Context matters and how these guys finished the season. They were decent buys. Luiz is the questionable one but that was just opportunistic I suspect after Kos's antics over the summer.
Letting go of Mkhi, Iwobi and Ramsey without similar replacements was a bigger issue for me.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think taking into account no CL qualification we had a very good window last summer. Ok a top CB would have been the icing on the cake but we couldn't afford that so we took Luiz as an experienced cheaper option, and more importantly we bought Saliba for the future, even though we couldn't use him this past season. Pepe will be more settled next season, I have faith in him coming good. Tierney & Martinelli great signings and Ceballos may end up being here for another season or even permanently. Definitely a good window!

GDeep™

League is very weak
How can you vote yes when Arsenal went from 5th to 8th? Mind boggling.

Luiz and Dani were poor all season. That’s 50% of the signings.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Think we are on level points with Chelsea but I can't remember.

Difficult to judge considering hes had under half a season in charge with none of his own signings... yet.
Not the point. If the business we did was good, it wouldn't matter that Arteta didn't have his signings

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

F*ck off.

You have seen the signings last summer and you have said often enough, that will easily get Top 4 with this Squad and Emery as a coach.

So then they were good enough to get CL and Luiz and Ceballos weren't poor all season. Stop your propaganda.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
What part of poor under Emery do you not understand.

The players can't remain blameless, or rather all the blame can't go to the manager for their poor form. There is only so much a manager can do.

How many managers have PSG had? Yet they keep winning Ligue 1 because they have the best players in the division.

Did Klopp win the league with Mignolet in goal and Andy Caroll up front?

I genuinely think managers only really make a difference at the top or bottom end of the table when things are tight. When you're going for a league title with a team full of top players competing against teams with other top players, that's when a manager can squeeze a little more out of them through motivation or tactics. Same at the bottom.

You don't need a managerial genius to finish 6th with Everton. You just players that are better than the guys that play for teams below them.

The majority of our signings were poor full stop. Hell I'd argue despite the praise this group of players gets, the majority of our them are poor full stop.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
F*ck off.

giphy.gif

akhil

We've been on a downward slope since Leicester winning the PL The only players we've signed since then that's delivered consistently for us has been Auba and Leno. That reflects the league position.

3 of the signings last summer didn't even feature regularly until the restart. 1 of them joined last week. We overpaid for Pepe sure, I'll give this lot another year before ruling them out.
Tierney's and Martinelli are gems.
Ceballos performance post restart has given me genuine hope. He's a loan signing on top of that, barely cost us anything and integral in winning us a cup.
Pepe's still raw but the talents there for all to see.
Saliba, for the future.
Luiz, meh.

The players that were already here were a massive part of the reason we went down from 5th to 8th. Özil, Laca, Xhaka, Kola, all the exisiting CBs bar Chambers, AMN , Torreira, Guendouzi, were largely **** the whole season.
Add to that, we were depending on youngsters in the league as well. The fact that these youngsters got the minutes they did shows how **** the seniors were.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
All about context. We just lost a final to Chelsea and we got no CL. We were linked all summer with Ryan Fraser and Carrasco and our captain decided he wanted out. It looked like another gloomy summer on the hands but then Pepe came and I felt like that "feeling" I had not felt since Özil back in 2011. I think it glossed over some cracks but you can't deny how good it felt. As for the other in's and out's. Very happy with Tierney as a whole, I was happy with Cellabos but he kinda let me down half way through the campaign and picked it up again during the restart, so overall I've grown to like him. Pepe struggled a lot, I'm not sure if he'll ever live up to the transfer fee but it still doesn't mean he can't he a great player for us. I think it's down to how much he wants it so I'm lukewarm with him but I can see why we made that transfer. Martinelli was a godsend. Luiz, I'm surprised we actually replaced Kos. Normally we don't act so competently when we replace our players. Tbh I'm not a fan of Luiz and the decision to hold onto him another year was annoying for me but the best thing this guy can do for us is offer mentorship to Saliba and Gabriel. That's literally the best thing he can do for us. I always said if he came by himself it would not be good news but if he came with a younger CB too like a Upamaecano for instance, it could have been a better transfer.

As for the outgoings. Losing Ramsey, Welbeck and Wilshere for a free was pope planning. About £80 million lost for no reason. Dissatisfied that we couldn't get Mustafi and Kolasinac out but I guess in hindsight the former was debately our best CB. Shame about Monreal but if he wanted to go home we shouldn't block his path. Should have taken whatever money we were offered for Mkhi back in the summer but at least he's gone. Oh yeah i forgot about Iwobi. Probably the best transfer out we've had in years. £40 million was great but it's kinda funny how we've been linked with Willian now, basically an upgraded Iwobi. It shows that those types of wingers may not get the goals and assist but their ability to provide balance is vital for any time. Maybe if we kept Iwobi we could have looked a bit better creatively but we'll never know now.

At the time: 7/10
Now: 5/10

scytheavatar

Established Member
The players can't remain blameless, or rather all the blame can't go to the manager for their poor form. There is only so much a manager can do.

How many managers have PSG had? Yet they keep winning Ligue 1 because they have the best players in the division.

Did Klopp win the league with Mignolet in goal and Andy Caroll up front?

I genuinely think managers only really make a difference at the top or bottom end of the table when things are tight. When you're going for a league title with a team full of top players competing against teams with other top players, that's when a manager can squeeze a little more out of them through motivation or tactics. Same at the bottom.

You don't need a managerial genius to finish 6th with Everton. You just players that are better than the guys that play for teams below them.

The majority of our signings were poor full stop. Hell I'd argue despite the praise this group of players gets, the majority of our them are poor full stop.

Everything indicates that Raul was trying to plug the holes that Emery asked us to plug, he didn't give Emery the exact players he asked for but it is clear that Emery told us to prioritize a winger signing. Had he told Raul "please don't sign Pepe, sign Partey instead" I find it hard to believe Raul would have ignored him. So Emery has no one to blame but himself for his terrible judgement. We would have finished in the top 4 last season had Ramsey not been injured, yet Emery wanted us to replace Ramsey with the cheapskate option.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Quick poll, not arsed about too much discussion just want a yes or no answer.

Now the season is complete we can have a look, we finished 8th after spending loads but also won the FA cup again.

In my personal opinion we brought in good players, 4/5 all were key after the new manager took over and the other could be a superstar.

Ins: Pepe, Tierney, Luiz, Martinelli and Ceballos (Loan).
Absolute rubbish window except for Tierney.

We all watched Emery constantly tinkering with an absolute sh!t no. of CBs and a weak midfield letting in 50 goals in EPL, and did nothing serious about it. Luiz is just another rash Sokratis and Mustafi, And Cellabos was just a loanee from Spain who was always going to take the 1 year getting used to the pace of the prem and then leave.

Pepe may still come good, who knows. But he wasn't what was needed last year. Martinelli is OK but not much better than Saka so far.

A few of us said this last summer, I gave the window 5/10 in the poll, but was laughed at by the Bum Squad.:lol:

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Only a dummy would vote yes. We finished 8th in one of the weakest leagues ever.

Chelsea had a kid manager who couldn’t spend, Utd have the worst manager in the league, City lost 10 games and Sp**s had their issues.
Bit like 2015/16 when other teams had problems, but one team rampant. We came 2nd instead of coming 8th, but our entitled fans decided that was disgusting though and took Wenger out.LMAO.

How their tune has changed. Top 4 is now the ambition of most of our fans when once it was all a big yawn.

DasBootist

Arsenal are fourth in the 2020 league table (32 points, 12 behind Liverpool who are first) which isn't to be laughed at.

Tierney looks an impressive signing, as do Ceballos and Pepe. Luiz was only signed to replace Princess Koscielney, so he's neither here nor there. The posters equating our signings to Arsenal's league position without factoring Emery are trolls.

I'm excited to see what Arteta can accomplish with players he wants in the squad.

DasBootist

Bit like 2015/16 when other teams had problems, but one team rampant. We came 2nd instead of coming 8th, but our entitled fans decided that was disgusting though and took Wenger out.LMAO.

How their tune has changed. Top 4 is now the ambition of most of our fans when once it was all a big yawn.
Fans were unhappy because all Arsenal signed in the summer was Double Agent Cech, and see that summer as the opportune moment for Arsenal to have shown ambition and potentially be crowned champions.

The reality being that they ballsed it up like all the other 'Big Six' and enabled Leicester ****ing City to become champions. Stop mentioning Wenger, dude, because your argumentation lacks substance.

Top Bottom