• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dinos Mavropanos: Mavro Number 5

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Mavropanos won't stay here to be 4th choice because Holding Gabriel Saliba Mari all ahead of him. So we could use him to increase funds even if he became world class defender we won't feel sorry if we get 15-20m because we bought him for 2m so a good profit been made. Similar story with Guendouzi.

I just want him to be happy

Vanfrothan

Seems strange to say given how much we paid for this guy in comparison but I can see Mavropanos making it over Saliba.

Think injuries have really hampened his development but he seems to be back on track now and getting good reviews from playing in a top level league.

Remember making his debut against United and thinking he's the future here but hasn't had a run of games since that red against Leicester due to injuries/loans.

Was reading an interview with Minslat who was raving about him being one of the quickest centre backs in Germany, only behind Upamecano and also about his professional attitude and I think that's where he might have the edge over Saliba.

There's already been a few warning signs with Saliba in the press over the last few months and we know how much Arteta values a good attitude and what happens to players who don't fall in line.

The one thing that goes against Mavropanos is that he's not as good as Saliba when stepping out but as long as he's comfortable with the ball, it shouldn't hold him back too much.

Still think Saliba is a top talent but if we think it's going to be one or the other that stays here, I think it might be closer than some people think.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

LCB is sorted with Gabriel and Khali.

RCB depends on a lot of things. Does Luiz get a new deal? Is Holding a starter or backup? Will Chambers be sold? Will Saliba be sold? If a few of those leave do we sign a new CB?

That’s all before they think of Mavropanos.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Passing looks pretty good to me

Yeah, his passing has never been a problem. He's very solid on the ball. The bigger issues are the injuries and the occasional nervousness. He's got excellent fundamentals for a CB but it's likely we're gonna lose him because we just have way too many CBs.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, his passing has never been a problem. He's very solid on the ball. The bigger issues are the injuries and the occasional nervousness. He's got excellent fundamentals for a CB but it's likely we're gonna lose him because we just have way too many CBs.

Yeah I saw a post a couple of pages ago where someone said he didn't suit Arteta's style

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Sadly I think the club will still decide to sell him, maybe they don't view him as 'ball-playing' enough, but i'm convinced he will reach a good level in the game. Has all the attributes, could see it from day one.

Kysus

It really all comes down to his ability on the ball, and for the most part not long-range passing but quick short passes, calmness on the ball, ability to drive out with dribbling etc.
Sokratis was a great defender with lots of pace and decent long-range passing but for the way we play technically just not good enough.
Have never seen Mavro play but if he is not technicially gifted he probably does not stand a chance to make it here.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
It really all comes down to his ability on the ball, and for the most part not long-range passing but quick short passes, calmness on the ball, ability to drive out with dribbling etc.
Sokratis was a great defender with lots of pace and decent long-range passing but for the way we play technically just not good enough.
Have never seen Mavro play but if he is not technicially gifted he probably does not stand a chance to make it here.

Doesn't mean he's not good enough though, just not the right style. You can still get to the top of game being an old-school defender, just look at Godin.

I'd hope Arteta at least gives him a look in training over the summer.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Nice to hear he's been doing well for Stuttgart and will be interesting to see if he's considered for our squad next season. It seemed Mustafi got a run of games in the side last season based on his long diagonal balls out of defence alone and that seems to be something Mavropanos excels at based on that highlights video so I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered in pre season.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think it is all down to whether Mikel thinks Holding or Saliba are good enough to be first choice next season, if he does then I could see a place for Mavro as the 5th choice central defender. If Mikel intends to sign a new starter then I think we have to sell one of Saliba or Mavro

Holding, Saliba, Mavro
Gabriel, Mari

or

?, Holding, Saliba/Mavro
Gabriel, Mari

The first option looks decent but very inexperienced, I guess it depends on how much money we have and our priorities.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I think it is all down to whether Mikel thinks Holding or Saliba are good enough to be first choice next season, if he does then I could see a place for Mavro as the 5th choice central defender. If Mikel intends to sign a new starter then I think we have to sell one of Saliba or Mavro

Holding, Saliba, Mavro
Gabriel, Mari

or

?, Holding, Saliba/Mavro
Gabriel, Mari

The first option looks decent but very inexperienced, I guess it depends on how much money we have and our priorities.

I know Arteta speaks positively of him and gave him a new deal, but there's no way Arteta sees Holding as a starter next season. When was the last game he started? Luiz has been our starting RCB in all the important games recently. Tells me he sees Holding as a squad option, which is fine.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

At VfB Stuttgart, Konstantinos Mavropanos has stabilized his performances as well as gotten his physical problems under control. The loan ends this summer, after that he's going back to London where he's under contract at Arsenal until 2024. The Greek, who's been recently nominated for the National Team for the first time, is open to staying another year in Stuttgart. But what's the Gunner's standpoint? Sven Mislintat tries to use his contacts, but he also knows: "The better Dinos plays, the less chance we got to loan him for another year."

Mavropanos also called up to the Greek NT for the first time. Quite an abundancy of players who made it to their NTs at Stuttgart in recent years. According to insiders that's one reason so many young talents and their agents think highly of Stuttgart.

Benji Pavard -> France
Nico Gonzalez -> Argentina
Mateo Klimowicz -> Germany U21
Orel Mangala -> Belgium
Sasa Kalajdzic -> Austria

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

At VfB Stuttgart, Konstantinos Mavropanos has stabilized his performances as well as gotten his physical problems under control. The loan ends this summer, after that he's going back to London where he's under contract at Arsenal until 2024. The Greek, who's been recently nominated for the National Team for the first time, is open to staying another year in Stuttgart. But what's the Gunner's standpoint? Sven Mislintat tries to use his contacts, but he also knows: "The better Dinos plays, the less chance we got to loan him for another year."

Mavropanos also called up to the Greek NT for the first time. Quite an abundancy of players who made it to their NTs at Stuttgart in recent years. According to insiders that's one reason so many young talents and their agents think highly of Stuttgart.

Benji Pavard -> France
Nico Gonzalez -> Argentina
Mateo Klimowicz -> Germany U21
Orel Mangala -> Belgium
Sasa Kalajdzic -> Austria

I need you seal of approval, Toby. Watching him regulary does he have "it" to succeed here?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Hope the club are thinking about giving him a chance, looks to have everything you want in a CB and seems to be putting it together now.

Remain unconvinced on all of our other CB options, bar Gabriel...think Mavro deserves a chance to play with him next seaon.

Top Bottom