• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Indeed it's not really clear if the role Lacazette is playing is more down to adaptation from both player and manager, or if this is truly the way Arteta intends to play.

The relentless pursuit of Vlahovic lets me know if a suitable no.9 was on the table we'd take it, so I agree with @RunTheTrap here.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
He's the sort of guy that if we signed this place would go into meltdown about but he'd actually do a good job.

Looking at his profile and the way he's progressed over the past few years I struggle to see what he lacks to fit into our system other than the question mark over his injury, which is fair enough.

Richarlison is the one you really want to avoid at Everton. Real talent, turns up whenever he fancies it which is about every 5 games.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
P.S a False 9 puts more pressure on the likes of Saka, Martinelli and ESR to be our primary source of goals. They’re doing fine this season but compared to more established wide forwards they’re behind. We are currently on Salah, Mane, Jota, Dias for Liverpool. Hence why a CF who’s a bit older would be the best bet for us. E.g Osimhen, Darwin Nunez etc etc.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Tbh I don't even disagree with you but to play devil's advocate kind of - once somethings become a trend - (false 9 and wingers score goals) it's usually time to start thinking about adapting or finding other options because everyone's gonna figure out how to defend against it
That is true tbh.

This trend is kind of a forced one tbh, every team would sign a top no9 if they could there just aren’t enough in the market. I guess Mikel could just be refusing to compromise.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I’ve heard this argument many times before-and what you’ve said has truth to it, it doesn’t tell the whole story. Both City and Chelsea both wanted a CF in the summer. Neither teams planned to go down the False 9 route, however, due to the dearth of quality number 9’s we are seeing a lot more false strikers. Don’t get it twisted though. If there were more quality strikers, Cjty and Chelsea would have got them. Hence why City are heavily linked with Halaand and why Chelsea will bring back Broja in the summer. All teams want a traditional CF, even Liverpool stick with Origi despite his flaws because they know he’s worth a lot to them in certain scenarios.
I probably wasn’t clear enough in my post because a few have pointed this out to me.

I know a no9 is ideal, I’m just questioning how ideal is it if the player in question is DCL. The teams above us would rather try something else than sign a player like him I think.

There are some very very good forwards out there, I’m questioning if signing DCL ahead of one of them is the best use of the transfer budget.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Regardless of how he'd fit into our side I don't like the idea of spending a decent chunk of cash on someone who you don't know if you'll have available week to week, even more so with extra matches next season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

City drew and couldn’t score and took a very lucky 1-0 win against Everton thanks to the ref. Once again you see at times their lack of presence in the penalty area is a problem when the 1-2s are off and then can’t buy cheap goals

Harz

We could just buy a fake 9 and a real 9
For me it's a question of funds. That's why I'd rather extend Lacazette and spend big on someone like Vlahovic, granted there's a target like that in the market.

DCL is too expensive to be a backup and not good enough to be the undisputed starting striker. Those funds would be better spent elsewhere, like contract extensions or the midfield.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It all depends on the cost - He'd be my number 1 choice as a 'plan B striker' if we can get someone else in addition. It's really not hard to imagine DCL getting on the end of quite a few TIerney and Saka crosses. He'd offer something very different and can make us more unpredictable.

Injuries are a concern, but his character and resilience is Giroud-like and seeing the massive leaps that Giroud took in his game here, I wouldn't be too shocked if Calvert Lewin's career has a similar trajectory. If Everton go down they might be lucky to get 40 million for him.

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
With his woeful injury record I wouldn't want to pay more than £30-35m to be honest, saying that he would be a great 'plan B' striker and a big upgrade on Nketiah.

I can see Everton wanting a higher fee than that, I don't think he would be happy with a rotational role even if we qualify for the Champions League, I would imagine he would want high wages, he has got to be one of the top earners at Everton.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

With his woeful injury record I wouldn't want to pay more than £30-35m to be honest, saying that he would be a great 'plan B' striker and a big upgrade on Nketiah.

I can see Everton wanting a higher fee than that, I don't think he would be happy with a rotational role even if we qualify for the Champions League, I would imagine he would want high wages, he has got to be one of the top earners at Everton.
Not sure they can be picky if they go down. It's remarkable how they've gotten themselves in this pickle.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think DCL would be a good signing. Is he injury prone? Tbh its mainly this season due to 2 big injuries, so he's missed a lot of games. In normal seasons he misses the odd game, nothing unusual. 2 seasons ago he played every single PL game. At 24 he would be a great addition to our team, he seems to be a natural scorer so I think he's worth a try. Having said that, if we get top 4 new doors will open, but my point is that I don't think he can be classed as injury prone, so that shouldn't stop us. If a better option comes along then great.

ragnarock

I think DCL would be a good signing. Is he injury prone? Tbh its mainly this season due to 2 big injuries, so he's missed a lot of games. In normal seasons he misses the odd game, nothing unusual. 2 seasons ago he played every single PL game. At 24 he would be a great addition to our team, he seems to be a natural scorer so I think he's worth a try. Having said that, if we get top 4 new doors will open, but my point is that I don't think he can be classed as injury prone, so that shouldn't stop us. If a better option comes along then great.
25 tomorrow…really put a damper on the whole thing for me. I’m out.

Top Bottom