• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

"doing it" for aaron...did we for eddie?

scruzgooner

forgive me if my advancing age has robbed me of correctly remembering.

but i don't remember this kind of response from the blogosphere, or from the crowd (other than the arsenal-croatia community, and those who responded to it and through it). we fell apart as a team, and there were very few calls (iirc) for "winning it for eduardo" when tiny broke edu's leg.

just wondering if that's a reflection of something underlying in the supporters, the team's mood and response, or if it's nothing at all...

and, let me add, i am completely on board with what's going on for aaron. the atmosphere at tomorrow's game should be brilliant. i just wonder if eddie might feel a bit like "why not for me?"...

est

You don't remember it just because we failed to win anything that year.

scruzgooner

sorry, lagos. i just don't remember the whole "win the season for eddie" campaign the way it's happening towards aaron. just wondering (a) if i misremembered, (b) if it means anything, and/or (c) if it means nothing.

progman07

Established Member
We have drawn the Birmingham game, while we won against Stoke = different midset after the game.

scruzgooner

est said:
lol...then i don't remember it. i remember the slide downslope after brum, and probably didn't see much beyond it... :cry:

scruzgooner

progman07 said:
We have drawn the Birmingham game, while we won against Stoke = different midset after the game.
that's my take on it, i remember it being horrifically sad after both his leg bring broken and the draw. the feeling i had the moment clichy was called for that peno is etched in my very soul...

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
You have to consider just how important winning the Stoke game is compared to drawing the Brum game. It gives us a completely different mindset going into the final 10 games. Add the eerily similar circumstances to 2 years ago and its bound to instill a feeling in the team that we will not repeat the same mistakes this time round.

Abs

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
est said:
lol...then i don't remember it. i remember the slide downslope after brum, and probably didn't see much beyond it... :cry:

Exactly we just didnt realise how big it was back then, we have learned our lesson and will use this as motivation. We the fans will need to play even bigger role this time and lift the players to the best we can.

The fact that every c"nt manager and pundit backed the thug so much that he came out today and said he's not gonna change his style and will be as committed tells me people havent learned. The only way things will change is if Rooney breaks his leg, I wonder how many of them will come out and defend the guy that breaks Rooneys leg?

scruzgooner

Armor for Sleep said:
You have to consider just how important winning the Stoke game is compared to drawing the Brum game. It gives us a completely different mindset going into the final 10 games.

of course, iirc had we won at birmingham we'd've been 8 pts. clear, or 7. that made it hurt even more than just the last minute-ness of the draw, and the method.

Armor for Sleep said:
Add the eerily similar circumstances to 2 years ago and its bound to instill a feeling in the team that we will not repeat the same mistakes this time round.

very germane. we've (unfortunately :shock: ) got a track record on how to NOT to handle the afters of such a horrific assault.

Captain

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
progman07 said:
that's my take on it, i remember it being horrifically sad after both his leg bring broken and the draw. the feeling i had the moment clichy was called for that peno is etched in my very soul...

adding to this; there was also the Gallas sideshow, Hleb going to get ice cream, 'will he, won't he' on Flamini's contract.

We really ****ed up that season.

otfgoon

Established Member
To be honest asking this is like asking why it's dark during the night and why there is light during the day.. it should be pretty obvious :/

scruzgooner

Captain said:
scruzgooner said:
progman07 said:

adding to this; there was also the Gallas sideshow, Hleb going to get ice cream, 'will he, won't he' on Flamini's contract.

We really f*d up that season.
yep, all true. also hleb's little slap happiness to end his season.

scruzgooner

otfgoon said:
To be honest asking this is like asking why it's dark during the night and why there is light during the day.. it should be pretty obvious :/
gosh, thanks for that. i appreciate your taking the time to write... :roll:

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
very germane. we've (unfortunately :shock: ) got a track record on how to NOT to handle the afters of such a horrific assault.

It only happened once - in what was this team's (the new group after the Invincibles) only title challenge. Our reaction this time round is as a result of winning the game and our desire to right the wrongs of 2 years ago.

Goonereagle

I'd say the difference is that we drew the Brum game and after there was a lot of focus on Gallas' sulk, and the media opted for the division story rather than the unity.

The win a Stoke was huge and showed the unity after the game. I do hope the 'Do it for Aaron' theme doesn't put too much personal pressure on the boys.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
There was different attitude after the Brum game, because many things happened during and after the game which completely disrupted our players.

During the game after the injury, we had several chances to bury the game, and a short lack of concentration from Clichy made the ref to give an undeserved penalty. Then it was the whole Gallas mad-moments fiasco. Wenger post-match comments only added to overall chaos that had dwindled inside our team.

Unfortunately Wenger had decided to dwell too much on Eduardo injury, although we were still leading the league by 3 points. He was going about if for a good 2-3 weeks period, while poor results were making us lose the grip on the league (4 draws in a row).

This time, though, I believe there's a completely opposite mindset. The performance at Stoke was very encouraging and you could feel something happened with this team that night. I wish that moment will be a moment where we won the title.

qs

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
sorry, lagos. i just don't remember the whole "win the season for eddie" campaign the way it's happening towards aaron. just wondering (a) if i misremembered, (b) if it means anything, and/or (c) if it means nothing.

There was but it was short lived due to us falling apart.

I also think because its happened again us fans are feeling a bit more like we are a club persecuted both on the field and in the press and its brought us together a bit more. The general positive mood due to being 3 points off top helps too.

I think Eddie will feel the "do it for Aaron" stronger than anyone really.

Top Bottom