• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dušan Vlahović

Which club will Vlahovic end up at?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not many on this forum can tick neurons to make this kind of thoughts. Schick at 25-26 is producing same numbers Lewa is doing with half of a team Lewa has at Bayern. But I don't think many would say Lew would be average here only because he is from Bundesliga, which I rate better and quicker than Serie A.

People think Vlahovic is immediately 20+ goals like he wouldn't need adaptation at 21 from a very slow league.

And 25-26 is still young for a CF btw.

There are strikers who score a lot of goals in inferior teams then make the move to a big team and struggle. Schik is a bit of a journeyman. He struggled in the Serie A btw. The same league Vlahovic has been killing. He moved to Leipzig and couldn't establish himself. He is currently doing well at Leverkusen, but I don't think we should be the club to take another risk on him.

There is some odd assumption that he would be cheap aswell. They just bought him. He isnt going cheap. He would probably cost around the same.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In reference to your last paragraph - yes is the answer.

It’s the type of gamble Arsenal must take. It’s make or break time for the top 4. If the gamble pays off then that sets the way going forward. Scrimping on a cheaper signing like we’ve always done in the past has led us to come up short so many times and stunt our progress for more years.

With Newcastle eventually emerging we need to build a quality squad fast so we can have a period of dominance like Liverpool (I hope).
I call this the 'more money, more better' fallacy. There is no guarantee a €300k/week player will outperform a €100-150k/week player. In fact, lots of people on this forum complain that our players get lazy after getting a big payday or that players who liven up when their contract is ending are just doing it for said payday.

I like Vlahovic, but I reckon Jonathan David or Alexander Isak (just as an example) would not demand such an outrageous wage and also have the chance to take us up a level.

The real risk is that players like Saka, ESR, Martinelli will start demanding €200k+ during their next negoations as well, when they see an unproven 21 y.o. walk into the club with such wages. If we don't make it into top 4, that's a lodestone around our neck that could sink us.
Not many on this forum can tick neurons to make this kind of thoughts. Schick at 25-26 is producing same numbers Lewa is doing with half of a team Lewa has at Bayern. But I don't think many would say Lew would be average here only because he is from Bundesliga, which I rate better and quicker than Serie A.

People think Vlahovic is immediately 20+ goals like he wouldn't need adaptation at 21 from a very slow league.

And 25-26 is still young for a CF btw.
Exactly. Both represent a risk that they would need to adapt to this league and neither guarantee 20+ goals in their first full season.

I also think the age profile around 25-26 makes sense given that we have the youngest starting squad in the PL.
There are strikers who score a lot of goals in inferior teams then make the move to a big team and struggle. Schik is a bit of a journeyman. He struggled in the Serie A btw. The same league Vlahovic has been killing. He moved to Leipzig and couldn't establish himself. He is currently doing well at Leverkusen, but I don't think we should be the club to take another risk on him.

There is some odd assumption that he would be cheap aswell. They just bought him. He isnt going cheap. He would probably cost around the same.
I didn't assume cheap, I think I posted he would probably cost around €50m, about double what he cost Leverkusen (and more or less in the middle of their two record transfers Havertz @ 80m and Bailey @ 30m).

Schick was just an example, by the way. I like him most out of the options discussed here, so I used him, but the same argument could be made with Isak or David, for example.

Goonger

I call this the 'more money, more better' fallacy. There is no guarantee a €300k/week player will outperform a €100-150k/week player. In fact, lots of people on this forum complain that our players get lazy after getting a big payday or that players who liven up when their contract is ending are just doing it for said payday.

I like Vlahovic, but I reckon Jonathan David or Alexander Isak (just as an example) would not demand such an outrageous wage and also have the chance to take us up a level.

The real risk is that players like Saka, ESR, Martinelli will start demanding €200k+ during their next negoations as well, when they see an unproven 21 y.o. walk into the club with such wages. If we don't make it into top 4, that's a lodestone around our neck that could sink us.

Exactly. Both represent a risk that they would need to adapt to this league and neither guarantee 20+ goals in their first full season.

I also think the age profile around 25-26 makes sense given that we have the youngest starting squad in the PL.

We don't know if he's really demanding that wage though, that's been denied by other sources.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I didn't assume cheap, I think I posted he would probably cost around €50m, about double what he cost Leverkusen (and more or less in the middle of their two record transfers Havertz @ 80m and Bailey @ 30m).

Schick was just an example, by the way. I like him most out of the options discussed here, so I used him, but the same argument could be made with Isak or David, for example.

I think we need to stop being accountants and have a long term view. There have been so many windows where we haven't paid the fees for players. Also Windows where we bought nobody at all.

If we want to be a big club and compete with oil money, then we need to act like one.

Laca, Auba, Pepe, Partey and Xhaka are probably our top earners. We are rebuilding. That means we will have players who will step into their wage bracket as we are looking to shift 4 of those 5.

Vlahovic, Saka, new cm and whoever else performs will step into those roles.

I think we would have Vlahovic on around 200k, which means personally Saka would be made our highest earner.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I think he has just got better.
16 goals in 13 games in the Bundesliga this season. How much better do you think the EPL is?

I'm still all in on Vlahovic though. At least he's realistic whereas Schick isn't going anywhere soon. And we don't have an advantage to sign him like we do with Vlahovic.
Too many clubs fleeced by Bundesliga signings recently, the new eredivisie. Lets hope Vlahovic is like Tomi. 😁

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Not by me. He was touted as a big talent years ago, then dropped off significantly, but he seems to have found his old potential at Leverkusen. To be fair, it could be a purple patch or he could just suit the league very well, but I think he could function well leading our line in the PL. The upside is he has gone through his ups and downs already. Probably won't explode to many levels higher, but he is a good striker. Vlahovic could explode, his potential does look insane, but he could also be another Jovic (or many other examples).

By the way, I'm not advocating against Vlahovic, I get the appeal. There are just some signs that are worrisome. Would you give a 21 y.o. €300k/week here when he just walks into the team?
Btw everyone mentioning Jovic, he was a strike partnership striker, around a big man when he made his name at Frankfurt (with Haller). Different type of game playing as a lone striker without a CAM with greedy wingers at Madrid (mad respect for Benz)

Dutch D

We don't know if he's really demanding that wage though, that's been denied by other sources.
That's true, and if there is a reasonable wage attached (say Pepe level - 150k) I would be in favour of taking the risk.
I think we need to stop being accountants and have a long term view. There have been so many windows where we haven't paid the fees for players. Also Windows where we bought nobody at all.

If we want to be a big club and compete with oil money, then we need to act like one.

Laca, Auba, Pepe, Partey and Xhaka are probably our top earners. We are rebuilding. That means we will have players who will step into their wage bracket as we are looking to shift 4 of those 5.

Vlahovic, Saka, new cm and whoever else performs will step into those roles.

I think we would have Vlahovic on around 200k, which means personally Saka would be made our highest earner.
Agree we need a long term view and don't have to be prude about money to achieve that vision. Not sure if Vlahovic is the only option to fit into that view, which is my entire point. Need to assess the pro's and cons of all available striker options and make a sensible choice.

I would also bump up Saka, significantly. Future of the club basically.

DennisTheLegend

Reminds me of RvP a little, and cost sééms (can't know for sure of course) more manageable than Isak/Vlahovic/David who come with their own downsides.

To be honest none of the options unequivocally excite me, though.
What would excite you? Calvert Lewin / Ollie Watkins? Our crossing and set pieces have massively improved - we need a brut in the box.

I think Vlahovic can easily score 20+ league goals in our existing system…

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Vlahovic’s agents want 8m euro commission from Fiorentina to renew his contract, and they want 10% of any sell-on fee from both Fiorentina and the buying club. Agents are ruining football.

If this agent stuff is true then to be honest I'd back the club to walk away like we did with Aouar. It spells trouble and it's not going to be helpful in the long term or with other negotiations. He looks good, but there are other strikers for the sort of money that's getting talked about.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If this agent stuff is true then to be honest I'd back the club to walk away like we did with Aouar. It spells trouble and it's not going to be helpful in the long term or with other negotiations. He looks good, but there are other strikers for the sort of money that's getting talked about.

A bit silly to miss out on a player you desperately want because you might have to give his agent a sweetener. If we had to pay Raiola £20m to secure Haaland nobody would think twice about it.

Yeah agents are leeches, but that’s the way it is.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I dont know how true this is, but didn't Wenger walk away from Mbappe over agent fees? Or it at least contributed to him not pressing for the deal. Think they wanted 7m in fees.

Sometimes you just have to pay up and hope all works out in the end.

Dutch D

What would excite you? Calvert Lewin / Ollie Watkins? Our crossing and set pieces have massively improved - we need a brut in the box.

I think Vlahovic can easily score 20+ league goals in our existing system…
Haaland, Martinez.

I like David, Isak, Vlahovic, Schick, Gouiri as options. Those options would be exciting, but they all have some question marks around him.

I've gone off DCL due to injuries.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I hate agents and think they’re parasites but in this specific case a horrible agent could kill off the competition and allow us to compete for a player we wouldn’t otherwise get anywhere near.

If we did it we’d have to make sure everything about the player, his attitude, his contract length/size is spot on and it would still undoubtedly carry risks for future negotiations.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Haaland, Martinez.

I like David, Isak, Vlahovic, Schick, Gouiri as options. Those options would be exciting, but they all have some question marks around him.

I've gone off DCL due to injuries.
Lautaro!? Vlahovic is far clear of him. From what I can tell

Haaland

Vlahovic

The rest.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
You cave in now you give in forever
That's my worry with it, agree with the two posters above that we would be absolutely raging of we missed out on the next Haaland over a couple of mil... Depends on the detail really, but if this guys agent really is a leech; if he's demanding a £200k + salary; sell on % plus a fee...

You are getting into the territory where you question whether the player is worth the hassle I think. I'm not sure what I think, but if we could put the money in this window into a midfield upgrade (Bruno, Tyler Adams, Tielemans) and then look again at strikers in the summer then it wouldn't be terrible. Means that they need to reconcile with Auba though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom