• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Does Wenger deserve a statue at the Emirates?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Liverpool and Newcastle were regular high spenders and achieved very little. The most important factor being their managers werent right. If you have the right manager and spending you're on the right track. Then its about luck, see Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool.

Chelsea when they started spending got the combination right. Spent big and brought in the best manager outside of England and had roaring success. They could have appointed Harry Redknapp instead and floundered. But even chelsea fell short due to luck in Europe. We didnt have the money but had the manager and no luck.

The manager can make average players good, good players better and great players world class. This is an argument as old as time between myself and @Makingtrax lol. Money only means starting with a better caliber of player but if the manager cant get them to work it's pointless. See Mark Hughes at City.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
as I said the difference was our strategy diverged from spending on players to spending on bricks and mortar. To a point we were spending relatively similar amounts and having relative success. The pinnacle being the invincible season that coincided with our peak spending years.

You could simply argue that Wenger was a cheque book manager because once the cheques on footballs dried up so did his success on the pitch. Which ultimately seems your aim as you've said without money nobody would know who Ferguson was.

It's the same argument that people make for Pep. if only he didnt have money? Might it be that without money these managers would be latter year Wenger. Doing a good job in difficult circumstances. Close but never able to bridge the final gap? Some great football but done over on the big occasion?
That's a fair assessment, we were spending alright, but on bricks and mortar.

Ferguson was a very good manager. There have been plenty of managers with the richest teams in European leagues who didn't win trophies as regularly as him. He maximised his investment, no doubt.

But I still maintain that winning 10epl titles over those 17 years of rivarly on £340m net spend is a lot easier than coming in the top 4 every year and only winning 3epl titles on £30m. That's all. If you disagree, that's fine.

Last edited:

Vibra

Established Member
A thread with this title has 8 pages of actual discussion. I am lost for ****ing words, holy ****

Latest posts

Top Bottom