• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nketiah: Better than R9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I don't know why any 19 year old would want to be third choice striker and get the odd game here and there in the cup or 10 minutes at the end of a PL game when he could potentially go on loan somewhere and get tonnes of game time. If it was me at 19 I'd want to be playing every game and getting all the experience I could.
We could technically start him in every Europa League group game, and in the "Whatever it's called now" Cup

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
agreed, but we should be faithful. for guy who have been at the academy since 6-7 years of age, it would be heartbreaking to keep performing so well and not even get a sniff. Afobe scored almost 70 goals in three season for the juniors (Wikipedia).

Players like Steven Fletcher, Nicky Butt and others were kept at Utd for almost 10 years. They could have been replaced with foreign guys but the Utd people persevered with them and they became fantastic players.

I am not criticizing our academy, or Wenger for not playing the guys, but I feel we have been very haphazard in this. There should be a clear indication to the players (and us) that you need to score, say 35 goals in a season to get into the first team.
TBF, I can remember at the time being disappointed in the Sanogo buy because I too wanted more game time for Afobe. I did find it strange we let him go so early.

I hear your take on UTD academy rejects but we have a way of doing things. We're the classy club (at least we like to think so) and as such we try to do things which are in everbody's interests (player included). Sure we get this wrong and it also bites us in the a$$ often but I feel pride in that.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wouldn't class AMN as a youth player anymore, definitely should be starting more games this season against lesser opposition. Bellerin obviously was but I'm talking about our current crop.

I don't know why any 19 year old would want to be third choice striker and get the odd game here and there in the cup or 10 minutes at the end of a PL game when he could potentially go on loan somewhere and get tonnes of game time. If it was me at 19 I'd want to be playing every game and getting all the experience I could.

Because most teams that Arsenal loan their players to are a bad fit and never work out. In fact this might be regular amongst the top 6. Harry Kane, as noted above, failed on almost all of his loans to do anything substantial. Sometimes the loans aren't the answer.

Talk about knee-jerk. Go look at all the academys. How many clubs are bringing through top talent in England? Harry Kane is about the only player I can think of who was given a chance and succeeded at a top 6 club. AND he went on several loans before they took the chance...

Breaking into the top tier of football is extremely difficult. It isn't just about talent. There is a huge mentality needed. We don;t know what happens behind the scenes but I can guarantee you we have a huge track record for giving youth a chance compared to the other top teams.
I think we do better than other teams, but the PL in general is terrible for bringing younger players through - and with the influx of real talents now coming through in the country at a number of clubs, this does need to change as soon as possible, especially if England want to get anywhere internationally.

Me personally, I'm not that bothered with England, but I was seduced by the idea of Arsenal having their own La Masia of sorts, playing the Arsenal way and producing first team capable players consistently. That should still be something we aim for IMO. But we'll never know how capable they are really if they don't play for us at some stage. Some will never get to that stage and I accept that. But perhaps this era of talent have earned enough of a right to get a look-in at least. I'm admittedly not a fan of the loan system either, simply because Arsenal fail to use it well, and loan clubs (particularly Championship teams) not only play very different to the way we want to play, but very often just refuse to play our players outside of unfruitful substitute appearances. Mavididi springs to mind as the biggest example of late, although his hamstring injuries haven't helped matters. Never got a decent look-in at Preston and when he went back to Charlton, they played him on the wing consistently when he's much better as a #9.

I hope if we're going to loan younger players to give them first team minutes this season, we are much more careful about who we loan them to and include clauses that necessitate first team appearances if we have to.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
but I was seduced by the idea of Arsenal having their own La Masia of sorts, playing the Arsenal way and producing first team capable players consistently.
While I too love this idea, I also want to challenge for the league and in England you simply can't do both.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
While I too love this idea, I also want to challenge for the league and in England you simply can't do both.
Therein lies the rub.

The club have to find a balance and in this uber competitive atmosphere, that means younger players are not going to get the chances they probably should get. You're gonna go for the surer thing. It disappoints me greatly but that can be assuaged if we actually challenge for something.

Things definitely have to change in England if they want to do this consistently. For now, the younger players are just going to have to really scrap and make their loans/small minute opportunities work. Even at a team like ours where we specifically give them games. They have to scrap, and work hard. I hope Emery gives them more of a team structure to fit into - Wenger gave them minutes but didn't really give them that in his later years - and that perhaps gives them the confidence to make a mark.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Sometimes the loans aren't the answer.
Loans are almost never the answer for us. There are very few teams that play the Arsenal way, and those that do are usually top teams in their own right.

The only loan in recent years that worked out sort of well for us was Wilshere to Bournemouth.

That's the similarity in style of play.

What was the point of Chambers to Middlesborough? Sure, he got game time, but his passing instincts are lower than they were, which is not what Wenger wanted from a CB. Note that last season, Chambers was our only CB whose first instinct was to clear the ball without thinking of passing it. Fine for Boro, but for us, that was not what we wanted. Mind, our other defenders were so garbage that it seemed an acceptable compromise, but ideally, that loan didn't work.

Similarly for strikers. We loan him out to some Championship team which lumps balls at him all game. Even most top Championship teams do this. What then? Will he develop?

Aevi

Hale End FC
Emery on how his centre forwards played…

I am very happy with their positioning off the ball and breaking the opposition’s lines. Then for the finishing, we want to continue on improving that, but we have very, very good strikers in Lacazette, Aubameyang and Nketiah. For me, the best situation tonight is that our striker took his chance tonight and grabbed the goal.

Hints at him being third choice in the position, promising...

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Nketiah has lots to learn from Afobe who in turns has lots to learn from Joshua King. King needs to learn from Son Heung Min who needs to learn from Vardy and Vardy from Aubameyang and then Auba learn from Kane. Kane then must learn from Messi.

That's basically how it goes.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think Eddie would learn a lot from Aubamyeng and Lacazette up until January and if needed he could go on a loan then.
I like this idea. You have a fairly good idea of how many fronts you;re truly fighting on in a season by January and also an idea of your league chances. With that knowledge in mind you can make a better decision for both club and player,

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
That's the similarity in style of play.
We loan him out to some Championship team which lumps balls at him all game. Even most top Championship teams do this. What then? Will he develop?

Have to agree here. Loan destinations should be chosen very carefully and not just for game time. In that sense the Nelson to Hoffenheim loan makes sense, e.g. If Nketiah cannot get loaned out to a team with a similar style he might as well stay til he gets a chance.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Let's be honest, Laca & Auba are going to be our strikers for the next 3 years.
The kid is fecked.
He's not ****ed. We just need to be smart about how we loan him and he needs to not be afraid to go outside of the country for truly competitive first team experience. Hopefully, we can do something with him like we've done with Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom