• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Do we have any world-class players?

Currently, do Arsenal have any world-class players)

• Total voters

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
I don’t see it as world class = best in the world. For me it’s more of an abstract stamp of quality and at any given point in time there can be loads of, or none, world class players in any given position.

Really curious to hear what the last WC player Arsenal had was in your opinion then.

Saliba for me is on the same level as the best CBs in Arsenal history, just lacking the team achievements. Hell he is up there with the best in PL history too.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Really curious to hear what the last WC player Arsenal had was in your opinion then.

Saliba for me is on the same level as the best CBs in Arsenal history, just lacking the team achievements. Hell he is up there with the best in PL history too.
In my view, these are mostly popularity contests. Football is a team game, who cares about which Janet and John is playing as long as you win things?

If one is to indulge in this, Saliba is obviously a world class player. Ødegaard and Saka are probably there as well.

If world class means the best in your position, then every position and every player will be argued over, and I doubt there is any player in any position that is unquestionably the best in the world in his position.

So it is mostly a moot debate really.

edited for horrible grammar

roz

Fake News Merchant
Saliba, Saka, Gabriel & Ødegaard for me.
Our CB pairing is the best in football. Ødegaard has everything in his game, does stuff no other players in our team can do & Saka is Saka. Unbelievably mature & gets better every season imo.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
Big Willy and no1 else, football is in decline.
Bro White Richarlison starts for Germany at striker and the Brazilian one starts for Brazil at striker. Look at the total nothing footballers with good physical tools starting up top for the two biggest football factories in terms of nations. It’s scary if you look 2002 Brazilian team technically and compare it to the current so called best teams in the world today. Are there 3 players under 35 right now as good technically or as fun to watch as Fat Ron, Rivaldo, and Ronaldino in their pomp? Cafu at fullback. If Bebeto played today they would shoot him up with PEDs, send him to the weight room and grind him into a robot by age 12 at the academy

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Bro White Richarlison starts for Germany at striker and the Brazilian one starts for Brazil at striker. Look at the total nothing footballers with good physical tools starting up top for the two biggest football factories in terms of nations. It’s scary if you look 2002 Brazilian team technically and compare it to the current so called best teams in the world today. Are there 3 players under 35 right now as good technically or as fun to watch as Fat Ron, Rivaldo, and Ronaldino in their pomp? Cafu at fullback. If Bebeto played today they would shoot him up with PEDs, send him to the weight room and grind him into a robot by age 12 at the academy
Nope! Money and fitness has taken over from technical/flair players. Which in turn makes football look boring. Our football isnt pretty, yeah we scored lots of goals. But the difference from 20 years ago is night and day. We were lucky to witness greatness. We need a new Wenger, no more of Stoke on steroids!

Farzad

Nope! Money and fitness has taken over from technical/flair players. Which in turn makes football look boring. Our football isnt pretty, yeah we scored lots of goals. But the difference from 20 years ago is night and day. We were lucky to witness greatness. We need a new Wenger, no more of Stoke on steroids!
Yup! I don’t want to know how much an attacker runs around without doing anything worthwhile. I want an attacker to make those handful of plays in the match that break it open and gets you off your seat. The extra goal numbers are down to a juiced ball and basically legislating defending down

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

But would that 2002 Brazilian side win today? In many ways, this is an old debate. My generation would venerate the 1982 Brazil side pretty much above all else, but realistically, Man City or Arsenal would absolutely destroy that side.

I think sometimes 'the past is a different country; they do things different there' (Hartley). For football that is probably especially true. That being said, football at times is the infinite battle between love, beauty, romance, style vs machine, structure, prostitution and result. You pick your side.

This is still worth a look:

Farzad

But would that 2002 Brazilian side win today? In many ways, this is an old debate. My generation would venerate the 1982 Brazil side pretty much above all else, but realistically, Man City or Arsenal would absolutely destroy that side.

I think sometimes 'the past is a different country; they do things different there' (Hartley). For football that is probably especially true. That being said, football at times is the infinite battle between love, beauty, romance, style vs machine, structure, prostitution and result. You pick your side.

This is still worth a look:

Yes but do those Brazilian talents also get the benefits of modern ball, rules, and training i think they make minded meat of this team. 82 was a legendary side that never won it all but should have. Zico was the first footballer other than Pele i knew by name. He would terrorize defenders today if he was both protected and got benefits of modern fitness. If you go by raw goals the game is great but as the highlights you posted prove not all goals created equal

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Saliba and at a push Ødegaard are the only true world class talents that we have.

Gabriel put in a world class body of work in the season just gone, if he repeats that next year he goes into that bracket too

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Mourinho's opening repertoire would definitely include the Petrov as Black, and the London system as White

I play both of these aggressively. Looking at the Petrov, it's the same initial move order as Stafford Gambit. Which has many pitfalls for white if we study Eric Rosen.

And the London System, you can point your bishop and queen at king's side, counter king side castling with queen side castling and pawn storm towards the kingside.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yes but do those Brazilian talents also get the benefits of modern ball, rules, and training i think they make minded meat of this team. 82 was a legendary side that never won it all but should have. Zico was the first footballer other than Pele i knew by name. He would terrorize defenders today if he was both protected and got benefits of modern fitness. If you go by raw goals the game is great but as the highlights you posted prove not all goals created equal
They'd probably then be pressed through the current tactical mantra. Would they be able to express their individual talent under how football is being played today? I'm not sure.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Depends how you quantify world class. I think Saliba is not up for debate.

Then you have Ødegaard, Saka, Rice, Gabriel following close behind. Some people would argue that 1 or 2 of those guys are world class (or on the edge of it).

City have KDB, Haaland, Rodri, Bernardo silva. KDB and Bernardo getting old so will have to find alternatives soon.

I don’t think they have any more. I still put Foden in the same bracket as Saka. If he was to join a team not as dominant as city I’m convinced he wouldn’t look as good as he did last season.

City decimate us world class player wise but I think when it comes to the bracket just below we have a lot of players at a great age. I think we’re in better shape in that regard for having a few world class players soon.

outlawz

Southgate's waistcoat knitter
They'd probably then be pressed through the current tactical mantra. Would they be able to express their individual talent under how football is being played today? I'm not sure.
Pressing also didn't start with Pep. Sacchi's Milan were renowned for their high court press, not to mention the Dutch from the 70's. They were praised for their tactics, but people now have disdain for it.

People who whinge about modern day pressing - go watch this.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Pressing also didn't start with Pep. Sacchi's Milan were renowned for their high court press, not to mention the Dutch from the 70's. They were praised for their tactics, but people now have disdain for it.

When I use the word 'pressed' in my post, it didn't refer to pressing, rather being 'forced' through the current idea of system football.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Always amazes me how football before the mid 90's usually looks like a playground kick about

Emibury

The thread has been an entertaining read. People have such an odd definition of "world class" - some people seem to equate that to being a generational level talent or amongst the all time greats. If you look at squad value, Arsenal is third in the world right now according to Transfermarkt (behind Real Madrid and City). If we don't have any world class players then almost no club does.

With a more reasonable definition - say in the top few in their position in the world - then clearly we have at least four: Saka, Ødegaard, Rice and Saliba. I think White and Gabriel aren't far off either. So my answer is 4-6 world class players.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, July 16

Arsenal have rejected a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe from Fulham, who are now considering a second bid [Simon Jones - MailSport]

Marseille are keen to sign Eddie Nketiah as they look to replace the outgoing Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang [Simon Jones - MailSport]

Latest posts

Top Bottom